HybridZ

Valve springs.

Datsun260Z

Evenin' Z friends....

so today was a pretty special day. As I shared in another thread my Z has been a long time coming as a project. As of late I have been learning Machining and have had the opportunity to perform some of the machine work to my L28 with an N42 head.

Here's where I am at with my question. I began some preliminary inspections of all the head components - after I finished milling the head my primary focus was the springs. I only measured a few before I stopped. Seems they are 1 MM shorter than what the spec is on them in my manual. I guess what I want to know is, would you change them - or, would you be more inclined to simply make sure they're all equal.

Here's where I am at with this motor; some info that might help you help me.

I am not building the craziest outlandish motor here. What I am doing is simply cleaning things up. I want a tight motor that runs WELL. I am not looking to race, nor do I want or really care about HP at this time. My budget is tight, I am changing careers and we're having a baby. I enjoy the Z, I do everything myself - for the love of it and that it's really the only way I can have these things at this point. I am sure most of you can relate. Bottom line is, this isn't the last engine I bolt together, I assure you of that and frankly I'd much rather put time and effort and small amounts of investment into a first build...and learn something more about building engines before I get insane and build a stroker or whatever. I think you get the picture.

So - would you change these springs....and if you would...what kind of money should someone expect to put out for a set?

Thanks for everything, much appreciated as always.

tim

if it were me, and I had it apart doing other work, Id replace them. I dont know what other work youre doing to the head, but a weak (or broken) spring can screw up all the good work you did in addition to all kinds of other bad stuff. I personally wouldn't reuse "old" valve springs regardless what they measure. L series heads arent cheap to build, Valve springs are cheap compaired to the rest of the parts, and way cheaper than a dropped valve... I think I paid less than $100 for the last set of springs I ordered.

if it were me, and I had it apart doing other work, Id replace them. I dont know what other work youre doing to the head, but a weak (or broken) spring can screw up all the good work you did in addition to all kinds of other bad stuff. I personally wouldn't reuse "old" valve springs regardless what they measure. L series heads arent cheap to build, Valve springs are cheap compaired to the rest of the parts, and way cheaper than a dropped valve... I think I paid less than $100 for the last set of springs I ordered.

Hey thanks for the thoughts and advice.

I am really not doing much more than cleaning things up. I decked the head and that is pretty much what I am going to do. However, less then a 100 bucks...then I think I can make that happen. I thought there were much more than that.

Thanks again man, have a good one.

T