HybridZ

Resurection now becoming 1TUFZG Z

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Well I moved into my new place, moved my storage building of parts and the car to my house and now unemployed. So it's time to get busy on this project.

Going to start plumbing the car this week starting with the brakes. Just a note the brake booster from a 73+ will not properly fit a 70-72 body. Same with the pedal box. I began modifying the fire wall and didn't want to chop too much into my new paint, so I picked up a booster for a 72. The Tilton clutch master would also interfere with the booster. Hope this isn't an issue with the AZ brake conversion. (worked well with the 73 booster which is larger)

Pics to come!

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Time for a small update, wiring the car will begin next week with a painless wiring harness I picked up.  Also the car will get the front "clip" painted and reattached.  Looking to have this one on the road by spring time. (keeping fingers crossed!!!)

Edited by dsommer

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Here is where we stand as of today. This thing has really gone overboard!!!!

g z3_zpsc06aa520.jpgIMG_0254_zpsf9b77bb9.jpgz1_zps197ab790.jpgz2_zpse77c3b9c.jpggoing on, one fender, tail lights in, Holley EFI placed on intake.IMG_0256_zps460668f0.jpg

Its always amazing how long these builds can take when life gets tossed into the mix. Its looking super once David! Keep up the good work. I'm doing a multi-piece G-nose as well s the OPTIONS work wide body kit to my green 73'. I brought my 98'BCNR R33 RB26dett and awd drivetrain out here when I moved. Time will tell if I get it all dialed in and driving again.

Are you going to Branson Z-fest this year?

Edited by Vintage-TechZ

• 3 weeks later...

Why not?

I feel they give the car a certain "flair". I do not intend to pass the car off as an original "Fairlady" if that is what you are implying. Yes I can understand if that is WHAT you are implying. From the little bit that I know, which is very limited about Z cars, I believe the "real" Fairlady cars were right hand drive AND were not optioned with a V-8. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I owned Scarab 154 and get the same "feeling" when and if somebody implies their car is an origina Scarab. All I have to do is look for the Scarab VIN tag that was attached to the door jamb and know the truth.

I apologize if I am coming across as rude and not answering your question in a gentlemanly type way but ultimately it has the NOS "Fairlady" tags to pay homage to the original Z cars. Additionally, this is after all Hybrid Z and as you know, anything goes as far as modifications are concerned. Why not ask me about the Gnose? It's an aftermarket 2 piece made by a member on this board. Again I apologize if I am coming across as curt.

Why not?

I feel they give the car a certain "flair". I do not intend to pass the car off as an original "Fairlady" if that is what you are implying. Yes I can understand if that is WHAT you are implying. From the little bit that I know, which is very limited about Z cars, I believe the "real" Fairlady cars were right hand drive AND were not optioned with a V-8. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is HybridZ! I can see what you are doing with your car, and I'm perfectly happy with what you are doing with it. I don't need to ask you anything about the G-nose as you have already explained it in your thread.

Simply, my point is that the 'FairladyZ' emblems are the 'wrong' emblems for a Fairlady 240ZG......

The title of the thread, the replica 'Grande Nose' on the car and the word "homage" all imply that you are aiming at a certain look - a 'tip of the hat' to the original Fairlady 240ZGs, yes?

But the real ZGs used 'Fairlady 240ZG' emblems ( two emblems placed side-by-side: One 'Fairlady' script, and one '240Z' ) rather than the 'FairladyZ' script you have used. 

The 'FairladyZ' script emblems were only used on 2 litre ( L20A / S20 / L20AE ) engined models, and therefore not appropriate to the L24-engined 'Fairlady 240ZG' model. 

It's a small detail, but worth knowing I think. 

...I can say I've never really noticed that as I've never seen that badging, more over I'm sure they are difficult to source. Either way the holes were in the fenders where the Datsun emblems so they naturally lined up with no drilling. I've tried to source as many OEM/NOS parts for the car as possible.

Head light covers, new in the box

Tail lights

Door panels

Review mirror

Fender mirrors

Clear front signal covers not on car as of today

Reman interior panels from the company that restored the factory 240's back when.

as you can see I have a LOT of time and money wrapped up in this car.

As you say they are. Of the correct emblems, the funds are running low and I'm just plain tired of parts hunting.

...I can say I've never really noticed that as I've never seen that badging, more over I'm sure they are difficult to source. Either way the holes were in the fenders where the Datsun emblems so they naturally lined up with no drilling.

The good news is that the '240Z' emblem for the 'Fairlady 240Z' was exactly the same as the one used for the Export models, so you should have no trouble in finding new ones. 

The 'Fairlady' emblems can be tricky to source, but you have an option. If you were careful - and I've seen this done very effectively - you can cut off the letter 'Z' from the 'FairladyZ' emblems and re-touch the cut-off stub to look OEM. Job done!

I can sympathise with the part about being tired of parts hunting. But it will be worth it in the end. Chin up, and good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

bump!

Can't post pics at this time (don't know why???)  I'll get some posted ASAP.  The car is now running, sounds bad a$$.

Ran into some issues.

1. Holley EFI, ECU was dead, so no EFI on this one.  Went with an Edelbrock 750 electric choke, the ole "go to carb" works flawless.

2. MSD E-Curve distributor.  Worked for a moment of sputter then nothing, not a damn spark after trouble shooting it.  I'm goig to ship it to MSD for repair so its to be determined. 

3. KEVKO oil pan, this one is JUNK!!!!! Bolt holes are too close to the side of the pan and cannot be tightened resulting in a massive oil leak.  I'd NEVER recommend these pans to anybody.

As I said pics coming soon!

Edited by dsommer

This is HybridZ! I can see what you are doing with your car, and I'm perfectly happy with what you are doing with it. I don't need to ask you anything about the G-nose as you have already explained it in your thread.

Simply, my point is that the 'FairladyZ' emblems are the 'wrong' emblems for a Fairlady 240ZG......

The title of the thread, the replica 'Grande Nose' on the car and the word "homage" all imply that you are aiming at a certain look - a 'tip of the hat' to the original Fairlady 240ZGs, yes?

But the real ZGs used 'Fairlady 240ZG' emblems ( two emblems placed side-by-side: One 'Fairlady' script, and one '240Z' ) rather than the 'FairladyZ' script you have used. 

The 'FairladyZ' script emblems were only used on 2 litre ( L20A / S20 / L20AE ) engined models, and therefore not appropriate to the L24-engined 'Fairlady 240ZG' model. 

It's a small detail, but worth knowing I think. 

I'm so glad you are on this forum to chime in on these finer points! Seriously. 

The car is really coming along David! I know you must be stoked to be there!

• 2 weeks later...

Vince,  car comes home tomorrow, needs interior completed and "other" areas but a boat load of pics on the way.  I just hope this pics show off what this car really looks like.  The gunmetal paint on the car is not really that profound in the pics I've taken.  Probably need to call my father in law to come take some pics for me.