HybridZ

Z32 Auto behind L28?

LT280z

If the Z32 5 spd bolts right up with the Mazworx adapter than i would think the Auto would be the same. Just wondering if anyone here has done this swap and has any info on the results. Talked to Mazworx yesterday and they said they didnt see a problem with the set-up but i would like to know if anyone has actually done the swap yet. After some late night reading it seems that the Z32 Auto can handle decent power (who knows for how long). If you have any info post up!

Searched and came up with nothing

You would need to come up with a torque converter and flexplate that will work with the auto transmission.

The Q45 auto transmission is the same thing with a different bellhousing. They can be upgraded to hold about 800 horsepower and be manually shifted.

IPT does rebuilds and sells the performance parts...

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/nissanauto.shtml

What is the conversion for, and extra gear (overdrive) or for serious track (drag) work??

I'm using an L4n71B behind my L28 with great success. On the highway, it substancially drops the revs down with an 0.686:1 O/D ratio.

Compared to the L3n71B, 1st and 2nd gears are a little lower for more torque. For me in my heavy street car, this is a bonus.

In Australia, VL Commodore Turbos (a GM/H car) used the RB30ET Nissan engine. The L4n71B boxes in those could handle extreme power ups with suitable modifications. I consider these Jatco's to be pretty tough. Something to consider perhaps.

Cheers.:cool:

What is the conversion for, and extra gear (overdrive) or for serious track (drag) work??

I'm using an L4n71B behind my L28 with great success. On the highway, it substancially drops the revs down with an 0.686:1 O/D ratio.

Compared to the L3n71B, 1st and 2nd gears are a little lower for more torque. For me in my heavy street car, this is a bonus.

In Australia, VL Commodore Turbos (a GM/H car) used the RB30ET Nissan engine. The L4n71B boxes in those could handle extreme power ups with suitable modifications. I consider these Jatco's to be pretty tough. Something to consider perhaps.

Cheers.:cool:

What was required to run the L4n71B box behind the L series? direct bolt up, adapter plate needed, etc

The purpose of the auto would be to make 1/4 mile times consistent. The motor will soon be making a little over 400rwhp I hope. The five speed z32 trans would be nice and do the job but with the way i drive i think the auto would be the better choice. I dont really do alot of track (roadcoarse) driving. I take the car to the 1/4 mile every now and then, and hunt down the occasional street car that underestimates the Zcar.

Jatco 4N71 transmission

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

L4N71B/E4N71B

Manufacturer Jatco

Production 1983–1997

Predecessor 3N71

Successor 4R01

Class 4-speed longitudinal automatic transmission

The 4N71 was a 4-speed automatic transmission from Nissan Motors. It was available as wither a light-duty ("L4N71B") or medium-duty ("E4N71B") unit for rear wheel drive vehicles with longitudinal engines.

Applications:

L4N71B

1983–1984 Nissan Maxima

1984–1988 Nissan 200SX

1984–1989 Dodge Conquest

1984–1986 Plymouth Conquest

1984–1988 Mazda RX-7

1984– Mitsubishi Starion

1986–1989 Nissan Pathfinder

1986–1989 Mazda Pickup

1986–1989 Nissan pickup

1987–1989 Nissan Van

1989–1995 Mazda MPV

1990–1993 Mazda Pickup

1991–1997 Mazda Miata

E4N71B

1984–1989 Nissan 300ZX

1984–1989 Dodge Conquest

1987–1988 Nissan 200SX

Found this in a quick search

http://www.z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=889&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

This link has the info you need for either the 4n or the 3n71b. The e4n71b might work as well, I can't say for sure. The 4n71b has 4 gear planetary's which is rated at a much higher hp than the stock 3 gear set found in 3n71b's. As far as I know they are interchangeable and recommended when looking at big hp.

What was required to run the L4n71B box behind the L series? direct bolt up, adapter plate needed, etc

The L4n71B ia s hydraulically operated trans. The E4n71B is a later version that is controlled by a dedicated ECU.

I personally like the idea of running a purely hydraulic trans because of its simplicity. For the street, I run an adjustable vacuum modulator valve that lets me determine the shift points somewhat in relation to engine vacuum.

You might be able to source a US Nissan/Datsun L series that came with a 4 speed trans. In Oz, the R30 Skyline had the L24E engine and the last run of those in 1984-5 had the L4n71B. From then, when the R31 came to Oz, they had changed over to the RB series so the belhousing was changed and the trans was upgraded(?) to electronic control. Also, as mentioned, these transmissions came in GM VL Commodores.

If you can find one for the L series, get the flexplate as it is different to the one for the 3n71b. The other changes include building a new crossmember to suit the different style of mounting. Not really hard to adapt if you can weld, so grab the crossmember if you can. The output shaft is larger so you'll need the first part of the tailshaft (prop shaft) to have it adapted to yours. (I had to do all of this to make it fit into my machine!! Not particularly cheap, but I'm very happy with my conversion.)

There is a company here in Australia that is currently working on a transbrake for these transmissions and 3n71b's Almost ready for release so they say. Their website is: http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=8295

Hope this helps mate, cheers:wink:

• 15 years later...

Z31 turbos had a good amount of beef internally compared to a nissan 910 maxima version……which has the bell housing you need along with some later 280zx cars.   

Extreme heat often causes failure when a plastic spacer gets hot and shrinks.    There are updated parts that help it live.