HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

Keith (RebekahsZ),

In response to your question about my teamate Joe Freda in his "71 F body. He actually has a Jerico dogring 5 speed. His 5th gear is 1:1, he has a Ford 9" with solid rear axle. It has a 326 rear and tops out at 170mph ( He and I both go 164 exactly on the back straight at RA before the braking zone). He runs 18" R1's that are 245 front and 255 rear. 

Clive, I dont want you not posting in my thread and that isnt what I am saying. What I AM saying is I dont want to always feel like I am on the defensive. Everything I listed as LONG Term will be done OVER time. The motor will likely fire up this month. I have 6 days next month I will be at the track instructing and I hope that at least 3 of them are in the Zcar. Time will tell.

I commented about the data because it is real and it tells the truth. I spent forever thinking my cars were doing one thing only to have the data from a cheap ($900) logger show that in every car I have driven I was doing something else. If you are driving a roadcourse properly and at anywhere near 8-10ths at a trackday you shouldnt have the foggiest idea how fast you are truly running. My point is I was shocked at how fast I wasnt going until I started focusing more on the driver and less on the car, Stepping out of the 996Turbo and into that SpecMiata showed me everywhere I needed to pick up speed, not because of the video, but because of the data.

I meant no disrespect to anyone in this thread, but sometimes I feel like everything I say or do has been parsed to hell and back. Its not why I come here and type the text. I come here to share. I dont like feeling like there are 800 JonMortensens out there trying to show me for the idiot he would love to think I am. Sure it is long and frustrating. I live it everyday and somedays I want to sell the car and move on with life, espeically when nothing goes right... But I know a lot of us feel that way. I want this car on track as soon as possible and it will be. And then it will come off over the period of a few hours to have the trans swapped. And then it will go back on the track... Probably for the rest of the season if I am lucky enough to have the Q45 live that long. Cory Brown doesnt think it will. Fortunately I have two diffs. My car isnt

Matt's. I get that... Appreciate pointing that out... Not trying to be Matts. I am simply planning for the other eventualities...And there are obviously reasons I am rethinking the gearing and reasons the gearing wont be sufficient if I'm actually thinking it. A 3.7 will limit you significantly OR stress the car even more, and even more to the point, those rears are not as strong as we have been lead to believe. Talking to Cory about Matt's Q45 failures was an eye opener. Is it the Gs? The massive tires? total stress on the driveline? According to Cory and armed with Matt's data, it isn't heat. So I am personally planning to address the rear diff. I am also going to go ahead and add a 6th gear because I know I can sell my trans and not lose much time or money swapping to a 6speed.

Edited by Mikelly

Sorry to eat up more space on Mikes thread, but i know it is one of the more popular threads on the forum. I'm getting together at a show in Franklin, TN with three other hybridz members. I really could care less about the show (I won't even wash my car in prep). But it is a chance to get together with someV8 z-guys. Nobody else really gets me. I'm an odd ball at the track, an odd ball at hot rod shows, an odd ball at work and at church. I'm hoping we all get along on Saturday, because car guys usually have really strong personalities and aren't always big on tact. But I really look forward to a chance to see other cars, put names with faces, and gather some new approaches. Its been a long winter in the shop by myself. Again, Mike, sorry I put that on your thread, but I think it is relevant to why we like to look at what you are doing.

I read this(and other) build threads to see what is being done and maybe get some inspiration. I am curious about

something....are you building to a specific set of rules? I was under the impression that it was a track-day 'toy'.

You seem to have the means/ability/motivation to see how fast a 40 yr. old brick will move. If rules are not a issue,

getting past bad aerodynamics should be do-able, damn throw a bunch of HP at it and see what happens. That's what turbos are for. 1000HP LS motors are 'easy', you have big enough tires, just upgrade the rear when it breaks.

If you are constrained by some rulebook, ignore the above question.

It would be nice to see a car like yours with big HP.....to see how fast a sorted Z can be on track.

One last thing, have you every run Lime Rock, and what was your best time? I have never run any of the tracks you

usually mention, just wanted a reference point to where your car stands.

Good luck.

B&G

Phantom have you got any data on that? In my car I wasnt seeing anywhere near 150MPH in 5th gear with the 25.5 hoosier and the .3.54 and .85 5th. I will dig up the actual data from the traqmate and post it in a few days. Fortunately I data logged the computer and will be able to map the RPMs to confirm the exact points. Matt Isbell has a very similar trans *TKO and had a Q45 setup in his with the 3.54 so drawing comparisons to his car is very easy. And you can take this to the bank. If My car will hold together on VIRs long straights, I will see what it will redline at. More than a few laps I ran the Black twin turbo up in the upper 170s and a few times in the low 180s MPH.

Mike,

Sorry - all I have are pass slips and my own observations plus the math I ran on my set-up to confirm it. I've found stock Z speedometers to have a fair amount of error in them at higher speeds while the tach seems pretty reliable. Since my speedometer is driven by a CableX box it seems to have less progressive error in it. No idea why but it tracks with the tach really well.

My tires/gearing would have given me about 8.3% more speed or about 12 mph at 6,000 RPM in 5th.

If I could go back I think I would have opted for the T56 with the 2.66:1 first gear vs the 2.97:1 and the overdrives at .85 and .66 vs the .75 and .50. Then again, I don't really ever exceed 120-130 so running out of rpm or HP is not an issue.

For your application of wanting a top end around 180 that might be a good. The goal would to be sure you're solidly into your optimum torque and HP range in 6th at that speed. I'm sure you've probably thought this through 100 times by now so I'm not telling thou anything you don't already know.

That being said I really am looking forward to you getting your car on the track. These builds are always evolutionary. So many things in a cars build affect it that, once you start shaking it all out, things start to change. Don't let the comments on mere get you down. We're all pretty passionate about our hobby but none of us are certified KIA's (know it alls) even though we like to think we are. I've been running my LS1/T56 combo for over 10 years now and I'm still figuring things out and refining the car. Another 10 years and I'll be ready to do another car - except by then I'll probably have to learn how to incorporate a flux capacitor. :-)

Edited by Phantom

I appreciate the comments both on and offline and I have no interest in not finishing the car at this point. Everyone knows where I stand and my intentions and goals. We will eventually enter the car in The UTCC and NASAs timetrial series. The series it would classify in allows vehicles based on power to weight. Once the car is shaken down appropriately, it will need other changes before it enters Nasa wheel to wheel racing class, probably Vintage outlaw with Matt or another class...

The project has changed over the years, as have my desires. It is not a street car and has ZERO interior. It is not enjoyable to drive on the street since it is a TUB with rollcage and no sound deadening or interior. It has evolved and changed due to the scope creep that others have so well documented in their responses. I live it, I know it...

Enjoy the updates... More to follow.

I appreciate the comments both on and offline and I have no interest in not finishing the car at this point. Everyone knows where I stand and my intentions and goals. We will eventually enter the car in The UTCC and NASAs timetrial series. The series it would classify in allows vehicles based on power to weight. Once the car is shaken down appropriately, it will need other changes before it enters Nasa wheel to wheel racing class, probably Vintage outlaw with Matt or another class...

The project has changed over the years, as have my desires. It is not a street car and has ZERO interior. It is not enjoyable to drive on the street since it is a TUB with rollcage and no sound deadening or interior. It has evolved and changed due to the scope creep that others have so well documented in their responses. I live it, I know it...

Enjoy the updates... More to follow.

I'm likin' the sound of that.........

Richard Lourey has just been appointed Vintage race director for Mid Atlantic. I would make more trips other than my normal schedule if I knew we could go wheel to wheel.

Got the LS XFi and XIM harnesses run through the firewall on Saturday. Made a little extra time on a few other components and lay out of a few things related to planning the additional wiring I will add for Diff and trans fluid temp sensors as well!

Got a bunch of stuff done on the car today...The FAST XFi, XIM, and touch screen dash all integrate well. The only things required is to connect the CAN links, two keyed on wires to existing power wires left over from the MSD, and connect the tach wire where the MSD fed the tach signal to the touchscreen dash. I'll need to run two additional wires to the analog connections for two temp senders, one for trans and one for differential. I also need to solder two wires where the connectors were brittle on the brake light switch at the brake pedal and make a better extension for the coolsuit box wiring.

Getting there...

Car is back in mobile storage while I prep the Focus ST for 6 days at the track coming up over the next four weekends.  I'll get back to the Zcar shortly after the weekend of the 16-18th, unless I change my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Made some decent progress yesterday afternoon with the PCV plumbing.  Unfortunately my Nick Williams Throttle Body Vacuum port doesn't have the port fitting on it.  Looking to resolve that issue asap. 

Today I'm hoping to getn the soldering done on the last three dash connectors, and the 7 wires that need to be extended under hood.  I'm seriously running into "looking for things to do" before I have to tackle the last big part, the Alternatore mounting... 

This car may actually live one day! :lol:

Did my NASA instructor clinic last weekend and will be mentoring new instructors next weekend with PCA.  After that it is full time back on the Zcar until it is Done Done Done!!

• 4 weeks later...

Should have another alternator mount showing up tomorrow to aid in my quest to place this stupid alternator where it will fit without hitting the hood or other parts of the chassis... Ugh... Shoulda sent the drysump pump back for a passenger side mount unit.

More to follow...

The last big hurtle is over and I will now be able to finish up the small bits before I fire this pig up... Altnernator left upper mount from KWIK did the job. Really close to the strut tower, but it works and clears the hood.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I am at a standstill... The accessory drive components are not lining up. I have contacted AC Nutter (dry sump vendor) for help... Really frustrated that I am THIS CLOSE to starting this car and something like the alingment of three pulleys is stopping me... Ugh...

So according to the guys who sold me the drysump the setup is for a Camaro and not a Corvette. So I need a Camaro Alternator mount and MTI is sending me spacers for the tensioner. I should be back on track to start this car up soon.