HybridZ

Why are Mercedes V8's SOOO cheap?!

proxlamus©

I have been browsing eBay the past few weeks and Mercedes V8's are stupid cheap.. like under $2,000 for a 275-350hp V8. (not AMG tuned) *E420 engine specifically*

Other engines can go up to $5,000 but thats around the price range of a newer LS motor..

what's wrong w them again?!

they sound AMAZING

You really wanna know why?

Nobody wants them, that's why. No one considers a Mercedes engine a performance powerplant, yet alone a replacement engine for cheaper MB models. Additionally, as MJLamberson has already written, there is virtually no aftermarket for these engines. And if there is, it is in Europe, where prices in MB tuning companies are really high, and I mean SKY HIGH.

agreed with above, also they are kinda fragile. My friend is a tech at MB here and he's had to do quite a few full rebuilds on cars less than 5 years old. Not to mention most of them you have to suck the oil of the motor and they require special oil filters only available at guess who... MB.

But damn... the AMG's are retarded fast for how much they weigh.

• 1 month later...

Just to let you guys know, I've been researching these motors and will continue to do so. Information is hard to come by, but I'll be asking my friends dad soon about the merc V8 engines (he's been running a european auto repair shop for over 20 years now and knows quite a bit about the ins and outs on these hard to work on cars).

Seems to me they'd make GREAT swap candidates, once you figure out the transmission. Manuals aren't options in many of these cars, and hard to find on the ones that did have manuals. I havn't found a common tranny they all mate up to, again, information is hard to find.

The main reason I'm looking at these motors is that though 2k seems cheap for 300hp as prox put it, I think they'll get even cheaper. I see plenty of late 80's mercedes at the local PNP where you can get the entire engine and everything needed to make it run for under $400, now THAT is cheap HP. I've seen some V8 cars, and with how many million luxury cars exist here in the bay area, and with the way people drive them they're bound to reach the junkyards is huge numbers.

If I can find one of the M119 engines now, I'm sure there will be plenty more down the road. As long as I'm not trying to double the HP who cars what kinda performance upgrades there are out there for them? They make decent power stock and they're light motors. I've never seen many people scoff at 300hp stock anyways. ;)

Once I have a solid foundation of knowledge I'll be posting more details later, probably in a few months.