HybridZ

Making my own EFI intake... The First Casting

Derek

Nissan, Too used the Goo.

Techline Coatings may have something in a 'sample' they could send your way. They have offices in Murietta CA (Temecula) and Texas as I recall.

They make rotor coatings that are semi-abradable for blower rotors. And they can be applied and cured fairly easily. That may work as well. But if you can get the same stuff the OEMs' use...

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nissan, Too used the Goo.

Techline Coatings may have something in a 'sample' they could send your way. They have offices in Murietta CA (Temecula) and Texas as I recall.

They make rotor coatings that are semi-abradable for blower rotors. And they can be applied and cured fairly easily. That may work as well. But if you can get the same stuff the OEMs' use...

One Quart of the official goo will be arriving on Monday or Tuesday. Which is a good thing as it looks like I'll be starting the install on Monday or Tuesday!!

Busted butt and got far enough ahead of the foundry to get it started. I won't be able to stick with it exclusively so I'm figuring on a 2 week window.

Derek

One Quart of the official goo will be arriving on Monday or Tuesday. Which is a good thing as it looks like I'll be starting the install on Monday or Tuesday!!

Busted butt and got far enough ahead of the foundry to get it started. I won't be able to stick with it exclusively so I'm figuring on a 2 week window.

Derek

:shock: This is going to be a reality very soon... I can't believe how excited I am getting!!

you *are* going to put a big horn or two on the exhaust, right?? not trumpet-style horn like the intakes, but more like old school, low-tech megaphone style.... I've never been fond of superTrapps, but the shape is about right.. and a pair of flared exits on slightly upward tilting, dual pipes (say, 2" apiece, you can flatten a couple sections for clearance to make the run back and across the car with 'em and they'll flow as well as a single 3"; just gotta make sure you have about a linear foot of "collector pipe" in the system then split it back into two pipes) just fit this intake....

After all, you are "that horny Z guy..."

Well since Phar pointed out just how fugly the clamps were without the radius edge I had to add it to the final design.

And I'm glad I did! Thanks for the push, it definitely made a big difference in the look.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

Check out that awesome chatter in the cuts. People pay big bucks for that you know.

I guess I'm going to have to splurge and get some decent mills.

Now on to the injector line looms.

Derek

:shock: This is going to be a reality very soon... I can't believe how excited I am getting!!

you *are* going to put a big horn or two on the exhaust, right?? not trumpet-style horn like the intakes, but more like old school, low-tech megaphone style.... I've never been fond of superTrapps, but the shape is about right.. and a pair of flared exits on slightly upward tilting, dual pipes (say, 2" apiece, you can flatten a couple sections for clearance to make the run back and across the car with 'em and they'll flow as well as a single 3"; just gotta make sure you have about a linear foot of "collector pipe" in the system then split it back into two pipes) just fit this intake....

After all, you are "that horny Z guy..."

Too late. 5" round magnaflow resonator and a Magnafow straight through oval as the muffler. Sounds sweet. And in a few weeks should sound even sweeter!

Derek

:2thumbs: Cant wait to see this done.

I so want that injector setup. That would be an even cleaner look than a fuel rail. If I cant get the whole intake then that would be almost as kool.

I have to say I agree... hmmm.. off to read some previous pages and crunch some numbers....

Guest Widebodys30

Not much room to rotate those, boss.

Notice the clamps?

Ya might have 50* total to play with.

Maybe it's(hopefully) the camera angle.

Trying to help(not berate) this very awesome project.

I really like these:

DSC_0004.jpg

I'd be interested, and I'm sure others would be too, if we have a bunch made up. The only thing I would change is having it un-drilled for the hose barb or compression fitting. Then you could choose a right angle or straight configuration. This is a great way to use O-ring injectors with hose barb rails.

Very nice!

Pete

So... I was thinking about how neat its gonna be seeing it all with lines, and the vacuum fittings, and fully installed on the car, and stuff (sorry I am kinda getting obsessed here) and I started thinking, "hey, didn't we want some of those injector fuel plug/holddowns? What was the deal with those again?"

I'm with Z-Ya on the 'I want several, undrilled'!

Set a price, and let me know where to sign up!

I think I can safely say I would be in for a set or two of those injector holders as well.

Looking great!

Those injector holders are beautifully done. Nice touch, and I quite like the seperate rail feeds.

I'd seriously consider a set of these over a fuel rail. Makes changing one injector so much easier!

Sooo.. I'm sure its the LAST thing on your mind, but have you given any thought to selling, and if so what a set of those plugs undrilled (rough even, I can do finish work easily enough) would cost?? Those things are super-cool in their own right.

Its Cool Byproduct.. Kinda like the Apollo Project and Velcro, and Tang.

EDIT

Check out that awesome chatter in the cuts. People pay big bucks for that you know.

Chatter be damned, its nice enough for me eight days a week. At least the slop is regular enough.

That means it will be running in January. Woohoo. You did promise us it January and it looks like you will succeed. Well done.

It will be installed in January but running..... Hopefully I can get my arms around the whole megasquirt injection setup. Time to contact Speeder and see if his offer from a year and a half ago is still in play.

Maybe I can't see it well in the pics, but are'nt your lines directly in the way of your injector connectors?

It's the angle of the dangle. The clips are tight but you can get them on and off without removing the line. And your right there's no turning the injector. Not only will it hit the linkage arm but it negates design criteria #1 "Looks Cool"

So... I was thinking about how neat its gonna be seeing it all with lines, and the vacuum fittings, and fully installed on the car, and stuff (sorry I am kinda getting obsessed here) and I started thinking, "hey, didn't we want some of those injector fuel plug/holddowns? What was the deal with those again?"
I'll make them available as soon as I get the manifold squared away. Although I did pressure test the clamp and injector at 125 psi with no leaks so I guess I got the bore size right!

Derek

I'll make them available as soon as I get the manifold squared away. Although I did pressure test the clamp and injector at 125 psi with no leaks so I guess I got the bore size right!

Derek

Please don’t take insult here, but I'd also put several hundred (or even thousand) miles on the setup to test for quality control. Wouldn’t want an angry mob of Hybrid Zers knocking at your door with pitchforks and torches. ;)

Please don’t take insult here, but I'd also put several hundred (or even thousand) miles on the setup to test for quality control. Wouldn’t want an angry mob of Hybrid Zers knocking at your door with pitchforks and torches. ;)

I hear ya

With this crowd you never no what to expect!

Actually everything I sell is artwork and only meant for display purposes only. I never imagined anyone would try and use these items on anything as vulgar as an automobile.

Hows that for a disclaimer.

Derek

I hear ya

With this crowd you never no what to expect!

Actually everything I sell is artwork and only meant for display purposes only. I never imagined anyone would try and use these items on anything as vulgar as an automobile.

Hows that for a disclaimer.

Derek

HAHA... works for me.

Guest Widebodys30
It's the angle of the dangle. The clips are tight but you can get them on and off without removing the line. And your right there's no turning the injector. Not only will it hit the linkage arm but it negates design criteria #1 "Looks Cool"

Awesome, and I'm relieved to hear that!

I personally am very much looking forward to seeing what kind of power you get out of it...

Well since Phar pointed out just how fugly the clamps were without the radius edge I had to add it to the final design.

And I'm glad I did! Thanks for the push, it definitely made a big difference in the look.

DSC_0002-1.jpg

I guess I'm going to have to splurge and get some decent mills.

Now on to the injector line looms.

Derek

Awesome! they look so purty! Glad to help! :2thumbs: I really like how those are looking, and I too are really excited to see it installed and see how it actually runs. (req #3) I'm sure it will. You've already got your EDIS working, and MS should work off parts of that. Once it's done, I'm sure you'll breathe a sigh of relief and:

:mparty:

but then what will you do for fun?

Phar

Ahhh, Lucal Slide Valve Injection...

I got SO lambasted for making comments about the way that system injects fuel (take a close look at the injection orientation)...

As for moving the injector position, they will have the exact same rotation possibilities as the stock setup did, it's more movement than you think.

You could orient them all the same angle to front or rear, depending on 'harness drape' to give maximum visual effect with the loops of injection harness going to them...

The only thing different I did on mine (other than mine leaked like a seive and sidelined my project---hint, don't simply think drilled finish is anywhere close enough! LOL) was I put the retention 'ears' for the screws up a little higher using a wider guide and the body of the screw to hold the cap straight instead of putting them at the bottom of the thing.

This kept the injector from hitting the 'ears' the screws go through, further restricting movement.