HybridZ

long tube ls1 headers

really dont think there's room for long tube headers i wanted to make some

but had enough trouble building rhd side one for my car which ended up just a 4 into one theres just so little room but my car is rhd

you make get something on rhd side in a lhd car but dont believe you would get anything better on the lhd side to balance it to

Custom headers can be made to fit, but with the limited space having the flow that long tubes provide will be lost in the bends you need to make for them to fit. It is tight between the frame rails, steering on driver side--starter on passenger side.

I have a C5, LS1 240Z is correct these motors breath so much better with long tubes. I having some KOOKS LT put on my C5, I will take some measurements then. This pic show how tight it is.

Z_engine_pic_no_lt.jpg

Is the Broken Kitty LS1 mounting kit equally as good as the JTR kit? What headers to use if you use the BK mounting kit?

JTR doesn't make a mount kit for the ls1. But they do sale the headers that fit the BK kit. I always thought this was weird also.

• 2 months later...
I'm taken my car 2 weeks to HURST'S racecar to get a set made. He is also going to build to mounts for the engine, going to use a front mount set up,doing it this way it gives use more room..

I would like to hear the details about this as I live in La Porte Texas and just got an LS1 motor for my 240Z.

Custom headers can be made to fit, but with the limited space having the flow that long tubes provide will be lost in the bends you need to make for them to fit. It is tight between the frame rails, steering on driver side--starter on passenger side.

I have a C5, LS1 240Z is correct these motors breath so much better with long tubes. I having some KOOKS LT put on my C5, I will take some measurements then. This pic show how tight it is.

Z_engine_pic_no_lt.jpg

I have the Sanderson shorty headers, but I can't use Johns motor mounts. The corvette mounts I have interfere with the Sanderson headers. In the last month I've seen two sets of C5 z06 exhaust manifolds that appear to be different than the standard Ls1 and C5 manifolds. I understand from my search function that F body manifolds fit, provided you cut/grind the flanges and/or relocate the O2 sensor bung. I don't like the "look" of the F body manifolds. The search function also located one comment that the C5 corvette exhaust manifolds do not fit. No comment as to where the interference might be.

Does any one have any information as to whether the Z06 exhaust manifolds, which to my eye look very good and seem to have runners that are closer to being equal length that the Sanderson shorties would fit? There have been several sold on EBay for $150 + Shipping. I saw a set of Ls7 stainless steel exhaust manifolds go on Ebay for $35.00 + shipping. (Yes, I punched the "submit" button too late) from Ligenfelter's Ebay store. Now those are center dump with all runners in a straight flat line.

Given the price differential between stock exhaust manifolds and Sanderson's piece, I think there would be a number of other ls1 swappers that could use more information on GM's stock manifolds. I'll try to post some photos.

g

i have been tossing around the idea of making some stainless steel longtube headers for the ls1 conversion since there isnt anyone out there who mass produces them. if there are enough people out there who are interested in the idea i can work on making a template for a custom set of long tubes. i havent tried doing it yet since there isnt a huge amount of room but i think i could weld a mock up set and see what yall think

I bet 90% of the people would swap to a great long tube setup. I know I would. Hopefully with this chassid you wouldnt have to relift the motor out just to do a longtube swap.. Keep that in mind about being able to get them in and on without the motor coming out unless that is just a MUST DO for the setup and i'd prolly still switch.

Guest Gr8White
if there are enough people out there who are interested in the idea i can work on making a template for a custom set of long tubes.

Put me down for a set, ceramic coated of course! I've always cringed at the thought of shorties on an LS engine. They should offer a 5000 rpm governer with the sale of any shortie headers! Shorties are probably better than I give them credit for. I was holding out buying headers for my LS2 hoping somebody made a full length set or would soon offer them...Provided these are good quality you could probably sell these as quick as you make them. Start a poll....

If I remember right this was one of the considerations discussed when JCI was using my car to prototype their components. I did not want to sacrifice daily drivability so we stuck with the shorty style headers. The long tubes would have ended up under the car and significantly reducing ground clearance. If you're planning a track only car you can probably pull it off.