HybridZ

Fmic, Piping, And Radiator On Custom Core Supports

nope

The SR posts usually trickle in this forum kinda slow so hopefully this helps spark up a little discussion. Seeing everyone else's progress pics is always fun so this is really just a bit of showing off my own car progress.

The intercooler piping is all 2.5", except for after the Z32 MAFS where it's 3". I set the MAFS after the intercooler since I had the space with the SR20 and so I don't have to recirculate. You can find the BOV mounting flange just downstream of the turbo. Both compressor-side turbo flanges have custom fabbed aluminum transitions which I realize aren't really visible in these pics. The intake filter is tucked down just beside the FMIC which is bolted to the new custom core supports. The radiator sits on isolators mounted to the lower support and leans back at about a 25 deg incline. I plan on ducting and shrouding the cooling/intake systems when the time is more appropriate. I'm trying to stick to one phase at a time and right now the goal is starting the engine. As far as I can predict, plumbing and engine wiring are the 2 things I need to complete to see if this bad boy even starts.

240z_0091.jpg

240z_011.jpg

240z_0121.jpg

240z_013.jpg

240z_0141.jpg

240z_015.jpg

Fab work was done by TimeMachine Racecraft here in Oceanside. The results I get are always exceptional. I'm super picky about every detail and Tho always works out what I want. Feel free to PM me if you want his contact info.

Yeah, like I said, I'm going to duct and shroud everything later. By tilting the radiator back I was able to fit a 2" taller radiator that maintained a good ducting profile without having any frontal area being blocked by the core supports. I'm also mounting a pull-type fan on the back of the radiator a little later on. It's pretty well thought out. However, I can see how that's not completely obvious with these pictures alone.

olie05, I had initially bought a good setup for v-mounting but I decided I don't want to touch the hood styling. The hood is too important to the Z's look to chop it up for a giant vent. I can deal with a slightly less race-ready setup to keep the car sexy.

hi, i think the z32 maf is located in wrong position, at this position there´s air with presion and maf may be injuried. the correct position is next air filter, after turbo air inlet.

i hope this helps you. if you like i can send pictures of my sr20det working in my 240z.

Nah I have it in the right position. Putting it at the air filter is just easier and, understandably, common. One of the many cool things about an SR in a 240Z is the space to do stuff like post-FMIC your MAFS. I've thought about this in detail and I'm convinced that the way I'm set up is the way to go. You get air readings close to the intake at pre-injection temperature and pressure. The MAFS is after but still inline with the BOV. There's no need to compensate the air-fuel ratio by recirculating. Anyway, there are a bunch of good reasons to do it this way provided you have the space.

You can't hurt the MAFS with pressure either, it's basically just a resistor. Corrosion or bulid-up is really the only way to F it up.

• 1 year later...