HybridZ

I might have a line on a Z32...

Guest scotty!

Guest scotty!

without a motor. I have been thinking about get on old 280 and swapping a LS1 into it. Then I saw a yellow Z32 sitting a field next a friends house. He is supposed to get the info for me on it.

Question is, how big a PITA is to swap in a LS1, LS2, LS6, etc? I know it has been done as there are a few on you tube, and a few articles of it being done, but is there much hard info on how to do it? Where could this info be found?

Thanks all.

Guest scotty!

I can weld, I do not have a lift. What do you need a lift for?? Easier access to open things up for the trans?? I have a good friend whos dad, and 3 of his bros were all mechanics. He, like me, decided to be a machinist instead of a mechanic. So between the two of us we can probably knock this thing out. I might be able to use a lift if it is truely needed.

Are there any "kits" available for this swap?? Or is it piece together??

don't waste your time. keep it nissan at least.

heh.. wait for it....... wait for it..... I think you will find.. comments like "dont waste your time keep it nissan" will not go over to well on HYBRIDZ. I dont think Sticking a awesome motor like the LS1 in the Z32 is a waste of time at all. I have seen it done.. it is nice.. Actually takes up less space then the VG30DETT.. Scotty Keep us all posted on what you find out man!!

The LS1 swap into a Z32? There is a manual out there for it. Get info on twinturbo.net. It actually goes in like it was made for it, as far as motor swaps are concerned.

Now, regarding LS power? If you're looking to build, LS1 entirely. Don't even waste your time building an LS6, unless you're a rich man simply looking for a conversation piece. Twin turbo kits and motor components are rather plentiful for the LS1, not to mention their cheap acquisition (roughly $1000 on EBay, or anywhere else.)

Hope this helped.

I doubt an ls1 is a compact as a nissan 3.0. I would measure the engine room of the Z32 first. I own a Z32 and the engine room is tight. I would like to see you do it.

I thought of a 1uzfe for a better fit and light weight.

Hmm it sure looks like it fits in there quite nicely to me.. I have worked on a Z32 twin turbo and good luck getting your hands in just about any part of the engine bay..

To me it looks like there is some room to work with here.

0711_sccp_03_z_+1990_nissan_300zx+engine.jpg

0664_9mg.jpg

Guest scotty!
My next Z will be an LSX Z32!! Go for it scotty!

I'm new here but i've been a lurker going on 5yrs so I truly appreciate what this site is about. Purism needs to be in check here, as we all should know.

Hope this becomes another cool project to follow!

:mparty:

ME TOO!!!!!

I still have not heard about the $$$ on the Z32 yet. What i was told a few weeks ago was the guy really just wanted it gone. Somethign around $300.00 at one time. So the hard part will be coming up with the $$$$ for LS1 & T56 w/ wiring harness complete and intact. E-bay seems to be really High in price, but That maybe the going rate, We'll keep an eye out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

yea, i just looked at a couple sites and ls1 crate motor for 7-8 THOUSAND. thats more than my good condition z was to begin with.. id agree with keeping nissan assuming i could get my hands on a vq37vhr... of curse they are new so its probly $$$ as well... but hey, same power, same alluminum, WAYYY better sound...imo at least. v8 and vq are totally diff. i like v8, just not the same place in my heart as the vq as far as sound