HybridZ

holy reading glasses bat man

stprasinz

Wow I am attempting to read, adn understand all the megasquirt tuning... is it just me or is it all talking in circles....

Couldn't it be put into simpler ways of reading. you know for those of us who understand that when it says somthing it doesn't have to reword it???

I try and rtead and understand thing which usualy takes a good 2 times reading the same statement to fully grasp and understand... They talk in circles...

Is there any sites that give quick decisive directions instead of circle talk????

Should I wait until I get the megasquit then just down load the softeware and see if I don't understand stuff? I mean it helped with the injectors, but I am going to have to reread that part.... I mean that went circles upon circles on the injectors started here then somehow was back here then to top it off ended there also???? lol but I htought it was instruction and advice on tuning lol..... Was the writers as much of a babbler as me...

anyway wow.... I think I need glasses...

Yeah I guess thawas sort of what I was saying in my babbling, about how I said to download it then go from there...

I think that site just makes it a little trickier sounding than it is... (I may be wrong...). Also how about wiring in the ignition module... Does the megasquirt have a built in rev limiter?? I can't find that anywhere... I almost hope not since I just spent 90$ on a module instead of the 40 for the other one that was comparitive.. But anyway. I can set the rev limiter to anywhere from 5-10,000 rpms... But after I bought it I thought about the fact that this is a 6 cyl not an 8.... so Let me do simple math.... dur... so I guess I can limit it from 6666.6666 rpms, to approx. 13,333.333 rpms..... So I guess that I will set it as low as possible to start with(I was thinking I could do that and have a 5000 rpm limit.. shoot.. Now I have to start with a bit higher than expected...... But on top of that atleast my max rpm will be able to be raised from the stock 6500... I am thinking a good tune to that point and then richen and retard the timing after that rpm to start and tune from there..... Looking for a little over 7... like about 7400 I think for the limit and shift about 7300..... And see how it goes from there....

anyhow... till next time same z channel same x time

You are over thinking it, which I think is common for most people starting with megasquirt.

A great way to start is just to set up megatune and the correct code version on your PC, don't even connect the megasquirt, then browse through all the menus and features in megatune. Use the F1 key to learn about the features.

Then load an msq file from someone that has a similar setup so your engine will start. Turn off accelleration enrichment and tune your VE table using a wideband. Then turn acceleration enrichment back on.

Then over time start to learn about tuning after start enrichment, warmup enrichement, spark table, using target AFR tables, using autotune, etc

The most basic things you need to know going into tuning for the first time are:

1. What AFRs do I want as I tune all parts of my VE table

2. What spark timing do I want in the spark table

BTW, once you browse through all the options in megatune you will answer some of your own questions, like the rev limiter.

Here is something: You set the number of cylinders your engine has in the constants tuning page. You set the rev limit in the rev limiter page. So engine is 8 cylinder, rev limit 6000. Or engine is 4 cylinder, rev limit is still 6000. Don't worry about math, just enter the parameters you want in the tuning pages. Save yourself some gray hairs in the beginning. You can worry later when you try to tune your spark table as close to detonation as you can get.

moby, do you know how inspiring seeing your post's have been... If it wasn't for your posts I dont even think I would have EVER even known of megasquirt.. let alone its application to the 280zx.... I feel as though a legend has spoken to me... What I was saying is that I just purchased a module (gm hei) that has a built in rev limiter and pai over 90 for it.. I guess I should have asked about it first... oopss. But I can alway use the module I have for my chevy and swap the 2.. (as in use the one I currently have and replace it with the one I'm getting since the megasquirt has a built in rev limiter....

Boy already I have had alot of responses and good info from this site....

Oh by the way flattery will simply get you anything your little heart desires.... lol

But anyway hopefully woday my megasquirt, and my used laptop come... (yeah so all in all total for the ecu swap to date will be near 700.)(But I already sold the apexi neo.., will sell the apexy super avcr II (boost controller) soon, then the ecu, and origanal harness after the install is complete...) So hopefully I can get the total spentr back to around 450...

Anyway till next time.. same z channel same x time..

What I was saying is that I just purchased a module (gm hei) that has a built in rev limiter and pai over 90 for it..

I see now. Everyone has to go through the learning curve. I wish there were more local people to help out (from hybridz), but I think Prox has been the only person I have helped around here. Its more fun to actually meet people and see their projects.

Can you do the math cha cha can you do the math. I just thought of the pricing.. I paid 700 approx... I got 175 out of the neo, and hopefully 200 from the boost controller, and then there is still the ecu with harness afm etc... so I imagine the total will be a lot lower than 450 since selling the boost controller should drop it to about 275 or less... (50 for the ecu, harness, adn the stock injectors, heck I even have a turbo manifold I can throw in there.... hmmm may be a bit less ayy.)

Like I said can you do the math... lol somehow I added all that stuff up in my head and came up with 250... lol umm I allready got 175 lol... And the boost controller is probablty going to sell fast for over 200....

Anyway I think I am sounding like the info I was talking about earlier circles and circles....

So till next time.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe big phil should do an idiots guide to MS install video, that would be funny. Man that would be a lot of beers! Not implying that Phil is in anyway an idiot before someone gets the wrong end of the stick!

Ok a guide by phil for idiots....that sounds better.