HybridZ

Check this out... S130 Pictures

Sonethirty

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical Japanese style...Not uncommon back there.

I've got an '82 USDM slicktop coupe. How rare are they?

Doesn't mean I have to like it :D

The average civic around here has a body kit and a shiny muffle like sticks up the back like a thong riding up a butt. Just because it's "average" doesn't mean I'm gonna like it.

I can understand why some people like it. It just goes against my main philosophy "form following function".

Anyway, a 82 USDM slicktop is very rare from what I understand. I don't think it really increases the value at all, but they're definately hard to find. Most of the 81-83 bits will bolt on directly to the older cars, just in many cases the holes weren't tapped for a lot of little things that developed later on. Basically, a 79' can always be turned into a 83', like this car (well, just the body from what we can tell, but possibly more). But to have a car that's an 82 that's a slick top, not a common combo at all, at least from what I've seen.

No matter how hard I try I can't seem to get concrete production figures on ANY option for the S130 cars, except for some fairly questionable color quanteties. Even the actual number of turbo cars in ever year is questionable from what I've seen.

• 1 month later...

You people with slick tops make me sick.

I've seen probably hundreds of S130 cars now since I started being obsessed with Z cars around 5 years ago, and I don't think I've ever seen a 81-83 slick top with my own eyes. It makes me wonder if certain dealers just didn't carry slick tops or something. Virtually all the slick tops I've seen in person have the 79'-80' hood, bumpers, etc, so they're definately the older cars.

Ahh, well my excuse is that I was at the airport in reno, and was running on just the battery, so I was rushing quite a bit trying to get up to date on my subscribed threads.

Thanks for correcting me, I would have gone on being semi-pissed there's so many 81-83 slick tops on the board...

You people with slick tops make me sick.

I've seen probably hundreds of S130 cars now since I started being obsessed with Z cars around 5 years ago, and I don't think I've ever seen a 81-83 slick top with my own eyes. It makes me wonder if certain dealers just didn't carry slick tops or something. Virtually all the slick tops I've seen in person have the 79'-80' hood, bumpers, etc, so they're definately the older cars.

hey Gollum maybe up in SF but in S Los Angeles there are quite a few. I own a 82 slick top (coupe) with no body alterations. i never thought that it was like a needle in the haystack find i only payed $600 for her to

SWEET!!!

Weather you like the look or not. A heavily cambered car is an awesome ride. The grip is amazing!

The tires do wear fast, but if you drive the car as intended. Tire wear is not a factor. Not sliding off the road IS!

I'll take full Grip @ 20lbs in a kiss your a** turn over white smoking the tires @10lbs any day.

Camber Me.

tc

• 1 month later...

It's got later s130 tail lights and hood, but early B pillar covers. I can't get to the eBay site, though. It's blocked for me. The DoD sucks. I've never seen an s130 slicktop in person. For a long time, I thought it was sort of an S2000 affair, where true hardtops weren't even available. That's pretty sweet that some of you have been able to find them, though.

Never knew they were "rare"...I've got an 82, my brother has a JDM 79 rhd with an SR20DET swapped in his. Here's a lousy pic of mine, daily driver...

03-09-07_1817.jpg

Hey your car looks almost like Mine except MY Z is a T-Top, As for the slick top there is an older guy here in Vegas who has one it's an 83 and weirder thing is that HE IS THE ORIGINAL OWNER!!!!! kinda spooky not many OG owner for a Z that old,

• 2 weeks later...
Guest autoMOTIVE

I like the negative camber look. It's popular on drift cars not just for looks, it provides advantages when the car is in oversteer. But the "stretched tire look" youre talking about is just a fad that serves no purpose.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Ok, by slicktop you mean not a t-top correct???? I have a '79 280zx with a real roof and I'm guessing that's not as rare as say my uncles '83 turbo with "?slicktop?" oh and he's the original owner. He preordered it from the dealership and got basically the first one off the boat.

Ok, by slicktop you mean not a t-top correct???? I have a '79 280zx with a real roof and I'm guessing that's not as rare as say my uncles '83 turbo with "?slicktop?" oh and he's the original owner. He preordered it from the dealership and got basically the first one off the boat.

You're correct. Slicktop is the term we use around here for a non-t-top model.

I've never seen a factory stock turbo slicktop. Rare indeed imo. Unfortunately that doesn't mean it's worth much more, if any more at all. But if I was looking for a S130 to race it'd have to be a slicktop. Now that I've owned both, I really do prefer the slicktop, even more than I thought I ever would.