HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

Assuming all is now well with the 383 stroker, here is the short list of things I'll try to accomplish over the spring:

Instal carbon louvered vents in the hood and top of fenders.

Install John Washington's Scoops in the fenders trailing the front wheels.

Cut and reweld extra set of strut housings we have so I can get the nose on the ground.

Install the Cool Suit Box.

Relocate the Battery to the passenger front footwell.

Install the fire System.

We also may weld in some Dzeus Fasteners and make some lower skirts that can be easily removed for jacking the car up.

There are other things I'm kicking around but so far this is the "short list".

Mike

Mike,

We are going to start making some different composite (Carbon Fiber) pieces for Corvettes. I was wondering where you are sourcing these louvered vents. This was one of the items that we didn't get to on my car over the winter but after this weekends race I am making it a priority to get done. I have searched and searched and not been able to find anybody selling any "universal" CF vents. There are some cheesy non functional type stuff but you know what I'm looking for. Until we are up and running with the composite shop, which wont be until late summer, I need these items. Help me out........

Matt, There are a few sources for metal versions of them but this one seems the best:

http://www.hoodlouvers.com/product-category/size-medium-hood-louvershood-vents/

Carbon Fiber units can be found through these guys:

http://www.genesisparts.com/index.cfm?section=catalog&form_cat_id=4

Mike

You know, I've been in the Zcar game since 1987 and there are times when I meet people and have instant connections with them.  Pete Paraska, Tom Harris (My newly adopted son since oh, 2002?), Joe Gonzales, Joe Sheeler, Jim McNemar, Doug Carriow and a few others.  Matt Isball is one such character.  Spent a good bit of time the other night chatting with Matt about cars, guns, politics, and any number of other topics.  I can't wait to hook up this year and chew the fat, and share some track time together!

• 2 weeks later...

Gameplan this weekend is to finally get the Zcar off the lift.  The oil system has been flushed and the cooler/remote filter lines installed.  6 quarts of fresh new oil are in place.  I'll test the accusump and dump the old oil out of it before I connect it back to the block.  Then final adjustment of the clutch and the car should move under its own power.  After that I need to secure the battery and mount the cools uit box.  Hoping this car is ready for next Saturday.

Also, Dealing with an issue everysince the motor was put back together.  I mentioned this on FB.  The car won't idle on its own.  I may have to check the grounds or re-set the timing.  But hopefully I can get that resolved in short order.

Mike

I know you said you checked vacuum but the description you gave of the problem on Facebook is classic vacuum leak. I'd double/triple check. Have you made any changes to the PCV system? Brake booster holding?

Joe

Joe, I've only got two possible sources, the brake booster and the map sensor.  I'll double check both today and confirm.  The intake is sealed up tight, and the Tbody isn't leaking at the base.

Mike

Update:

Zcar is now idling properly.  It was the crank trigger signal ground wire.  Apparently it didn't like being grounded to the aluminum head!  Re-routed the wire loom so the D-ring would reach the block ground on that side, and secured it there.  All the sudden everything is working well.  The clutch is now finally adjusted enough to make the car move under power again and I'm in the process of buttoning everything back up under the hood for the airbox, the strut tower, and other minor stuff.

So I'll take the Zcar to NCCAR next weekend.  I still have a few things left to resolve, like securing that diamond plate on the passenger side, and making a new battery hold-down in the passenger footwell.  At 48f/52R weight distribution, I don't think the battery will upset much relocating it.

Onward and upward!

Mike

Mike how did you figure out it was the ground from the crank trigger? Just curious since I am now running a crank trigger signal with the EDIS setup.

Glad to hear she is ready to haul a$$ around the track - hoping for a full day of shakedown runs!

Clive, the dash display was not consistant in its brightness.  I figured if I couldn't find the source of the idle issue as the vacuum ports (only three total) then I'd start with the grounds next.  The first one was the winner.  On the FAST system, I'm using their distributor, which requires you not to use the crank signal, but the ground for that source must be used.  Now I know what happens when you don't properly ground it!  Car would not idle on its own.  Now it does, just like it should and just like it did before the rebuild.

Thanks Garvice!!  Been a long road.  I hope to get some reasonable sessions in this coming weekend.

Mike

My first track day now is a three day event scheduled for VIR on May 17-19.  I am in the middle of checking all my systems out.  One issue that cropped up yesterday is with the accusump.  I charged the system for the first time since the new motor was installed, connected the line, and started the car.  It only took in a quart of oil.  It should hold 2.  Any ideas?  This unit is 20 years old so who knows, maybe it's time to change it out and upgrade to a 3 quart unit.

Mike

I've cycled it several times between yesterday and today.  I scribed a mark on the dipstick with the unit completely discharged, started and ran the car, and then took a measurement.  the unit took out about a quart, based on that scribe mark, and refilling it.

Mike

Took her down to the gas station today to fill up and man this car is fast... Forgot how quick... She actually scared me with the acceleration.  The station is 1/4 mile from the house, but every time I go to fill it up, I spend 30 minutes answering questions and letting people take pictures!

IMG_6497_zps10a0ab1f.jpgIMG_6490_zps6caf0991.jpgIMG_6502_zpsd7d885b5.jpg

Took her down to the gas station today to fill up and man this car is fast... Forgot how quick... She actually scared me with the acceleration.  The station is 1/4 mile from the house, but every time I go to fill it up, I spend 30 minutes answering questions and letting people take pictures!

IMG_6497_zps10a0ab1f.jpgIMG_6490_zps6caf0991.jpgIMG_6502_zpsd7d885b5.jpg

ITS ON NOW............

• Like 1