HybridZ

socal dog lovers

David K

Guys,

I adopted a sweet little 2-3 year old Boxer from the Downey animal control back in December. On the 7th night, she got in a huge fight with our older dog in the backyard. There was blood on the ground in the rain, but no major injuries...just nicks and small cuts on their ears, etc. We kept a close eye on them from then on, hoping it was just a fight where they were establishing who was boss. This morning i woke up and they were fighting in the kitchen. My older dog once again tore her up pretty bad. She has teeth marks on the back of her neck and shes bleeding a little. Its nothing major, i looked her over and i dont feel she needs to go to the vet. Im going to be washing her in a little bit.

Shes fixed and has all her shots, and has a microchip in her. I have no idea why the heck these dogs cant get along. Shes really licky licky and in the face to my 2 other dogs, so that may be a reason they are fighting. The Boxer loves to cuddle, she will sleep with you at night in the bed. She stays really clean if kept indoors. She pees outside, and will let you know when she needs to be let out. She also loves to go to the dog beach and dog park, also LOVES to play fetch and catch as well as tug of war.

I would be forever grateful if one of you SoCal guys would take her in. I was going to post on craigslist, but thought it would be the best thing if a HybridZ'er would give her a home. I cannot keep her anymore because i dont want any major injuries to any of the dogs. I just dont feel that my older dog should suffer because i was stupid enough to bring another dog into the house. Im in Norwalk and i will bathe her before transporting to your home, or you can come pick her up here.

boxer1.jpg

boxer2.jpg

boxer3.jpg

boxer4.jpg

Thats what my older dog did to her.

Once again, i wouldnt trust anyone other than a HybridZ'er to take her and give her some love. Shes a really sweet girl. She is the perfect family dog, for a family with NO PETS. She obviously doesnt get along with other dogs, and she does snap at my cat when hes minding his own business.

Her name is Muffin, according to my 4 year old son.

First, you cannot post pets on craigslist. Its against the policy and they will flag it down.

Be VERY picky about who adopts your dog, do your homework. It would my worst nightmare that someone who would abuse or do anything bad to/with your pup.

Evan

Sorry I know this post isn't too helpful. But thats the stuff that runs through my mind when I see pets posted up.

First, you cannot post pets on craigslist. Its against the policy and they will flag it down.

Yes you can. You can post any pet on craigslist, there is a dedicated section for pets. What you cannot do is post pets for sale.

Craigslist pets policy:

no animal sales or breeding -- rehoming with adoption fee is ok -- info on free to good home ads

I wouldnt put my girl on craigslist anyway. Pet saviors need not reply to this thread, im doing a fine job of treating this animal well.

All places that adopt you a dog usually want you to return it if there is a problem, it may even be in the contract. If you are worried about bringing her back to Downey, try finding an adoption group in your area, they will interview people to find the right home. Try looking here: Petfinder.com

Yes you can. You can post any pet on craigslist, there is a dedicated section for pets. What you cannot do is post pets for sale.

Craigslist pets policy:

I wouldnt put my girl on craigslist anyway. Pet saviors need not reply to this thread, im doing a fine job of treating this animal well.

David, don't get all bent out of shape over what I said, sorry if I pissed you off or incinuated(sp?) that you would not send her to a good home. I want your pup to go to a good home too.

Pretty dog BTW.

Evan

David,

Sounds like your first dog is showing dominance towards the Boxer. Granted the ♥♥♥♥ hit the fan on the 7th night it's not nearly enough time to see how they will be together. Did you introduce them on leads? Don't give up man however, If you are unwilling to work with the dog I would look into a rescue organization specific to the breed vice returning the dog to a shelter. Try this: http://www.boxer-rescue-la.com/

How old is the older dog? It may be time for the permanent nap. As dogs age, they can become unpredictable. Our shepard mix was very docile until about 13 years old. The last 6 months of her life she started exhibiting very agressive behaviour towards the other dogs we have. Boxers are very intelligent and will take to training well. Myfriend in NJ has had nothing but purebred boxers for almost 25 years now (on his third), and they are very sociable with other dogs as well as other animals in the house of given the proper opportunity and reinforcement on initial introductions/interactions.

There comes a time when they (olderr dogs) can slip what would normally be considered 'pack dominance' issues. The cuts on the boxer look pretty severe for a 'dominance' style of fight. If you have more than two dogs, they may be ganging up on the 'newcomer' and WILL kill it if led by an older dog that is starting to 'slip'.

Watch the older dog, especially around children. I would segregate the older dog until you can positively determine the source of it's behaviour.

It may simply be time to put it down. Dogs are not humans, and bad behaviour is dealt with simply: euthanasia. The bastardization of several breeds by poor breeding practices (pit bulls, rotts, etc) and refusal to cull unacceptable behaviours when displayed is a big problem leading to evermore restrictive ordinances.

Most important, protect your kids until you can determine what the older dog is doing, and why.

I would tend to keep the docile younger dog (especially around kids) and put the older, more aggressive dog out to adoption, or put it down.

Dogs are usually very cool about having other dogs around to play with...

Guest TeamNissan

I agree with Tony, several members of my family have had behavior issues with their older dogs and the vets always said the same thing.

I know it sucks, sorry to hear it but getting rid of the new one is just a band aid on a bigger problem. If the older one is showing these traits now, there is a strong chance its going to come up again in the future.