HybridZ

Installing door glass help

I finally found a set of door windows that are perfect. Got my old glass out fairly easy. Spent 3 hrs cussing at the new glass and never got them in. There has to be a certain method to getting these in. I tried with the runners both all the way up so that they are off the track and with them all the way down. Just can't figure it out. Looking for pointers....

Put the window in the complete up position and then roll it down say 2 turns. Slide the bottom of the glass into the runners and push it down till it stops. Using the holes in the sides of the metal door panel, put in the screws, youll have to roll it down or up to have access to each of them.

This is assuming you have the door panel off and the glass frame off.

I dont reccomend unbolting the runners, that will make it harder.

When I have done that I have loosened all of the guides so I could move them around as needed. I also (actualy) removed the guides first and cleaned out all the old grease and put in new grease. It is a dirty job and can be a royal PITA but I think it is worth it. BTW use a felt marker and mark all the adjustment screws and nuts prior to loosening (just draw a circle around them) this will help you get it back in alignment when you have the new glass in.

Dragonfly

:twisted: I have to ask "What year Z did you get it out of?" Door glass for the 260 (big bumper)/280Z has a different frame on it and will not work as is in the early 240Z. You have to change the frames to make it work. Other then that the above answers were pretty good about putting it back together. I remove the sliding rail in the front (it is were the frame rides/guides it self up and down in the rail system). After I get the rest of the system in line. I put the rail back in and bolt it down. Good Luck with it.:burnout:

• 2 months later...
I am having the same problem. So should I take the glass off of the metal piece its bolted on to, then install the glass last? I'm so very confused. I've been messing with it off and on for a week now, and I still can't get it right.

I tried taking the glass off the metal frame and then putting it back on after everything else was assembled... BIG mistake, as I very carefuly tightened the screws back down the glass shattered it seems I forgot how delicate glass is to compression/pinching.

Personal recomendation is don't do it.

Dragonfly

Do you have access to the factory manual? For the 240z there is a picture that shows a guy replacing the window and if you do it the same way it shown in the picture works better. From memory (may or may not be accurate) you lower it into the door front end down so that the roller goes in the channel attached to the glass. Then rotate the back side of the window down and fit the front of the glass in the front channel. I honestly can't remember if you do this with the big upper channel attached to the door or not. I DO know that I have done it several times in my 240z and if I can do it anybody can. You DO NOT have to remove the parts bolted to the glass.