Making my own EFI intake... The First Casting

Derek

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks everyone. Starting to get a handle on things. Pete (Z-Ya) is going to give me a little phone tech support so that should help me connect the dots.

Pete provided my initial MSQ and the thing fired right up.

I'll have a lot more to say by the end of the day.

And it sounds awesome!

Derek

That throaty sound reminds me of triple webers (not a surprise of course). But now you have the benefit of fuel injection. Sweet!

BTW, if it helps, attached is my VE table for 280cc injectors. Req fuel is 3.7 with 2 squirts with a stock 280zx fuel pressure regulator. In case you haven't already figured this out with Megatune, you can save (export) VE tables as well as import them to avoid rekeying. Just open the VE table and go to the file menu. You'll see Table Import and Table Export. Before I start messing around with the VE table, I'll take a snapshot. That way if I make a mess of it, I can just reload the original table.

veTable1_200902140643.zip

Thanks for the table Daniel.

Well thanks to Pete's excellent phone support I made some great progress today. I have the car idling at 900 rpm and the IAC stepper works like a charm. Got everything buttoned up and managed to take it for a quick spin around the block. Still need's a bit of tuning but you can feel the potential.

The sound is really something. A very deep throaty growl.

I'm really happy with the performance so far. Ran the car at mostly an idle a lot today and had no heat issues with the ceramic mat. I found a company that sells an aluminum covered carbon based mat that I'm going to check into.

Phew I need a break.

Derek

Good Job Derek! A goal accomplished after extreme labor is a reward all should feel!

Congrates!

Kevin

Extrudabody

Thanks Kevin

Certainly you and 1 Fast Z have a pretty good idea what it takes to get something like this completed!

Derek,

900rpm, is that the cold start idle or is that the idle once warmed. (Bit confused as you mentioned the IAC, I thought that was just for cold start).

If it is warm idle, are you planning on reducing the idle?

Cheers

Brad

Hi Brad

Well considering my SUs would land anywhere from 700 to 1200 on any given day a steady 900 is golden! It will go lower but when I switch on my A/C it kills the motor. I have to switch to the extra code in order to run the IAC in closed loop for me to have any lower idle.

I still have a bunch of tidying up to do but I hope to have it back on the road Tuesday or Wednesday. When I get more comfortable with Megasquirt I'll switch over to the Extra code.

Derek

Well considering my SUs would land anywhere from 700 to 1200 on any given day a steady 900 is golden! It will go lower but when I switch on my A/C it kills the motor. I have to switch to the extra code in order to run the IAC in closed loop for me to have any lower idle.

Fair enough, good work mate.

Brad

Derek,

Thats awesome, it sounds Great! Congrats on it running so well. It really looks cool, and it really really looks/sounds cool, and yes actually runs. very impressive. Lots of work to get you to this point, and thank you for letting us tag along virtially, sharing in this project. I know you've still got a lot to do, but it's wonderful to see it so close to complete. You've learned a lot and are truely the Horny Hero.

Did it seem like you had any more power than you had with the stock setup? I imagine it would be pretty close, though I'm sure you're going to get a lot better MPG.

I still worry about the heat buildup under the manifolds, you'll have to let us know how that blanket is working. I'm still voting for a plate bolted to the bottom of the horns even if it's minimal just something to protect your tubes and wires.

How do you think they'd handle the racing reqs? I'm real curious to see power #'s. The rest of your engine is bone stock internals right? only mods are These, MS, and the EDIS right?

Again though, you've done an amazing thing... Right now they're the only ones in the world. I bet you just have to design V2, and set a price, and you'll be a busy guy. You might even get MSA, BD and all those distributors interrested.

Congrats again. you rock!

Phar

Derek,

Thats awesome, it sounds Great! Congrats on it running so well. It really looks cool, and it really really looks/sounds cool, and yes actually runs. very impressive. Lots of work to get you to this point, and thank you for letting us tag along virtially, sharing in this project. I know you've still got a lot to do, but it's wonderful to see it so close to complete. You've learned a lot and are truely the Horny Hero.

Did it seem like you had any more power than you had with the stock setup? I imagine it would be pretty close, though I'm sure you're going to get a lot better MPG.

I still worry about the heat buildup under the manifolds, you'll have to let us know how that blanket is working. I'm still voting for a plate bolted to the bottom of the horns even if it's minimal just something to protect your tubes and wires.

How do you think they'd handle the racing reqs? I'm real curious to see power #'s. The rest of your engine is bone stock internals right? only mods are These, MS, and the EDIS right?

Again though, you've done an amazing thing... Right now they're the only ones in the world. I bet you just have to design V2, and set a price, and you'll be a busy guy. You might even get MSA, BD and all those distributors interrested.

Congrats again. you rock!

Phar

Hi Phar

At first I was a little disappointed in the power but I was sure tuning would help. I was right. It's absoloutly faster and has more pull than the SUs. And the sound..Ooo La La. The tuning is a little bit anticlimactic. You put the manifold on, get it running and then soon realize what a daunting task tuning can be. Then it turns into a bit of a grind as you tweak and read and tweak and read. Of course the fact that I've never tuned a EFI system before has been a hindrance. I'm still trying to get a handle on it. Somebody really should do a Megasquirt for dummies book!

I ordered a heat shield blanket from summit

the-11620_w.jpg

It's the right size and according to the specs it should do the job.

My engine is a L28 with dished pistons and an E88 head. Not much power out of that combo! 8.5:1 compression isn't going to set the world on fire.

I'm really happy with how everything came out. I just wish I could get the tuning a little better.

I'll post an in car video soon.

Derek

I wonder how well your setup would work with a turbo motor? :)

Greg

heh they'd mentioned that before, but you'd have to make a plenum and that would kinda ruin the look of those fancy horns.

Derek,

Hmm okay, I see that blanket might work, I was thinking a piece or two of stainless about the same width mounted under each manifold, basically enough to cover the wiring and tubing. That blanket looks good though.

How is the balance between the horns? did you have to do much if any tweaking for that, or is the balance tube doing it's job and allowing the IAC and bleeder to keep things even straight from the block?

I'm glad it's pulling a bit more than it was. I'd hate to think you did all this work and had basically stock performance. Gotta get you on a dyno then find some stock numbers to compare with, though it's too bad there's not before/after numbers. but hey if you go into production on these that shouldn't be a big deal to get.

Megasquirt for dummies... sounds like a good name for a stickie in the Megasquirt forum huh? unfortunately I can't help you much w/ MS.

Phar

Ok.

First off sorry for no posts lately but I've been quite burnt out as well as majorly frustrated with megasquirt. There's nothing wrong with megasquirt it's just a little much to take in in one gulp. Plus I'm sick again. Got the same crap I had in December. My wife is a school teacher and she seems to bring home every single bug.

I made some major breakthroughs today. First off I finally got my arms around the tuning thing. At least enough to make forward progress. After a couple of tuning runs I noticed something mighty queer with my vacuum line. It was sucked nearly flat! I put a stouter hose on and made another run.

WOW!!!

It just kept pulling and pulling and pulling. The road I was testing on was littered with cops so I couldn't get too crazy. My tach doesn't work yet but I was shifting around 5500 according to the log. It felt like it still had plenty to give! This thing is a lot faster than my crapped out SUs.

Now the car isn't super fast off the line as the motor just doesn't have the guts but it's a huge improvement. And around town it already drives better than the carbs.

And of course there's the sound. It's something!

The heat blanket is working great. It will burn you if you touch it but 1/2" away it's very cool. I've run it quite a bit and the wires show no sign of burning. I'm going to some temp probing and see what kind of temps I'll get.

I still have a ways to go but I'm uber happy so far.

They're everything I hoped for.

I need to make a mount for the video camera and see if I can come up with a better mike. Then I post an incar video.

Derek

Got the same crap I had in December. My wife is a school teacher and she seems to bring home every single bug.

My wife has the same job (Prep and year 1, read bug incubators). I fortunately don't get much of it though, put it down to positive thinking, but when I do, man it is a bad one.

Take care, and good luck with the tuning.