HybridZ

Making my own EFI intake... The First Casting

Derek

hey, ross machine has a drill bit that they sell that will make the injector holes a one-gun ordeal.

costly bit at 120 bucks, but if you plan to run these... and your customers find out what you're really doing, you can make back your customers lost time!

Yea I looked at those. They're nice and if I had a manual mill I'd be all over it. With my CNC mill though it's just a two step process. I drill the through hole with a drill bit and then orbit in with a 3/8" end mill to cut the injector bore, o-ring pocket and injector clearance pocket.

Ain't technology grand!

Derek

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I have everything mocked up at this point.

Here's a shot of the linkage with the throttle closed.

DSC_0037.jpg

And open

DSC_0038.jpg

This is just a practice butterfly. I need to make a jig for my lathe so I can make these as a turning operation. Milling them just isn't giving me the results I want.

DSC_0040.jpg

Say AHHHH

And yes that is a giant step between the casting and the throttle tube. I have a fix for the next manifold. I just need to figure out what I'm doing on this one.

DSC_0041.jpg

This is the vacuum bleed for synchronizing the venturis. I need to lower the rear boss. Also the throttle shafts will be shorter. It looks a little shabby this way.

DSC_0039.jpg

At this point I think I have enough info to finalize the design for the rear manifold.

Now all I need is time!

Derek

those are fantastic. And are going to sound pretty nice ( understatement methinks ) as well.

Are you going to try to blend the shape of the throttle butterfly rod into the butterfly ( i know that sounds newb but then... I am ! ) ? So it has some sort of flow around the rod.

In any case very very inspiring work.

Now for the small world award. Steve is a frequent visitor to the foundry. He's known the owner for quite a few years and I've met him a few times. He's really a great guy and has a firm handle on the home brew "build it on a dime" mentality.

The foundry uses induction melters. They use Olivine green sand. I've got a bunch more pics that I'm going to be uploading to a gallery in the next few days. I'll let you know when I've got it done.

I'm sure we can work Kevin Bacon in here if we try hard enough!

Derek

Derek: I just love small companies and "He's really a great guy and has a firm handle on the home brew "build it on a dime" mentality. " This is really too cool.

those are fantastic. And are going to sound pretty nice ( understatement methinks ) as well.

Are you going to try to blend the shape of the throttle butterfly rod into the butterfly ( i know that sounds newb but then... I am ! ) ? So it has some sort of flow around the rod.

In any case very very inspiring work.

Yea I can't wait to hear them run.

At this time I don't have plans on streamlining the shafts. If I start producing these I may increase the shaft size to 5/16" diameter. this gives me more options on pre made components like levers and such.

Derek

I 'd be intrested once they are perfected.

Thanks guys. The biggest compliment you can get is someone interested in buying your product.

I will be selling these assuming it works to my expectations. I will say though that it won't be a budget manifold. There's a lot of hand work that goes into this thing.

Derek

First off I know I could have picked a nicer head and valve cover but this is the best I could come up with.

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

This is probably the last I'll be doing on the manifold for a month or so. I'm super busy right now and in this economy I better get while the gettings good.

I will be doing the final design on the rear manifold in the meantime.

Derek

Looks incredible. I wish I knew how to do castings. :(

Just wondering, will the back be the same as the front? If so I think you might have some clearance issues between the two middle airhorns.

Luke.... trust your instincts in the 3d solids program. Alright, after looking at the pics again you made me go out and check with a square against the head. I'll have about 1/8" between the center horns. It sure looked like it was going to be collision city though.

Can you refresh my memory as to why you went with vertical throttle shafts?

Because the throttle bodies come in at different angles along the horizontal plane, having horizontal shafts would be a real pain to machine. And besides I love the look of the linkage on the top.

Repeat after me, form first function second!

Derek

Because the throttle bodies come in at different angles along the horizontal plane, having horizontal shafts would be a real pain to machine. And besides I love the look of the linkage on the top.

:hs::hs::hs::hs::oops:

all I can say to that is DUH, I knew the answer was simple and obvious but it frankly didn't occur to me when I asked myself the question...

That is amazing dude, almost makes me want to go N/A and get on a list to buy one of these. :o

A bit of welding on the ends to accept a plenum, and there is no requirement for this to only be N/A...

Though seeing a custom-cast ITB N/A setup that puts TWM to shame really does have it's allure... :mrgreen:

Anybody remember the old CAN-AM or Formula cars with their stacks all askew? That's what this reminds me of, I love the look!

The performance and sound are frilly intrinsic benefits for motorheads!:icon6: