HybridZ

Richmond 5 or 6 speeds

Z-Dreamer

Guest Frank280z

Richmond has a good product line. There 6 spd. are bulky. But they all are. I'm sure it wouldn't take up anymore space than a t56.(But beware of the side linkage.) In my local speed shop book;It shows the length totaling 28.23". The T5 F body

replacement shows to be 2.5" longer. And that comes with a crossmember/speedo cable ext/ and shifter for torque arm hookup.

Frank

I have a Doug Nash 5-speed (same as the Richmond 5-speed) behind the 454 big block in my '78 Z. The car is oh so close to actually running, but right now it's sitting in a parking lot. The transmission fits in the 280z tunnel without too many problems. There was actually room for a dual 2 1/2" exhaust. However, the shifter is DEFINITELY a problem. I had to cut a 5" hole in the driver's side of the transmission tunnel, and then fabricated a cylindrically-shaped "box" to accommodate the shifter. These externally shifted transmissions evidently all have that flaw. Also, as pointed out by my hot rod buddy, some of the Richmonds have sloppily installed linkage rods. This is often misdiagnosed as hard shifting. We ended up having to cut, bend, and reweld several of them.

The Richmond 5 (and 6) speeds are hot rodding staples, reputed to be the only transmissions that can handle serious drag racing. The official 450 ft-lb torque rating is very conservative. But, in hindsight, I would not recommend the Richmond 5-speed. It has no overdrive (5th gear is 1:1), and the shifter, like I mention, requires some finesse. But, if you have a "serious" racing engine (I actually don't, unfortunately), and want a stick-shift transmission, this is probably the safest option.