HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

Intake is back on the car. We have HEAVY beeds of sealer on both the front and rear rails. Should have sealed up nicely. The front wasn't leaking before, but I figure we disturbed it, so I put plenty on both. Hopefully this addresses the issue...Going to re-baseline the carb. It was very rich running previously, so I dropped two jett sizes on both main and secondaries, down to 73 and 78 respectively on the 4150 series double pumper race carb. Hopefully will have this resolved and the windshield in this coming week.

Mike

Seat issues resolved and the harnesses were installed, along with rollbar padding, and new plug wires. I've also gotten a new tach I'll try to see if I've got a bad one or not. I'll get the coolant flushed and water wetter/distilled water in tomorrow and fire it up to check everything for leaks again.

Mike

Good day today, with lots accomplished. The car was started and no oil leaks at the rear of the intake were found!!! Also got the coolant flushed out and distilled water was put in, along with water wetter. I installed insulation on some problematic hot areas, per Be Cool's insulated hoses... Very nice and I recommend them... Also installed a relay for the alternator (Painless Wiring) so the alternator will never back feed or allow the motor to run-on when the car has been shut down. Funny story about this... I was looking for harness hardware on Tuesday night when I found this part that I bought, probably two years ago? Amazing!

I'm starting to run out of things to "do" to the car... I need to pull the right front wheel and find out what is rubbing, and I need to start buttoning up some of the additional aero bits...and there's that damned windshield to order... Real F'n close...

Mike

So the car's running and the tach now works. I replaced my old MSD 6AL with a new Digital 6AL box. Apparently my tach port has a loose solder joint, so I'll fix it and sell the 6AL later. It's one of the reasons the new boxes nolonger have that spade on them... They just direct wire it and expect you to make the connection to your tach.

The current carb tune on the 4150 750 DP is:

Main jets - 73

Secondarys - 78

Power Valve - 5#

All else is stock from Holley

Fuel Pressure is 6# at idle and increases to 9# at WOT

The MSD billet distributor is set up as:

Blue springs

Silver advance stop

Timing at 1000 RPMs is set at 12 degrees. Based on this setup, all my timing advance (25 degrees) should be in by 3500 RPM, and the total advance should be 37 degrees.

I still need to adjust the hydraulic valves now that the car has been running, and I need to drain all the oil, since it's just been "tune and run in" oil.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Thanks man!

Looking back on this whole project, it's been pretty drawn out due to a number competing issues. Had I not gotten wrapped up in the whole ZF Racing thing, which took 3 years of my life, and then bought, first the Corvette, then the MRoadster, then the Porsche Turbo, I'd have been able to spend more "focused" time on this build... then of course I built a SpecMiata in the middle of it. And the motorcycles bought since this build "sort of started"... I've owned three dirtbikes and four street bikes since 2001. All that money and time could have funded finishing up this project. And don't even get me started on the track days and track weekends that have drained funds and time...

We also built one 2 story garage, sold it (along with the house) and moved into another shop. That shop was nothing but cinderblock walls and rafters and required a complete make-over as well... And did I mention we built a consulting business from SCRATCH in that timeframe as well?

When I look back over the last 10 years, it's clear why this build has taken so long and where it could have been resolved much sooner. Life sometimes gets in the way, and the decisions we make in one aspect of our lives can drastically impact others. I could easily have decided to stick with the Zcar, but honestly when your car is down so long during a build, it gets really easy to become disengaged.

Some of those changes made in the last 10 years have impacted my health... to the tune of adding an unwanted FIFTY pounds from where I was in 2001. I've just recently started loosing weight by working out and trail running/hiking, along with managing what I put into my body. All those events mentioned above forced out the time I used to spend riding bicycles up to 200 miles per week. That personal stress management and weight management time was among the first to go when we started our company. So taking back control of that aspect of my life has been liberating... and I'm down 22 pounds to boot.

It's easy to say "I have to stay on top of the phones and the email" when you have employees depending on getting paid. We've managed to grow into a multimillion dollar business over the last 5.5 years, and through it all we've never missed payroll and never cut our benefits. Even through this hard economic down turn, we've been able to stay afloat and keep the doors open and employees working.

When the day comes that I can back this car out of my car trailer, fire it up, and have a fun day tracking it on a roadcourse, then I'll have a measure of accomplishment for this car I've build from scratch. Until then, everytime I find "one more thing" that needs attention just adds more weight to the albatross that this project has become, hanging around my neck.

Mike

Great insight Mike (sure sounds like it was an interesting albeit tough ride).

I can see my build taking a similar detour (the main reason why I started the journal so that I could keep a track of the time), though for obviously different reasons (children). I just hope I get a chance to drive it before my 11month old son. :)

How did I miss all these updates? Congratulations and the car looks fantastic! Its an ever greater accomplishment when you look at everything else you started during that same time period. I have the same starting and running a business 50 lbs. on me. I think its a given. Look forward to the track day video.

Thanks John! It's been a long and "eventful" journey, for sure. I'm close to recording some footage for everyone, hopefully within two weeks.

The windshield gets installed on Thursday. I'll also wrap up some more of the interior bits. Hopefully the car will be fully track day ready by the 10th when I load up and head to the track!!

Mike

Mike, it's been a long road, for sure. But all the "stuff" that got in the way of slowing the build of the Z were important steps along the way, and helped shape you and the Z into better things (well, except the extra weight, Haha). Going slow on a project (hmm, how would I know?) can give you time to think and change as you learn more, not a bad thing.

I'm still planning on being at Summit Point on the 12th (work is keeping me away on the 11th). I'll check in with you the night of the 11th to see if you need me to bring anything that you find you need that day. I look forward to seeing you and the Z and the crew! BTW, will the funny little honey be there?

Finally got the windshield in yesterday, along with some of the other bits and pieces resolved. I'm off for the weekend doing stuff with the wife, but will get back to it on Sunday afternoon.

I made a trans tunnel close-out panel and mounted the fire extenguisher, along with a couple of other things, while waiting for the windshield installer... Funny story about that... This installer, Tim was expecting "A rusted out pile of, well what you normally see with old Zcars" was his exact words. He's a hot rodder with a 66 Chevelle, so he was totally into the project and gave the windshield install extra care. I was concerned he'd balk at the cage and the added plates around the windshield frame/apillar, but he'd done a number of them over the last 25 years and had no issues working around the windshield... He had a major grin ear to ear when I started it up.

Pete, Donna isn't planning to attend at this point. She just took a week off this week to babysit our granddaughter, I think she's planning to work that week.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

So "What's left?"...

I need to install some hood and hatch pin kits, and I need to flush the oil, trans fluid, and brake fluid. I need to install the new inserts in the heim joints on the camber plates (ordered them on Wednesday} and I need to find my wiper arms... Holy crap, I'm close...

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

I've actually been able to do a fair amount of debugging, which is why we were able to sort out the tachometer and gauge issues, the oil leak at the back of the intake, and the other various sounds and squeeks. Car has already been aligned, as I did it myself when I was setting up the suspension. I will be going through the car this week and putting a wrench on every bolt and nut associated with the suspension and brakes, as well as all drivetrain mounts.

Having a long driveway has actually helped with a large part of the whole "driving the car" without a tag thing... I'll get an antique tag for the car this week, if time permits.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Pete, Donna isn't planning to attend at this point. She just took a week off this week to babysit our granddaughter, I think she's planning to work that week.

Mike

Olya wants to attend Summit Point with me (and bring her mom who's here from Kiev for the next month, speaks only a few words of English). Olya said something about sticking her mom in the passenger seat of the Z and having her go for a lap!

Pete, I don't think I'm going to be giving rides at this event... I'm extremely concerned about shaking down this car. There are enough unknowns that I need to drive it, a lot before I let someone in the passenger seat. Summit Point will be the first time the car has ever been "At speed"...So I'm really concerned about how it does, what it does, if it will stop, and other related issues.

Mike