HybridZ

LS1 Clutch recommendations

I in the middle of my LS 1( 02 ss camaro ) swap, remove the tranny today to install the clutch line . While I had the tranny off I took off the clutch to inspect it, found it needs to be replaced. I have been looking for a replacement .Called Advance auto parts and they have a kit for $ 430 (Zoom). Would any of you, guys have and experience with this clutch, or have a recommendations on a good clutch. I will be using the car as a nice weather driver, no track or drag racing. The motor is stock and I don't plan on any power HP. up grade.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend staying with oem. Advance auto parts and Zoom don't sound good. The LS6-Z06 is a great set up and a bang for the buck. Grabs excellent, no chatter and a soft pedal. On top of that, you can't go wrong for the price! I ran a 10.94 @ 127.00 in my Z with that set up. Here is a link for you. http://www.sdparts.com/product/12570806/LS6Z06FlywheelClutchandPressurePlateAssembly.aspx

Or you can step up to the LS7-Z06 set up. It can handle more h.p. and torque. Same feel as the LS6-Z06. Here are links to the kit and flywheel. http://www.sdparts.com/product/24238412/GMPerformanceLS7PressurePlateKit.aspx (plate and disc) and http://www.sdparts.com/product/12571611/GMPerformanceLS2Flywheel.aspx (flywheel)

Joey

Thanks Joey.

I did some searching and found the LS 7 clutch kit at a very good price. at the same parts place you recommend here's the link . I will be calling them on Monday. Another weekend wasted, as I had hoped to install the engine tranny this weekend.

http://www.sdparts.com/product/SDLS7CLUTCH/LS7ClutchKitPressurePlateDiscFlywheel.aspx

I ran the SPec Stage3 and loved it when I had my C5 Vette. The Z06 clutch is fine for stock HP and torque ratings up to a stock C5 Z06. Exceed them an you will kill that clutch in short order, so if any future mods are inteded, don't go stock... I replaced 2 of the OEM Z06 clutches in the 2.5 years I owned my vette. After the 2nd one, I went with the Spec Stage3.

Mike

• 1 year later...

Bringing this one back from the dead. Looking for more recent recommendations for 5.3L LS pushing probably 350-400 whp. Spec 3 has been mentioned as has Monster in my checking around. I emailed monster and got a response that I should go with their Level 3 (spec 3 equiv) and that it holds down 700hp and chatters for 500 miles. Well, this being a trailer queen that won't see anything but autox for a while, 500 miles of chatter is a problem. Anyone have a solution that doesn't chatter that works reasonably well for this power level?

I've read that the LS7 clutch is very heavy, so I'm kinda leaning away from that one. Looks like you're talking about 45lbs for the Monster with their lightweight flywheel, which still sounds awfully heavy to me...

I'm running a mcLeod single disk (new PP and flywheel put in at same time) and i'm right smack in your power range (haven't dyno'd since new intake/tb and .6sec drop off 1/4mile times).

No chatter whatsoever. grabs great and even my wife can drive the car to and from work without issue.

I'm running a tilton 7.25 twin disc set up. It bolts directly to the crank and uses a flex plate instead of a fly wheel. I think the whole set up weighs less than 15 lbs. 2 years on the track and it looked fine the last time I had it apart. There is no feathering the clutch. A wench on the trailer is a must.

I'm running a tilton 7.25 twin disc set up. It bolts directly to the crank and uses a flex plate instead of a fly wheel. I think the whole set up weighs less than 15 lbs. 2 years on the track and it looked fine the last time I had it apart. There is no feathering the clutch. A wench on the trailer is a must.

I was thinking of this originally but was told that it might be a little too light and cause issues on decel like locking up, etc. Have you had any issues there, and what did you pay for that setup?

I have a winch on the trailer... still need to get a wench on the trailer though! :wink:

Do you have any pics of your wench? Does she know Tiger?

I have had no problems with lock up on decel. I'll call that a myth. I think I paid about 750 for it 3 or 4 years ago.

Here is a pic of my wench. This is a must in any trailer.

2256008.47.jpg

I was thinking of this originally but was told that it might be a little too light and cause issues on decel like locking up, etc. Have you had any issues there, and what did you pay for that setup?

I have a winch on the trailer... still need to get a wench on the trailer though! :wink:

I've never had any issues with locking it up on deceleration at all. I'm the kinda guy that prefer's to just take my foot off accelerator vs using a lot of braking so I would have expected to have noticed something if there was an issue. We are at 3000miles on our swap and the clutch. I think it was about $850 for the entire setup.

I called Tilton and told them what I was doing and they told me what I needed. It was flex plate, stock is fine since no torque is transmitted thru the flex plate, clutch pack, hardware and throwout bearing.

Another option to check out is quartermaster clutches. Similar to the tilton setup.

I called Tilton and told them what I was doing and they told me what I needed. It was flex plate, stock is fine since no torque is transmitted thru the flex plate, clutch pack, hardware and throwout bearing.

Another option to check out is quartermaster clutches. Similar to the tilton setup.

I actually have the stock flex plate from my 5.3 too...

Jon,

I have been running a 7.25" Tilton twin disc (sintered metal) for three years and found it to be totally trouble free and actually very driveable (my car still has a license plate). The engagement point is precise but just takes a little getting used to. It's the only clutch I've ever had in the z that has not failed in some way. Mine's mounted on a Tilton flywheel but the flexplate option is better for a track car I believe.

One bonus, you can sometimes find smoking deals on the triple disc version since the nascar guys use them as well.