HybridZ

Updated: 1uzfe in 300zx

czecho

I have changed my mind, screw the ITB's, i going to single turbo the 1uzfe.

Going to have forged pistons and rods, Oversized intake and exhaust valves, Stiffer springs and lighter retainers.

The turbo i gonna use is a PT67 with a .81 A/R exhaust.

All piping and brackets and everything else is going to be made by me and friends.

I still going to use the r154 behind it all just havent found one yet. :(

My plan was to buy everything slowly now and wait for my car to die, or if my car wont die i will wait till i have everything and a few grand saved up then i will start the project:mparty:.

Leave me some replys and opinions on this and ask me any questions and i will answer them as soon as i can !! :icon14:

I have changed my mind, screw the ITB's, i going to single turbo the 1uzfe.

Going to have forged pistons and rods, Oversized intake and exhaust valves, Stiffer springs and lighter retainers.

The turbo i gonna use is a PT67 with a .81 A/R exhaust.

All piping and brackets and everything else is going to be made by me and friends.

I still going to use the r154 behind it all just havent found one yet. :(

My plan was to buy everything slowly now and wait for my car to die, or if my car wont die i will wait till i have everything and a few grand saved up then i will start the project:mparty:.

Leave me some replys and opinions on this and ask me any questions and i will answer them as soon as i can !! :icon14:

Cant want so see it when its done . my bro has the r154 on his 89 turbo supra and it can take a beating and feels great. Are you going to make your own ,motor mounts?

Cant want so see it when its done . my bro has the r154 on his 89 turbo supra and it can take a beating and feels great. Are you going to make your own ,motor mounts?

Yes im going to make my own motor mounts, luckily my father owns a machine shop and i can make pretty much anything i need for my car :).

Justin, the car you posted isn't powered by the UZ V8 - it has a Land Cruiser-sourced 1FZ-FE inline six, which is one of the strongest-built inline sixed in the world (it's a direct competitor to Nissan's TB engines). It goes like stink, and I'd love to put one of this into the Z. This guy made 10s with a stock block, so this engine has to be tough. It blew up after a while though. But I digress...

Czecho, have you got any pics yet? I'd love to see a Toyota swap in a ZX...

Justin, the car you posted isn't powered by the UZ V8 - it has a Land Cruiser-sourced 1FZ-FE inline six, which is one of the strongest-built inline sixed in the world (it's a direct competitor to Nissan's TB engines). .

Are you sure? They are really tall, I don't know how it fit under that hood. They also have a 100mm stroke, not real rev friendly.

czecho, How much boost are you going to run? You probably have but have you been on lextreme.com?

Ok, I'll bite.

Are you going to go forged pistons to start with? Or down the road?

People have proven enough times that 10PSI is perfectly reliable on the stock rotating assembly. That's good for around 500hp on a stock head, with headwork you're looking at quite a bit more especially if you get it ported.

Then if the 600+hp you have at that point isn't enough you can put in some forged pistons and have your insurance up to 1000hp. (i'm still a strong believer that the early 1UZ rods are good to 1000hp easy, and the stock crank is well beyond strong enough)

Just seems like tearing down the block and putting in forged pistons is a waste of time/money unless you're planning on running 15+ psi right off the bat.

Believe me i have studied my ass off for this part.

A guy did a single turbo on a 1uzfe with forged rods ( im pretty sure ) and ran 14.7 psi and got 400hp he didnt upgrade the engine at all, no cam no anything.

I want to run forged internals right off the bat because i want it to be my safety insurance and i think i would run over 500hp with cams, upgraded headers, oversized intake and exhaust valves and some fine tuning.

And yes i know the crank is solid and will pretty much never break.

Get back to me on what you think

Sounds about right to me. I'm just making sure you've done your homework and weren't going with stronger internals because you "needed to".

I've always loved this picture from lextreme:

IMG_0070.JPG

Those early 1UZ rods are BEEFY for OEM stuff. The pistons are definately the weak point of the bottom end, but the main issue most people run into is detonation because the stock compression ratio isn't the most condusive to force induction.

But on the bright side, not only can you upgrade to some stronger materials, but also LIGHTER improving rev responce. I've driven LS400s and stock they aren't the most rev happy engines.

My last comment/recommendation:

Get a high quality scale of some sort and weigh EVERYTHING. Others, as well as I, are very interested in what the 1UZ truly weights. I'd like to know what the entire assembly w/everything (even AC compressor) weighs, just the long block (rotating assembly w/heads) with and without intake. I'd also like to know what each head weighs, and what the short block weighs.

I know I'm asking a lot, but that informtion is gold to me. I'm considering the 1UZ as one of my MAIN future prospects for a motor but if it's not light enough I don't think I can justify it over the cost and power of the 5.0 (my second choice).

The only fall back for the forged kit is its 2 grand :(!!! and i got to get my engine bored and stuff bleh bleh.... if anyone can find a better deal then forged pistons and rods with all connections and ARP bolts for less then $2000 tell me please :)

And the 1uz should be rather light its all alum. and was made for lightness but i will weigh as much stuff as i can. i already know its going to be lighter then my vg30, thats a given.

Hopefully everything turns out to the way i want it.

Oh and when i pull my old motor out of my 300zx ( its a vg30de, the non turbo ) , i gonna sell a few parts off it aka upper plenum, TB's, and a few others.

I can answer any other questions

• 2 weeks later...

I have changed my mind about the r154 tranny i going to buy a brand new 1997+ spec z32 5SPD tranny for $1800, it bolts right up so it saves me a lot of time with fabricating the r154 to my car

Now all there is to worry about is making a adapter plate to fit the z32 5spd to a 1uzfe

If anyone SOMEHOW finds a adapter plate for that set-up please tell me

but i highly doubt anyone will

Best of luck to me and everyone

I have changed my mind about the r154 tranny i going to buy a brand new 1997+ spec z32 5SPD tranny for $1800, it bolts right up so it saves me a lot of time with fabricating the r154 to my car

Now all there is to worry about is making a adapter plate to fit the z32 5spd to a 1uzfe

If anyone SOMEHOW finds a adapter plate for that set-up please tell me

but i highly doubt anyone will

Best of luck to me and everyone

Im actually really thinking hard about doing the same swap and yeah I really wanted to keep my stock tranny just to keep my driveshaft and tranny mount stock and since the gear ratios are about the same as the r154 I just dont see the down side. I know, have heard, that the r154 is superior in strength but i have seen the Nissan 5speed hold up to some very powerful TTs. As for the adapter plate I have yet to see one.

BTW, have you seen this engine in a 300zx engine bay yet? I have yet to see it and would like to get a look at the space left around it.