HybridZ

Making my own EFI intake... The First Casting

Derek

• Administrators
Hi Phar

I tried to design this as a universal style block so it could be adapted to other applications that wanted a stand alone IAC/Vacuum log.

Derek

a Request regarding the universal design... Add 2 more ports, please? (8 cylinder)... :wink:

Let's face it, when you're driving down the road, you want an effective filter. When you're showing the car, spend 3 minutes less polishing the rocker panels on each side and remove the filter and stow it under your sweater under the gas tank at the rear of the car. Stick Racquetballs connected with weedwhacker string in the trumpets like a real Hilborn Racer and just lie to the gawkers 'Sure, I run thataway all the time, just plug up the stacks when I park. Haven't had a problem in years!'

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ive been looking for a filter that i think would work great for you for like 15 min. I cant find it though. I know Ive seen them. They are little round filters that have pleated filter material in it. More like a paper filter though. Maybe it was a K&N im not sure and then the outside has a rubber seal on it to where you could push them into the trumpet, but you would gain tons of surface area

contact this ebay seller here... he has designed and manufactured/distributed a number of filters.

it may pay to talk with him and discuss what would work best and whether or not he knows what designing a filter for max air-flow is all about.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-Twist-to-my-Velocity-Stack-Filters-FULL-CUSTOM_W0QQitemZ150208910293QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

contact this ebay seller here... he has designed and manufactured/distributed a number of filters.

it may pay to talk with him and discuss what would work best and whether or not he knows what designing a filter for max air-flow is all about.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-Twist-to-my-Velocity-Stack-Filters-FULL-CUSTOM_W0QQitemZ150208910293QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Interesting idea. He's forming the screens then poring a silicone boot around them.

I'm still leaning towards using the wire cloth and foam at this point. The main thing I'm rethinking is the method of attachment. Maybe I can incorporate this guy's rubber boot method with my wire cloth and foam.

I have all the equipment to do silicone molding so that wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the link and idea.

Derek

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

this thread.... :)

So done anymore on the casting of the rear manifold?

I was thinking you might want to add a couple bosses to mount your fuel rail to, not to mention MAT sensor, if you're going to use one.

That way there wouldn't be trouble from vibration on the hoses.

just a thought... It's an awesome project however you look at it...

Phar

I just got started on the rear manifold on Friday. I'm roughing out the core box and then I'm on to the manifold pattern.

DSC_0003.jpg

I'm hoping to head over to the foundry right after Thanksgiving to do the castings.

There is no fuel rail. I'll be using individual lines to each injector. I'm trying to get a mechanical injection look with the individual lines.

Derek

There is no fuel rail. I'll be using individual lines to each injector. I'm trying to get a mechanical injection look with the individual lines.

Derek

I do not know if I had heard this detail before, and have forgotten it, or if this is the first time.. but I LOVE it.

I'm using a new procedure on a lot of my patterns and core boxes. I carve the piece out of sheet PVC. I make it about .015" undersized and then spray a few coats of tooling gel coat on it. I then put it back in the machine and do a final finish carving of the gel coat.

Here is the carved core blank with the gel coat sprayed on

Picture005.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Here are the blanks for the rear manifold.

Picture001.jpg

We're talking boss heaven! I'll be able to bolt everything on here but the kitchen sink!

Picture004.jpg

The square towers with the small squares on them are something I've added. These locate the manifold on the angle table for machining. this should make the setup a lot easier if I go into production. I'll then remove them with the gating.

Derek

I don't like it.

cause it's not on my car, when it should be...

It's a good thing I don't do this for a living!....Oh wait...I do do this for a living.

I went back and checked. April 2009 will be 2 years since I started the design. I better get this thing done!

As I was finishing up the Hemi manifold I was struck how much more involved an ITB setup is. I feel I'm on a roll now though. I'm heading into my slower season (although I'm still slammed) I think I have the majority of the issues solved. I'm sure when I see that second manifold machined and mounted on the mockup head it will be full speed ahead.

Thanks again for all the support and encouragement.

Derek

Only 2 Years? Don't feel bad Derek, I just got back form 65 Days abroad, and hoped to get fill dirt to the house to do some landscaping for the garage...and now it turns out the first rain in three years will delay my leveling of the workpad...

I've been trying to get a place to work on my cars since 1997!

(And the Fairlady has been awaiting work since 1990!)

These things have a way of sucking time from you when you least expect it. To me, this is like watching an F1 car compared to my kid's go-kart circle the circuit. Go-Karts are fun, but sometimes I wish my projects would go 'as slow' as yours!

:lol:

Nice shot of hte Gel-Coat Gooberage. Very interesting development.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if the foundry gets a decent core today I'll be heading over there tomorrow to pour the rear manifold.

Here's a shot of where I'm at now.

DSC_0005-1.jpg

I still need a little touch up an I need to get it mounted to the board.

WAHOO!!!

Derek

I just read through this entire thread, and all I have to say is holy horsepower batman. No but seriously, this is amazing, where did you learn how to do stuff like this, I would kill for even a tenth of the knowledge you must have regarding engines in order to do something like this.

If you're ever in the mood to take on an apprentice, let me know.......

Well if the foundry gets a decent core today I'll be heading over there tomorrow to pour the rear manifold.

Here's a shot of where I'm at now.

I still need a little touch up an I need to get it mounted to the board.

WAHOO!!!

Derek

Very nice Derek, as you know I too have been watching your project from the start, though I didn't realize it had actually been two years since you started it. The New blanks look awesome. I love all the new bosses. oh, and good thinking on the angle table squares, I had wondered how you got the correct angle on the first manifold for fit to the head. Not to mention those would give you a nice handle to drag them around with.

What is the Gel coating supposed to do for your mould? Better surface? looks like it takes the "woodgrain" out.

So here's a question, I didnt think of till just now, but that you could probably fix in the MS setup. A lot of cars have a cold start injector, I'm not sure how you would put one on an ITB setup, or if you'd even need one. (I know you said this car is basically going to be a garage queen.) The Thermotime is in the head too I think, though I don't think MS would use that. I keep thinking "what could he have missed?" and nope, I think you've got it all covered.

The manifold looks amazing. oh and I'm sure you've got a line out the door for appentices huh?

Phar

I just read through this entire thread, and all I have to say is holy horsepower batman. No but seriously, this is amazing, where did you learn how to do stuff like this, I would kill for even a tenth of the knowledge you must have regarding engines in order to do something like this.

If you're ever in the mood to take on an apprentice, let me know.......

Thanks!

Actually if you go back to the original design thread http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121021

You'll see that I really don't know too much about manifold design. I did some searching and got some input from other hybrid members.

At this point if it runs better than my 25 year old SUs then I'll be happy!

Very nice Derek, as you know I too have been watching your project from the start, though I didn't realize it had actually been two years since you started it. The New blanks look awesome. I love all the new bosses. oh, and good thinking on the angle table squares, I had wondered how you got the correct angle on the first manifold for fit to the head. Not to mention those would give you a nice handle to drag them around with.

What is the Gel coating supposed to do for your mould? Better surface? looks like it takes the "woodgrain" out.

So here's a question, I didnt think of till just now, but that you could probably fix in the MS setup. A lot of cars have a cold start injector, I'm not sure how you would put one on an ITB setup, or if you'd even need one. (I know you said this car is basically going to be a garage queen.) The Thermotime is in the head too I think, though I don't think MS would use that. I keep thinking "what could he have missed?" and nope, I think you've got it all covered.

The manifold looks amazing. oh and I'm sure you've got a line out the door for appentices huh?

Phar

Hi Phar

The PVC sheet that I use as the base is great except it's a lot like wood in that in order to get a good finish it needs to be painted and sanded. If I use the gel coat I can eliminate that step.

I ended up painting and sanding the manifold anyway. I wasn't very happy with the finish.

I'm not sure where garage queen came from as this is my daily driver! And I hope to keep it that way.

I rescheduled the pour for next week as I have some machine maintenance to do.

Thanks for the support.

Derek

I'm not sure where garage queen came from as this is my daily driver! And I hope to keep it that way.

I rescheduled the pour for next week as I have some machine maintenance to do.

Thanks for the support.

Derek

Sorry, yeah, I dunno I think I got the idea when we were talking about the heat shield stainless steel and all that. Sorry, would not want to offend.

Ahh! rescheduled, I was so hoping for more :fmad:foundry:fmad: pics today! :-( oh well we'll have to wait till next week, work comes before play...

Hm so the Gel coat made it easier to finish the surface, but not well enough for you, Do you think it still saved you some time/work, since you sanded it anyway?

Phar

Don't need it, matter of fact, some N/A cars in the Japan Market with L28's didn't have a cold start injector...they just used coolant temperature to determine a longer pulsewidth for 'warm up' enrichment, and the 'Priming Pulse' as startup covers what the cold start injector does.

Lots of people misunderstand what the cold start injector does---which is sprays a LOT of fuel in the intake while the car is cranking... that's why it's so easy to foul the plugs in the earlier cars with the Bosch EFI system. And a primary reason most manufacturers went with a batchfire pulse to fire the engine initially once they bought enough processor power to accomplish it.

The Cylinder Head Temperature sensor is the best possible place for warm up enrichment signal source, as it warms hotter, quicker under load for best fuel mapping.

The thermotime switch just changes state to disable the original cold-start injector for prevention of activation when the engine is warm. This is why hot restarts with a low battery can sometimes be an issue with the early cars...the cold start floods the manifold when extended cranking occurs and the threshold of the thermaltime switch is just below the 'switchpoint.'

It's why increased pulsewidth and priming pulse is a better way to approach cold start/initial engine fireing.

Well the pour went really well except for the bosses on the top for the throttle shaft bushings short ran. No big deal as I'll tig weld them up and they'll be just fine.

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

The inside came out much better than the first one. The stainless tubes match the aluminum really well.

I won't be doing any machining for a few day's as I have a pattern that I need to get done.

Derek