HybridZ

240Z L28ET project

I removed the old engine this week:

Picture418.jpg

And started to remove all the oil-based coating crap from the engine bay.

It still needs a ton of work but it's getting there:

Picture416.jpg

Picture415.jpg

Here's a pic of the Treadstone intercooler:

Picture419.jpg

And got some more minor work done on the block, like scraping off the old gasket material:

Picture414.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
man, ur project sure is moving swiftly! i was just wondering, what school do you go to? i'm originally from ma and was just curious...

I go to Bridgewater State College; I'll be going on my fifth year, unfortunately lol.

I say shoot the engine man. Just let that "while your at it bug" bite you some more lol. Nice project man.

You thinkin MS in the near future??

Not sure what you mean by "shooting the engine", but yeah I plan to run MSII with a 4 bar MAP sensor, GM LS1 coil-on-plug setup with EDIS, and wideband 02.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I will be painting the engine bay, semi-gloss black for now. I desperately want to strip the whole car down, media blast it, and re-paint the whole thing one color, but I just can't afford it right now. It will happen eventually though.

BTW my coil-on-plug setup arrived in the mail and it's AWESOME! I'll post a pic eventually.

Oh, and if anyone wants to buy my '75 EFI fuel tank, I'm selling it for $200 shipped. I decided to do a fuel cell since it will eventually be road-raced, hopefully....

• 2 weeks later...

Neither can I! Hahaha

I'm still waiting on a shipping quote for the Z32 trans/driveshaft/bellhousing adapter. I'm also trying to get an engine swap done on my friend's MR2 so I can get paid and buy the necessary parts for an engine rebuild. Annnd waiting for a nice day so I can paint the engine bay and put the body panels back on :)

Ooh ooh, and I decided on a color, finally. I was going back and forth between repainting it british racing green, going back to the original color, silver, or painting it the obligatory but very handsome midnight blue. I think I have chosen silver. I saw this S30: http://youtube.com/watch?v=7DsyyndCfIQ&feature=related and that swayed me quite a bit. I might put a poll up later and see what everyone else thinks, not that their opinions really matter but why not, lol.

After lurking forums and registers, local papers, awing at friends various project cars, reading this thread has given me some new inspiration and ideas to what to do with my Z.

Spent the better part of about 5 years looking for a 240, got a 71 240 with an L28 dropped into it, not too sure what version L28 but either way the body is rust free, panel work needs some attention, brakes have seized and the gearbox is on the way out.

From what Ive been reading of your project, anything is possible, I look forward to reading up on more of your project as it pans out, and hopefully, ground my head in regards to what Im going to do with mine.

Also are you saying you think your running 300hp @ only 10 psi? Im also kind of skeptical of them being good for 300hp.

I highly doubt the stock turbo and fuel system could create enough bang to coax 300hp out of that engine, but if you've got proof... From what I've seen you've worked on more than your fair share of Z cars, Scoutman :)

this setup is only good for about 220 but it makes a good daily driver w/ the factory blow off valve,when we ran the dyno at 18psi it made 288 at the rear wheels .i liked it better at 10 it was a lot easier to drive this way.and i never said it had the stock turbo on it ;) .i had it reworked at a local aircraft shop here in okc it is a real hybrid now

I highly doubt the stock turbo and fuel system could create enough bang to coax 300hp out of that engine, but if you've got proof... From what I've seen you've worked on more than your fair share of Z cars, Scoutman :)

Lurk the archives, it's been done... if we're talking 300 crank HP then that's EASY. 300 rear wheel hp has been done on the stock turbo and fuel as well. Not very often though.

At 10PSI though... not unless the head has been modded, but scout already cleared that up.

300 crank hp will only be about 255 wheel hp, which will need about 13psi on the stock turbo or so to make depending on air temp, elevation, etc. Stock fuel injectors will be fine at that point. Maybe raise the fuel pressure a couple PSI.

300 wheel hp will need about 15psi, which has been done on the stock turbo. At that point the fuel pressure will need to be about 60-70psi or higher.

I can't say how reliable it would be though... One interesting setup I saw a long time ago, was a guy running his fuel at 100 psi!!!!! He was using several stock nissan fuel pumps to supply the extra fuel. (two pumps in series or parallel will supply twice the fuel, or be under half the stress at the same flow)

My point is that there's been some insane things done in the past, and I've learned to believe nearly anything is possible with some creative engineering.