HybridZ

REAREND RATIO

Corzette

Guys, gotta question. I have the 700 R4 and love it. I have a R200 3:90 rearend. I also have a 3:54. Which one is better for the Quarter Mile? With the 3:90 it shifts into 4th before the end....any help is appreciated....

CorZette

Lubbock

It will depend on the powerband of your engine, on the hi and torque levels, car weight, etc. (in other words, on the expected quarter mile time). Most likely, the 3.9 rear end will make hooking up off the line a problem, unless you run slicks. A lot of time is burned up in that first 60'. So, based on this reasoning alone, the 3.54 is probably the better choice.

Your right about the 1st 60 feet. I have a stock 350 with headers and a Holley 600. It takes me 9.1 secs to 1/8 mile and only another 4.9 to the 1/4....running 13.9. Do you think this will help by changing to the 3.54? It spins off the line and into second gear as well.

Thanks

CorZette

------------------

CorZette

Thanks John, my best trap speed was 98.4 with the 3:90 but into 4th gear. Average around 96 or so. My secondaries aren't opening either...gotta get that fixed. I still have the mechanical fuel pump too. Changing that soon. Thanks for the input. Were going to a 383 stroker motor soon bored 30 over with some good heads...ANYONE have a suggestion on what heads to get. I have DART II heads now...should I keep them/ Also, anybody know what I should run in the 1/4 with the 383 bored 30 over? SPEED? Now stock 13.9 at 98MPH....Awaiting your replys!

CorZette...

I'd use Jim Biondo's build as a good example of a car running mid 11s with 500HP on a 407 Stroker. My build is using the same heads, but I'm running a hydraulic roller cam and mine is a 383. I also am not running fuel injection. On good street tires I'd suspect a 400HP build should get you mid to low 12s. Don't go crazy on the torque when you build it. I had my engine builder shoot for a nice broad torque curve, which got me a little less torque, but more usable torque over the rev range.

Heads: Any of the Brodix/ cannfield/ or Dart models are nice. My Dart conquest units are sweet. I also am a huge fan of Roller valve trains... big performance gain there...

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

corZette, Myron Here. I have the DartII heads

and they are great performers, BUT be carefull when go to put them in your Z car.

Dont buy the angle plug units. I did and I

had to get different street rod headers

and move the engine straight up about

1.5 inches for the whole mess to have clearance. I know 1.5 inches doesnt

sound like much but the end result can be seen in members rides. Doing so also

doesnt help the center of gravity of the car, it feels a little top heavy...