HybridZ

losing brake fluid

hey guys, for the last 3 weeks i have been losing brake fluid pretty quickly. My car is an 81 280zx, so i have the dual brake master cylinder. Each time, the rear cylinder (closest to the cabin) is nearly empty, with just a little bit of fluid in the bottom. I can put brake fluid in it,(about a pint) and the brakes feel great, no mushy feeling at all. I just finished checking all of the brake lines, calipers, and bleeder valves, but everything was bone dry. now, about 4 months ago, i rebuilt my front calipers (after which the brakes were greatly improved) , but like i said i could find no leaks. I am thinking that the master cylinder may be going, and leaking internally... Thanks for help in advance

That is not a small leak. Maybe try having someone stand on the brake pedal nice and hard and then have a look.

It's a pretty simple system, MC, lines, slave cylinders (ie pistons if disc's, slaves if drum brakes), and it's supposed to be a closed system so if your loosing fluid, you definately have a leak. Sometimes drum brakes are hard to spot a leak in for awhile.

Pull the hose for the vacuum booster to the intake manifold. If it's wet inside (brake fluid) then your MC is leaking at the rear and fliud is being pulled into the booster. It ultimately ends up in the intake through the hose. I'd bet good money that's where your problem is. Replacement of the MC is the fix.

thanks guys; i had a feeling the master cylinder was the problem too, as it is a pretty serious leak indeed. couple questions- as i mentioned earlier, my brakes feel great as long as fluid is in the cylinder; however, i have heard of brakes going completely out, due to MC failure. reason i ask is im at school, where its harder to do work. also, how difficult is it to change the MC? thanks guys

my brakes feel great as long as fluid is in the cylinder; however, i have heard of brakes going completely out, due to MC failure. reason i ask is im at school, where its harder to do work. also, how difficult is it to change the MC? thanks guys

It's not to tough to change out, shouldn't even need to jack up the car so this is something you could do in the parking lot at school if you had to. Point is though.... brakes are not something to dink around with!!!! you could hurt yourself or someone else. If the master goes dry, you will have no brakes, instantly! Even if you have to pay a shop to do it, don't drive the car until it is done.

That fluid is going somewhere. Here is a simple test. Pump the brakes up with three or four quick pumps, then stand on the pedal... hard as you can. Keeping pressure on the pedal, if there is a leak, you will feel the pedal slowly going down. It could be the back wheel cylinders or the master. I suspect if it was the wheel cylinders you would see it drolling down the back side of the tires by now.