HybridZ

Richmond T56

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok, folks, I'm considering dumping around 15 grand or so into my drivetrain, little ole L28 just isn't up to snuff anymore. Gonna need a manual, can't stand auto's anymore, and gonna need a good torque rating. Now, I can get to my question. Does anyone know if the Richmond T56, the one for the T5 Camaro's and what not, it's the 17 degree rotated one, is an interal rail shifter? Or is it an external linkage? Thanks much, in advance.

I THINK that ALL of th eRichmond trannies are external. Further - I believe the top gear is 1:1. Why are you considering that trans? The T56 ought to hold what you throw at it and if it can't you've got too much motor and no traction I'd bet smile.gif

think of the richmond trannies as five and six speed muncies, the five speed has a 1:1 ratio and i dont know about the ROD 6speed, but those things can take anything you throw at them, including your whole wallet!!!!! smile.gif

If your buying your Richmond from a speed shop that can custom build it/you can also have the gearing to suit your needs, however, the more gear swapping you require the more the price of the trans increases.

Unless you just want the awe-factor of saying, "I have a Richmond Trans" you wont gain that much over using a T-56 and the cost will be close to half the price of a Richmond trans.

I [assumed] you were referring to the Richmond 6spd?

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

[This message has been edited by Kevin Shasteen (edited April 19, 2001).]

Stay away from Richmond transmissions. I have a Richmond 5-speed, so I speak from experience. It has a 3.27 1st gear, and 1:1 5th. As some one already mentioned, these transmission are externally shifted. That's a plus if you are interested in custom shifter relocation, but a big minus in terms of (1) fitting the linkages inside the Z transmission tunnel, and (2) shifter feel. These things are NOTCHY! Downshifting is very difficult.

But, according to rumor, they are obscenely strong - as in, the strongest clutch-engaged transmission available, period. The official input torque rating is 450 ft-lbs, but unofficial is >>1000 ft-lbs. Just don't put it behind a top fueler. :-)

yes very notchy, downshifting is kinda hard compared to a t-5 /6 from a camaro, but not that hard, nuetral very small in those boxes,

exactly like a muncie, but with a fifth gear and an overdrive if you go six speed.

Well I used to think they were the most notchy trans ever made, excepting maybe the Jerico. However, My "Soon to be Brother in law" just put a Richmond 4speed in his ws3 Olds 442 and that trans is the smoothest shifting trans I have ever thrown a hand on. And that thing is pushing a 4000# car around. Also, Richmond transmissions are bullet proof. They aren't cheap, but you do get a WIDE selection of gear choices.. However, those external linkages would most likely give you fits I'm sure!

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

[This message has been edited by Mikelly (edited April 23, 2001).]

yeah, i forgot to say that the external linkage on my muncie was binding up because of tranny tunnel issues, causing the linkage to fail on me, making it at first really hard to shift, making me think it was an engagement/hydraulic issue with the clutch, which it was partly. i have since cut out and pulled out the tunnel and welded it back it with a small hump on the drivers side for clearance, a little clutch freeplay adjustment, and it shifts great, little notchy, but i can downshift at will.....richmonds shouldnt be that different, the cases look very similar and the external linkage is vere familiar..

Well, my transmission tunnel was heavily reworked - with large swathes cut out and replaced with a sheet metal skirt, all in order to fit around that linkage assembly. It was interesting, to say the least, fitting the Kirkey aluminum seat into its cradle (anchored to the roll cage) alongside of the tranny tunnel. The shift rods were also reworked on my car, with various lengths and arrangements tried. Yet it's still notchy.

Once the car is in motion, shifting is somewhat easier (that is, easier than it is sitting in the car with the engine off, just rowing through the gears with the clutch pushed in). But it still takes considerable effort, especially with a short-throw shifter handle.

I bought my Doug Nash 5-speed (same as a Richmond) "slightly" used, for $750 with the shifter. So in my case, economics played a significant role in the decision.