HybridZ

Got my T3/T04E hybrid turbo today! (pics too of course)

hughdogz

To estimate HP, I used the figures from here: http://www.sdsefi.com/techform.htm

Convert the 47 lbs/min to CFM: (47 lbs/min) * (1 cubic foot / 0.0765 lbs) = 614 CFM

Using 1.5 CFM per HP makes it: 601 CFM * (1 HP / 1.5 CFM) = 409 HP

Is this rwhp or not? I believe this is right about where John is now with his 50 trim.

I guess only a dyno will tell for certaom what my setup will do ~24 psi.

To estimate HP, I used the figures from here: http://www.sdsefi.com/techform.htm

Convert the 47 lbs/min to CFM: (47 lbs/min) * (1 cubic foot / 0.0765 lbs) = 614 CFM

Using 1.5 CFM per HP makes it: 601 CFM * (1 HP / 1.5 CFM) = 409 HP

Is this rwhp or not? I believe this is right about where John is now with his 50 trim.

I guess only a dyno will tell for certain what my setup will do ~24 psi.

The SDS calculation would be for brake horsepower aka crank horsepower. On a compressor map it takes about 10lb/min of air for an efficient engine to make 100BHP. The L28 head is not a cross flow or 4V head so we need a bit more, say 11lb/min per 100BHP. So if your engine should make 400BHP you should see about 340RWHP on a chassis dyno. This would be with a 15% drivetrain loss. These are all rough estimates and can change depending on the dyno, temperature, barometric pressure, air density...etc. My compressor has an Innovative GT58 trim wheel with a .50 A/R housing. The turbine is a .63 Nissan with a stage5 ten blade wheel. Below is the map. So far I've made 454.9RWHP with this turbo.

GT58_thumb.jpg

hughdogz, don't worry. 400hp is a lot and will certainly entertain you. Should be able run a very low twelve or even a high eleven 1/4 mile if traction is good enough.

I feel you can make your 375 rwhp goal (430 crank hp) with a msa stage 1 turbo cam and 22 psi of boost. Otherwise, the stock cam would need 24 psi to make 330 rwhp.

hughdogz, don't worry. 400hp is a lot and will certainly entertain you. Should be able run a very low twelve or even a high eleven 1/4 mile if traction is good enough.

I feel you can make your 375 rwhp goal (430 crank hp) with a msa stage 1 turbo cam and 22 psi of boost. Otherwise, the stock cam would need 24 psi to make 330 rwhp.

400hp at the wheels should be good to low 11's if he can get GOOD traction. I've personally run 12.3 at 109 in a 3300lb camaro, that equates to about 330rwhp or ~390 crank hp using 20% drivetrain loss because of my big stalled automatic.

But yes, 400hp will be VERY entertaining. I bet ~330 would still put a smile on your face.:D

I'm jealous of your nice compressor map(and the shiny stuff), mine isn't quite as nice. I'm a little worried about surge. link to map

I'm jealous of your nice compressor map(and the shiny stuff), mine isn't quite as nice. I'm a little worried about surge. link to map

Just use a larger turbine like .82 or higher and you should be OK. Your compressor looks like it will support decent power but like you implied, it might surge if the boost comes on too quickly.

Sweet! I have plans to eventually use an MSA stage II cam and do some head work too (unshroud valves, smooth runners, 5-angle valve job). I could also port the exhaust manifold too. These should really help me with my goal.

If jgkurz's calculations are right, even 340 RWHP should be a fun ride. :-P

As some others pointed out, I might be tempting fate by using the ultimate in an S130. It is 1 3/8" thicker than a stock wastegate housing, so I have even less room for a 3" DP.

I hope I won't have interference issues with the DP and firewall. If a 3" CLR donut won't fit I'm screwed! :oops:

I hope I won't have interference issues with the DP and firewall. If a 3" CLR donut won't fit I'm screwed! :oops:

Hugh, To fit my 3" DP in my S30 I had to create a small channel in the transmission tunnel with a "jaws of life" hydraulic spreader. You may need to do the same.

from my experience with a 50 trim T3/T4 hybrid on SRT-4's this turbo is actually able to put down 500 WHP in a FWD setup, on a side note what are you doing about the hole for an external wastegate on the 5 bolt portion? if left open like that it will not boost at all.

If im just stupid and didnt notice what you said pertaining to that then forget what i just said lol but what i would of done is got a 5 bolt internal wastegate flange, brought a 3" downpipe out of it on the outlet side, and then brought a small pipe out for welding an external wastegate flange on it...like this example, which is the pipe furthest to the left, it is an O2 housing for a 5 bolt turbo that has an external wastegate flange welded to it...and it has already proven 690 WHP on an SRT-4 so i know it works

AMSTurboKit002.jpg

Just use a larger turbine like .82 or higher and you should be OK. Your compressor looks like it will support decent power but like you implied, it might surge if the boost comes on too quickly.

I was thinking a stg 3 wheel in a bored out stock housing, or were you assuming I already had a stg 3 wheel?

That reminds me, I need to start another thread.

• 1 year later...