HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

This past Saturday I installed the throttle cable and adjusted a few things, and backed that sucker off the lift and into the driveway... First time this project has EVER moved under its own power.

Lots still to do, but certainly exciting times...

Mike

Its great to hear her on! I'm sure she will be a beast at the track. Also what kind of bike did you go down on? I laid down my 05 zx10r race bike at a trackday about a month back, fully geared up and still had bruises and burns. But i got her all back together and ready for next weekend :D

Was at the track this weekend instructing my son Craig in the Miata. So I didn't get to work on the Zcar much. I did manage to pull the steering linkage today and clean out the threads on the lower end so I could bolt it down. I'll re-instal it tomorrow evening and work on a few other items. Also thought I had a leak on the valve cover, but it appears that the Canton adapter at the oil filter/block base might have loosened up when I was resolving the oil line leak. I'll resolve that as soon as I get the Miata off the lift from this past weekend's post DE "checkout."

Mike

In Flagstaff Arizona this week... So not getting much done on anything other than the wife, and my body...

We've so far been to:

Sunset Crator/volcano

The Painted Desert

Native Ruins along the route

The Walnut Canyon hike

Meteor Crator Observator

Sedona

Montezuma's Castle

Montezuma's Well

The Grand Canyon

The Snow Bowl

And tomorrow we're going back to Sedona for a jeep tour. Might hit the Monument National Park on Thursday, or head back to the Grand Canyon...

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Today I found the oil leak at the back of the block. Seems like the oil pressure port/ fuel safety cut-off isn't sealed properly. I also resolved the stuck needle/seat on the secondaries. I need to pull the dash and resolve a couple of gauge issues, resolve the electrical fan not cutting on, and tighten up the front reservoire on the master cylinder, as it's started leaking...

Getting Closer...

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

We are currently on schedule to make it to the track July11/12 with trackdaze.com at Summit Point for our "debut" of the Zcar. I still have a few things to resolve, like a windshield and some "tuning". Otherwise, we're very close to being "ready."

Mike

So I've been fighting a leak on the back of the block... My hope was that it would be an easy fix... Turned out to not be the oil pressure port at the back of the block behind the intake. I just removed the intake and found what appears to be the rear gasket leaking... Let's hope...

Mike

Mike, I've fought the same problem. The best thing to do is clean the block and intake with solvent, then lay down a thick bead of silicone and install the intake. The gaskets are junk.

Due to casting variances, sometimes the mating surface right around the dist is pretty narrow. Lay the intake on the engine dry with the port gaskets in place, and observe the gap between the intake and block. The bead of silicone needs to be roughly twice as thick as the gap to get a good job. Sometimes I lay down one bead, let it tack, then put a second right on top to get it thick enough. When you install the intake, be sure to look down the dist hole and check that none of the silicone squished out enough to interfere with the dist. Smooth it with a finger if it does.

Good to see you getting close. My build is lagging.

jt

Thanks John! I'm going to jump on it this morning. My goal is to get this wrapped up today, get the seat relocated a tad further back, and then find out why my tach isn't working. I'm ordering a windshield this coming week. That'll pretty much get me to the point of "driving it on the road"... Yea, I'm going to put an antique tag on it and do some shake down drives to see what needs addressed... July 11 is fast approaching and I'd really like to make that event with this car...

Mike