HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

So I finally got a decent set of headlight covers for the car (thanks to MSA) and started some progress on the Naca duct 1/4 windows...

73c0cd25.jpg

d8c0e625.jpg

The Dyno session has been bumped to Next Tuesday, per request of the shop.

Mike

Very sorry to have read about your dad My Heart goes out to u and your family Mike.

Love your gas cap placement on your z. I like how all your mods mesh so well together and love how u pull of the big shopping cart spoiler also . Looking forward to some videos of this thing in action.

Finished product...

186f86ba.jpg

b0c32737.jpg

251ced2c.jpg

Thanks aplyedmind! Appreicate the sentiment and the compliments... Shame this car has taken so long to get motivation to finish... It's really coming together now!

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

So today was the "big day"...

de33c3a7.jpg

We got the car over to EB3 Motorsports in Manassas Va. and got it on their dyno first thing this morning. We did 9 passes total on their Superflow AutoDyn30 Eddy Current flow dyno, which I realize is bad on numbers... Ev, the owner told me that if I wanted to compare the numbers from his dyno to say a dynojet, that I should add about 28-30% to the numbers... Based on the tests, the changes, which I'll get to in a minute, he said my motor was probably a 450-460 BHP 383 stroker and he was impressed with the car and the potential.

Ev had a pretty decent process of tuning. He'd make changes, do a pull, then do a second pull back to back to make sure the readings were repeatable. Every time we saw within one HP or one Torque reading of the previous pull.

So we started off with the car rolling 314HP and 318#ft. of torque. However, the AFRs were the big story. We were into the 11s from 2800-3900 and then back into the 11s from 4800-5300... Then it was in the low 12s. The motor wasn't rich enough, and under inspection, the timing was dancing around a lot once it was "all in".

So first we played with the jetting on the primaries, which helped with a part throttle stumble (down from 73 to 70) and we also changed the squirter down a size. After runs 2-3, the squirter was re-installed. After runs 4-5 we pulled the distributor appart and took out the 25 degree advance stop (smallest stop) and put a larger stop in. What we were seeing with the timing light was the timing bounce around between 31-38 degrees timing. A simple $.90 cent part fixed it and the timing was advanced to an initial timing of 16 degrees with 38 total in by 3500. We played with the timing a little to see if we could get the car to run more power with less time and found that was not the case. runs 6-9 found us zero-ing in on a safe and consistant back to back tune. The car is making a solid 325# ft. of torque and 323HP. When you apply his calculation of 28%, the car is making about 413WHP and 415#ft. torque. The power curves are nice and the torque spread is very nice...

I'm very happy with this tune and the car seems to make plenty of power and very quickly... This car is gonna be a lot of fun!

Unfortunately we had an earthquake here in Virginia today and I came home to a bit of a mess...

78b48769.jpg

f99ad144.jpg

After further inspection of the window that had fallen out of its frame and hit my Porsche twin turbo, it appears I had no damage to the car, and other than a few broken items inside the house, we made out OK.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Mike,

Your car just keeps on looking nicer and nicer every time I see it. One of my good friends from Hampstead, NC, texted me about that unexpected earthquake. I grew up in NC, until 96' and never experienced one on the east coast, but more than made up for it in the past 10 years here in California...

Thanks Nelson.

I wanted to clear something up on the dyno we used... The owners have dyno'ed multiple 2006-2010 Z06 Vettes that supposedly make 505 brake HP, spin their dyno at 378-384 WHP. Their dyno allows them to put a load on the drivetrain for tuning purposes. They put a 5% load on my car during the sessions. We expected the car to make somewhere between 280-320HP on this particular dyno.

Had a number of people elsewhere question why the numbers were so low and not understand the setup we used and why. I could jump on a "regular" dynojet and spin 415-420 WHP if the goal was racing dyno numbers... That wasn't the goal. Tuning the car to maximum safe HP was.

Mike

Mike,

Your car just keeps on looking nicer and nicer every time I see it. One of my good friends from Hampstead, NC, texted me about that unexpected earthquake. I grew up in NC, until 96' and never experienced one on the east coast, but more than made up for it in the past 10 years here in California...

Track videos will be coming up in September. Car goes to Paul Overstreet on Tuesday to be aligned and scaled. After that it'll go into the car trailer and wait until we leave on Labor day for the Glen.

Mike

Attached is the graph from the dyno session... Best of the runs... Run 9 and Run 8 are identical, so I chose number 8. Remember, this dyno doesn't produce the "big numbers" we'd see on a dynojet...

DynoTest8.jpg

I'll try to get the spreadsheet numbers up later.

Mike

The shortblock consists of a Scat crank, Eagle H-beam rods, Weisco 10.5:1 compression... Dished... Zero Gap rings... ARP hardware. The heads are Dart Conquest with 2.05/1.60 valves. Roller Hydraulic valve train, isky 530/550 cam with 112LSA and Harland Sharp 1.5 rockers. Intake is a Victor Jr. with a holley 4150 750 carb, MSD Ignition.

Desktop dyno claimed 532BHP. The motor is probably 50-60 less...Based on what the owner of the other shop that was present during the pulls stated, this car should be very stout!

Mike

Did a little more clean up in preparation for the glen... Re-painted the black stripe that runs along the bottom of the car, and did some clean up on the engine bay. I'll do a full "cleaning" of the car when I've got it back from the alignment. Still need to rivet the vent ducts to my seat so I can get more fresh air to me.

This car has cleaned up so well, and come together with the vision I had years ago. I'm truly inspired by what I've created in this one, and can't wait until I get it on track... It's giving me the motivation to start on the red one in my driveway.

Mike

Got the car back from corner balance and alignment. Did a full clean up/wash/claybar/compound, Zaino ZAIO/Z8. Car is the cleanest it has ever been and this is the first time the car has been detailed in some manor... Actually impressed with how it's turned out. Loading up for Watkins Glen later today and heading out on Monday. I'll take some pics and post them during that process...

Mike

Just back from our week at Watkins Glen. The rain was so bad that I didn't even get the car out of the trailer until Thursday, which means I missed out on every opportunity to do a track event or open lapping. The car suffered some mechanical issues as well, which side-lined it for much of the weekend. We did manage to drive it from the town of Watkins Glen to the Wings of Eagles in Horseheads. I also drove the car for a few laps around WGi at "exceptionally slow" speeds. The car really didn't like lugging around the course doing 25-30 MPH. It lugged and bogged, and I bagged it and headed to the spot for the car show... Here are pics taken by a photographer at the park:

DSC01734.jpg

DSC01733.jpg

DSC01736.jpg

DSC01735.jpg

Got to meet Dave Palermo. Gonna dig thru my pics and post some of his car and of the event later...

In the end, a bad alternator, an intake leak, and what appears to be a water pump going bad... All this is from years of parts sitting and not being used, I'm sure... Oh well, now prepping for VIR in two weeks!

Mike