HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

And I suppose the other mainshaft at questionable use and mileage wasn't?  Anyone who has followed this 59 paged of build will fully get what I'm about to say... At some point IT'S ALL WEAK LINKS.  

The guys at thegearbox.org use this same setup in their racecars.  In a 2500# car, running a pump and three ports for fluid re circulation in a roadrace application if I break this one, then I'll build another with the viper bits.  But the cost would have been double and based on what I've been reading and what others have experienced I doubt it will be an issue for me.

Where are the (3) three ports on the T-56.  One may be the drain plug, two may be the fill plug and don't know where the third may be.  I also have the T-56 and would be interested in where the three ports are located on the T-56.  Thanks.

I will take a picture for you tomorrow, but I use the fill (Covers 1/2 syncro and gears, and the boss/hole near the backup light sensor on the passenger side which will hit the shifter rail, but use -6 line and fittings so you have more pressure and it will spray further. The drain plug will go to the pump feed, then run it to the fill plug (3/4 pipe to -6) and then across the top to the passenger side up by the backup sensor to that bung (threaded to 5/8th or 1/2 pipe to -6).

Edit Circled in red on this stock picture is where I drilled, threaded and tapped:

PictureofT56_zpsfa6378ab.jpg

Edited by Mikelly

Little bit disgusted with our little Zcar community right now... between the sniping from some who continually want to be the smartest kids in the room, and some who have recently gone out of their way to attack vendors, I can honestly say that this is a sad lot. I have owned a lot of makes and models in my 48 years, and none of the other marques I deal with have this issue. This is a FORTY YEAR OLD CAR. NO VENDOR is going to have your parts sitting on a shelf waiting for your once per lifetime order. There are a total of 18 of us who order parts annually and that doesnt pay the rent. Get over your collective selves...

Back to your regular self absorbed programming.

Your assumption that the "community" is HybridZ alone, and it isn't.  I get between 10-50 questions/discussions going elsewhere and here offline concerning any number of related topics.  And people like rsicard like to ask questions for the sake of pointing out some one's project flaws.  Not going to entertain future discussions with people on this project.  This build is my diary for the car.  Anyone is free to ask my dicision offline about a direction or part.  Beyond that, there are a handful of people here who have built and tracked/raced their V8Zcar projects.  Those folks have my attention and I truly value their input.  Everyone else is arguing from baseless positions with the expressed purpose of chest thumping.  I do it from my own standpoint because this is my thread in my project page.  I don't go to other people's pages pointing out all their errors or expressing my opinions about their inferior designs or directions.  60 pages here prove my point of some of the "input" and "help".

As to the other parts of my rant above, well that is from elsewhere as well... As I said above, we have fewer examples of available cars, and even fewer examples of part makers.  Attacking them, which happened elsewhere, isn't going to be beneficial to us as a community.  We don't have the luxury of having Zcar parts laying on shelves ready to ship out to our doorsteps at our buying whims.  This is not a Mustang.  This is not a Corvette, or Porsche.  It is not the most desired sports car ever made.  It is a small niche community.  We all of us need to remember that when we get frustrated over things not going our way when a vendor has to make parts from scratch.

Again, you don't have to follow, and it isn't "all about hybridZ".  it's all about the "Zcar Community" as a whole.

Mike. 

Only one guy from "the community" has posted over the past week.  ?  It's kind of non sequiturial also, since rsicard only made a comment about the mainshaft.  Doesn't follow.

Edited by Mikelly
  • Like 1

In the immortal words of the great prophet T. Swift:

"Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate..

I just wanna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake..

Shake it off! Shake it off!"

For goodness sake, I hope that chicken bone doesn't start taking her clothes off, next.

Hang in there buddy. You likely to come to the big shin-dig this coming summer in Memphis? I'm hoping to participate in all 3 events and could use a co-driver or even somebody with a good sense of humor just to laugh at my flailings. That is: if my car isn't in a million pieces!

Minor update...

The transmission is going back together slowly.  Playing around with all the components and triple checking everything.  I'm wrestling with the shift rails and their sequences before I seal up the front of the case and start installing everything for good.  I'll also need to confirm the input shaft thrust.  Pretty sure it'll be same same since nothing was changed with its bearing/race.  It's been a good refresher on how syncros function, and what really happens internally when you Push the clutch in and row the lever for another gear.

The 8.8 Pinion is another issue all together.  I'm having a binding issue between the ring and pinion when everything is assembled.  Not had the success setting it up that I'd hoped, but live and learn.  Reality is that the bearings I replaced were fine and I could well have just slid in the damned LSD and called it good.  Ugh... It'll get done...

Mike 

Hoping to get some major progress on the project between now and year's end. 

Picking up Will's 8.8 Rear swap parts from Fedex today and hope to have the car "nominally back on all four wheels shortly.  Also hoping that I'll have the trans completely back together this weekend, and the CV axles built this weekend.  Once I get the other bits I have scattered around back inhouse, I hope to have the driveline "DONE" and the car ready for some tuning in January. 

Edited by Mikelly

Mike - if I remember correctly many moons back you tried to make a dash out of just a cap with a light frame but scrapped the idea. One of the thing I've always liked since I got my first one way back in HS (third digit is an 8) is the cockpit feeling you get with the dash but the stock one is about 25 lb. The cap only/light frame idea seems to fix that so if my memory was correct you mind saying what caused you to ditch that idea before I try to recreate the wheel here?

Goodness knows you deserve a break. After my last session with Matt (and my inability to turn my steering wheel in turn 6 when the left front tire was fully loaded), I joined Cross Fit. I was really convicted by how out of shape I've let myself get. After squats the first week, I couldn't stand up from the potty without help. After last week's abs, I couldn't sit up on the side of the bed. My arthritis in my wrist is killing me, and my back is a little unstable, but so far the knees (which are keeping me from jogging) have been behaving. And once I start on the Z for the winter, I don't know if I still have many all-nighters left in me. Hope you feel better fast. It sucks being hurt.

Made a little bit of progress reassembling the struts in the hardware Will sent me for the 8.8 rear swap.  I might have the whole assembly ready to bolt up here in the next few days and get some pics together to post up!

Started the process of assembly for the 8.8 Rear conversion.  Couple things I noticed off the bat...

1.  The wheel hub flange will cause problems with some wheels.  My CCWs won't clear them at the hub opening.  This may be a simple wheel spacer, or I may have to have the hubs machined.  

2.  The suspension upright spindle pin bolt won't go in.  The paint is so thick I'm going to have to chase the holes out with something.   Be aware of that when you guys begin assembly.

3.  The Mustach bar upright mount fits loose in the chassis bolt/pin.  I'm going to try a different sleeve. 

Making progress!

Hey Mike, Ill have the rest of my stuff to do my 8.8 swap I also bought from Will in the next few weeks. Probably going to tackle doing the swap myself, instead of taking it to the shop that does my motor work. I'm interested in some pics of someone doing same swap. Anything you could share, especially in pics would be awesome. Thanks dude.

I'll take as many pictures as I can.  Right now my back is still screwed with a sprained ligament.  So I've got a call out on FB for some extra hands.  One thing I will warn you is the suspension upright the coil over and hub bolt to will be exceptionally tight due to the paint.  I was an idiot and pressed the bolts thru after chasing out some of the paint and now they're both good and stuck.  So it may be worth having Will NOT paint the internals on those spindlepin ports.  Sucks.

Mike

Ill clean mine up real good before I start assembly. Everything looks great I think he did a good job on the parts. Ill try to recruit a few hands as well and Ill wait to get some good pics from you first,. I have a bout $1400 of stuff I still need from the list anyways. Good luck on your back bro!

This morning I finally got the spindle pin bolts pressed out of the suspension uprights.  I'll need new bolts, and it took a considerable amount of effort and 4 hours to clean up this mess.  Note to anyone doing any fabrication work... Cover all areas that will be mounting surfaces and do not pain or powder coat them.   The suspension upright to strut mounts had to be hit with abrasive pad to remove the finish so the strut assembly would fit.  I'm now going to have to paint those so they don't rust as well.  No pics yet, but I will get some before I start mounting everything else up.  Four hours lost to simply driving out spindle bolts... Not how I expected to achieve success with the 8.8 install.