HybridZ

LS1 Clutch recommendations

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So treat me like a 4 year old, because I know very little about the V8 world. I presume that the 7.25 clutch setups are basically all the same, except single disk, dual, and triple. Presumably there are different materials for lighter weight, etc. I assume that not all of the disks are the same. Surely Ford has a different spline count than Dodge and GM, and a T10 probably has a different count than a T56. Also I would guess that the flywheels are different diameters, no? I thought one piece rear main or two piece had to do with the older SBC's, but I don't see LS flexplates advertised, just one and two piece rear main as the distinguishing features... ???

Yes a 7.25" Tilton cover can be built as a single, dual or triple disc. The cover is mounted on stands (perches?) and the discs are stacked with plates in between. More discs = longer perches = taller clutch assembly. Buy the disc(s) with the correct spline for your trans and choose the friction material. Tilton makes a couple different friction materials and I've been told that the Clutch Masters 7.25 discs work as well (unverified).

Sorry can't help on V8 flywheel/flexplate compatibility..

Jon,

If you have the stock flex plate from the 5.3 you are set. The flex plate and this part

img-99-0-large.jpg7.25" Optimum Button Flywheels

bolt to the crank. The clutch stack and pessure plate, these parts

!BhtHcfQCGk~$(KGrHqMH-CcEsLMR8ftwBLKYc18Vqg~~_35.JPG

bolt to the button flywheel.

Compare the approximate 15 lbs of rotating mass of this set up to the 50lbs or so of the stock set up. It revs very quickly.

If you have the stock flex plate from the 5.3 you are set. The flex plate and this part

img-99-0-large.jpg7.25" Optimum Button Flywheels

I assume that the bolt pattern on the crank is different from Chevy to Ford to Chrysler, etc. so it is important to get the right one. Looks like the one in the picture is drilled for a pin, I don't seem to recall a pin on my crank, but I wasn't really looking for it when I took the plate off, I was just looking to get the engine on a stand.

Compare the approximate 15 lbs of rotating mass of this set up to the 50lbs or so of the stock set up. It revs very quickly.

I've seen 510s and other cars with Tilton and QM clutches before, so I get this part. Quicker shifting, faster revving, seems like it would make for nice heel toe downshifts too.

Did you have to up your idle speed? Most of the cars I've seen with race clutches had that fast lope at about 2000 rpm or higher.

You do need to get the button flywheel for your application. There was no pin on my ls1 either.

I did not do anything to the computer other than disable the vats. It idles with out any issues. When I did the heads and cam, that changed the idle characteristics. It required much more air on decel to keep it running. The tuner (Jeff Creach) says he sees this with cars with this clutch set up. It still idles at about 950 or so.

Those ebay clutches look like a great deal. You would still need to buy the correct button flywheel. It looks like most of those come without any type of flywheel.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. I just looked up the OT II triple in Coleman and it is ~$900. I didn't see Tilton flywheels, but they do have Sonic in Coleman (I would guess they're compatible... ???) and they look to go for $175.

So used clutch for $150ish, flywheel for $175, and it's looking like a pretty good deal. Even if the clutch disks needed replacing at $300 you're still coming out ahead by a couple hundred bucks. Just need to figure out what if anything needs to be done for the hydraulics.

What's your opinion on running the triple vs dual. It seems like if I could get the triple cheap there wouldn't be too much harm in running it...

You are also going to need a throw out bearing specific to the clutch used. I cobbled together parts from Quartermaster and Mcleod to make something that would work because I had the parts laying around.

Tilton makes a throw out bearing that bolts to the t-56. I checked there clutch componet cataloge but could not find it. I have seen it installed just don't know the part number. It's on a buddies 944 ls-1 track car. It will be a beast!

I'm running a double and if I had seen the ebay stuff I would have been all over it. The triple will be a few lbs heavier but it is still nothing near the weight of the stock set up.

Quartermaster 7.25 is interchangable with the tilton stuff. I have had both on the bench. The 944 I mentioned is running a tilton triple disc with a quartermaster button flywheel.

That may be another option to check out.

Good luck sourcing parts. I hope you find a killer ebay deal.

Thanks for all the help. I have a pretty aggressive bid in on one of the clutches that's up now. If that doesn't work out the guy who was selling the flywheel says he can get the whole new triple clutch setup for the the LS1 for $475, so I might just go that way and have brand new parts.

Tilton has discontinued the LS1 button flywheel. I was outbid for the OT-II setup. Looking now at the QM 2 and 3 disk setups, have a request for a quote in to the guy who was selling the flywheel in the link above.

Tilton is also helping with the throwout bearing, I'll post the end result of that discussion when we get it figured out.