HybridZ

Cosworth engines.

G.I.jonas

The pinto block and Mazda blocks are very different. So the cossie head wont fit. And I dont think it would make much sense anyway.

A friend compered the cossie head vs a stock Mazda BP head(1.8 16valve) . Flow tested them both, and the stock Mazda head flowed better then the cossie head(with turbocharging in mind).

I've got a '89 Merkur XR4Ti with the Ford 2.3 Turbo. Take a look around http://www.turboford.net to read about the Volvo head conversion about 3 guys I'm aware of have done successfully. The Volvo 740 head (I think that's right) is the head they use and do some oil galley mods to create the DOHC 2.3L turbo-4 that turbo actually had ready to go for the following year's XR4Ti's and, I think, a continuance of the Mustang SVO. For some sad and funny reasons, Ford scrapped the SVO and the DOHC with it.

Of course, a number of guys are making plenty of power with the SOHC so the others don't see it to be worth it other than bling factor... and it is.

That's surprising considering that the turbo mazda motors out there put out crap for power. They get excited about anything over 250 on a stock motor and I rarely see the same 500+ cases you see with the other turbo 4 motors.

I guess most turboed Miata's are just stock motors with a turbokit. And the internals arent made to handle much more. But 250hp is 100+ over stock, and a stock cossie motor wont handle much more then 100-150 over stock either(the redtop cossies wont anyway). And neither will a 4G63 or a SR20.

And dont forget the Miata is a small and very light car. A 300bhp Miata will put up a good fight against alot more powerfull cars, you can take my word for it :)

There are 5-600bhp Miatas out there but they are rare. But that has little to do with the engine i think. Getting traction is a bigger problem then making power :D You dont see that much power in the Protege/323 GTX and GT-R(like my own) either, but thats becouse with that kind of power you would go trough a transmission every wheek (insted of 1 every year like me :D ).

Lets not forget there's plenty of monster miatas out there proving that many miata owners aren't fond of their engines.

And we've seen plenty of SR motors with more than 100hp over stock on stock internals. It's not THAT uncommon. Even 150 over stock isn't unheard of and can be done.

But I definately agree about the weight and traction issues. The miata is small and light, and the 500hp cases are rare because those levels are so unmanagable.

A comrad of mine went to cosworth to posiably buy one. Not sure the size but he normally uses 4 cylinder engines. They wanted 50,000 for a long block!!!! Ant those eaisy to find parts at 24,000 for a crank, I'd imagine there still on the shelf waiting for a sponser to come along.

If someone did put a cosworth in a Z it would be awsome

And we've seen plenty of SR motors with more than 100hp over stock on stock internals. It's not THAT uncommon. Even 150 over stock isn't unheard of and can be done.quote]

100hp over stock = roughly 300 - 350.

SR's builders are known to get to 550 on stock internals. Enjuku Racing is one of them.