HybridZ

240SX owners: lookinf for feedback

tannji

I have the opportunity to grab a 91 240SX minus engine and tranny. It appears from description and photos to be fairly clean otherwise. I kinda like the 240SX in general, but have zero experience with them. Are there any reliable places to get the engine and tranny at a reasonable cost? Are there any known issues with this year of 240SX I should know about or be looking to avoid? I am looking at this as a potential daily driver, not a performance platform. (Unless an extra $30,000 or so drops in my lap for that Skyline conversion, lol)

Thanks for sharing in advance = )

...Are there any reliable places to get the engine and tranny at a reasonable cost?...

Pick 'N' Pull, the KA24de is a very stout engine, it was first designed for the Nissan Pick-up and was used, here in North America, in the S chassis, cause the American public prefers low end torque over high end power.

You can get the engine from earlier model nissan Pick-ups and Pathfinders and first gen. Altimas. except the Altima is FWD obviously. The good thing is, they are next to free, since everybody drops them for the SR or RB or VQ or even VH now...

...Are there any known issues with this year of 240SX I should know about or be looking to avoid?...

The frame rails, right where they curve up along the base of the fire wall, especially on the exhaust side. Due to a poor design, the cat. being too close to the chassis, the heat cycles that the sheet metal endures, speed up corrosion 10 folds.

Also the shock towers are prone to heavy corrosion and the rear dog legs.

Avoid HICAS, too complicated device to survive trough 20+ years of day to day abuse.

Also, the 89 model came with a LONG nose R200,

89-90 had a 12Valve engine, later ones had a 16Valve.

If you're tall, avoide car with sun roof.

...also, an sr20 fits great

I sure hope so LOL. It's the stock engine for the car everywhere else in the world. I think they in fact designed the car and the engine together.

actually you cannot use the FWD altima KA in a 240, they arent exactly the same. the heads are different, and the dizzy is mounted in the back of the head so it would hit the firewall in a RWD car, and the FWD cant be used in a RWD car, it wont bolt in. the only engine you can do that with is the CA18.