HybridZ

Manual Tranny with non hydralic clutch

Guest Locutus

I can't remember to many Chevy's that used a cable clutch. Many of the early ones used linkage and you do not want to do that. The only one I can think of off hand that used a cable was the Chevy Monza with the 262 SBC V8 in it.

If it where my car I would go hydraulic. I have researched both the Camaro and Corvette versions and think the 1984 and up is the best choice. Since the Z was already hyd. it is easy to switch. Pick up the '84 and up Vette bellhousing and slave cyl. Then get a Wilwood 7/8" master from Summit http://www.summitracing.com/index.htm Drill and tap the Z car clevis to match the Wilwood pushrod. The Wilwood will bolt right into the Z without modification. Have a local shop make up a braided stainless steel line to go between the slave and master cylinder. Install, fill, bleed and off you go. Looks and works just like the factory did it.

Guest Locutus

first off, I have little experience with chevy manual transmission, since the only 2 cars I had that had manual trannys were not chevy's. So the first question is, is there a chevy 5 or 6 speed manual, that has a cable type clutch instead of hydralic, and if thier is what kinda problems would their be using one of those instead of a hydralic t56 or such. If it is like ford then its just a matter of what bell housing you are using and the clutch fork etc. most of my experience with manual tranmissions is based on a 95 ford mustang as I replaced the throw out bearing twice in the years I owned it.(Ford crap for you). But it would be intresting to know if its possible to do with the chevy sb