HybridZ

240Z L28ET project

Got the transmission last month. Forgot to post. It looks good!

Unfortunately, the engine swap in my MR2 decided to have rod knock, so I now have to bust my ass to get that out, rebuilt, and put back in before summer's end. In the meantime, I'm putting the L26 back in the Z and getting the Weber carbs rebuilt so I can just drive the damn thing. I got the head off the L28 (it was a real pain since one of the head bolts broke off in the head) and it was looking pretty messy so I don't think I want to chance running high boost pressure off it. The cost of a rebuild on two motors is gonna cost me a lot of money and time, so I dont know how long it'll be before I get this thing done!

I'm considering at this point selling all the L28ET stuff and using the money to get the car itself cleaned up, then buying and swapping in an RB26DETT when I dig myself out of debt. We'll see

• 4 months later...

Haven't posted in a while; I've been hard at work on boring stuff, but the project may be picking up steam thanks to a great find (more on that shortly).

I got the L26 refreshed with new gaskets and oil pump, repainted the block, got the Weber carbs rebuilt, reinstalled it and was installing my Autometer Phantom gauges when I realized the wiring harness was a total hack job. I took the dash and harness completely out of the car, and while I was at it completely removed the interior to clean everything and hopefully get the old car smell out!

Now more on that great find! I was hunting through Craigslist for a beater car and came upon a "1983 Datsun for sale, $500" No other info listed. I emailed them, they told me it was a "280Z" (obviously a ZX), and I set up a time to go look at it. It just happened to be only 12 miles from my house. I went after work when it was dark and started to look at it as the owner was talking to me. At some point in conversation he mentioned "the turbo bla bla bla" and I stepped back to realize that it was indeed an '83 Turbo ZX! I immediately opened the hood and confirmed this, then checked the odo which read 114k. He then said it came off the road because the brakes seized and the rust/rot was becoming a concern, but the engine ran perfectly. SOLD!

Sadly the rot on the floors and frame rails makes the car itself un-salvageable. I'm picking up the car this friday, moving my car outta the garage and the ZX in. I should have it completely parted out the same day and towed out the next day.

Hopefully I can have the engine refreshed, turbo rebuilt, injectors cleaned, and get a new clutch and R230 LSD (found out the custom driveshaft I bought with the Z32 tranny is designed for the R230, works for me). Since I planned on rebuilding the harness it should be easy to swap in the L28ET harness while I'm at it. I'll post pics of the part-out if I get time!

Took some pics of this week's mayhem. Wow this car was a rotbox! I definitely plan on thoroughly going through the engine now. Hopefully it won't need a full rebuild, just new gaskets and seals and a lot of cleaning. On to pics:

000_0797.jpg

Had to grease the flatbed truck to shimmy the car off because 3 of the 4 calipers were seized. Removed them and pulled the car in the garage.

000_0802.jpg

Tow hooks ripped clean off!

000_0804.jpg

Shoved my hand right through the license plate section there, lol

000_0810.jpg

Found these in the car. Not gonna be enough to fix this puppy!

000_0806.jpg

At least it had a mad tyte JDM y0 exhaust!

• 2 weeks later...

looks like we have a good build going on here... hopefully the motor is up to snuff!!!! i'm in the process of reringing an 81 turbo motor for my 77... I'm gonna use a 300zx ecu for now.... bigger turbo ported head etc..... but wanted to say you seem to be doing a nice job, that other motor, if you get all the other head bolts off... you may be able to slap some vise grips on it if theres a nub after you got the head off..... at any rate nice build....

• 2 weeks later...
looks like we have a good build going on here... hopefully the motor is up to snuff!!!! i'm in the process of reringing an 81 turbo motor for my 77... I'm gonna use a 300zx ecu for now.... bigger turbo ported head etc..... but wanted to say you seem to be doing a nice job, that other motor, if you get all the other head bolts off... you may be able to slap some vise grips on it if theres a nub after you got the head off..... at any rate nice build....

Thank you!

I tried the whole vise grips thing, but no luck so far. I'm going to try some other tricks, worst case scenario drilling it out and using a heli-coil if need-be.

Got the engine up on the stand and started taking it apart. I also picked up an R200 CLSD out of a Z31 turbo with 100k on it for a good price. I'm piecing together the other necessary parts to install the differential. So far I've spent more money on drivetrain parts than anything else! Never knew just how expensive it would be...

Thank you!

I tried the whole vise grips thing, but no luck so far. I'm going to try some other tricks, worst case scenario drilling it out and using a heli-coil if need-be.

Time and effort wise, take it to a machine shop and they can remove it or drill it out and helicoil it at their expense. (get this negotiated up front)

I've spent the time and effort on drilling a broken exhaust stud out of a head with a diamond tip barb($40) in a dremel with a wand and it's not fun. Let the experts spend their time on it. If it doesn't come out like they want it to, they have to fix the problem.

Unless your like me with very limited funds at the time, it's well worth the cost.

Nice build I just literally purchased an L28et with tranny for $50 bucks, I need to buy a wire harness and ecu now I gues. Would you happen to know of a swap guide thread thanks. good luck on the build man.

Search, search and search. I have spent many hours searching the boards here and learned a great deal. Fusible link swap, turbo swap/wiring, alternator swaps, there is so much here to be learned, if you just use that little button at the top of the page that says "search".

I'm a little confused. Did you sell off all your other L28ET stuff and buy this new car? Or do you have 2 L28ETs and you're gonna run one and build the other? Or, C) Other?

Option B. I have two L28ET's; the one I just got I'm going to clean up and place in the car mostly stock, and the other I am planning on building up slowly in my spare time, eventually to have a blow-through carbureted turbo setup...hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I dont know if you've already been over this (I didn't read pages 3-5), but what kind of power are you looking to get out of this engine?

Approximately 600bhp with a fully built engine and supporting turbo, cooling, fuel, induction and ignition systems. This is a long-term goal; I have no delusions that this will be done any time soon. For right now I am hoping for about 200whp with the stock turbo and fuel system.

wow, alot since page 2 has gone on.

two things, does AZC 240sx TB adapter make it so you dont have to bore out your intake manifold?

and are you going to use flat tops or the zxt dished pistons?

I think you still need to bore it to make full use of the larger TB. I will be using stock zxt pistons on the stock motor. As far as the built motor I will be most likely running 8:1 comp forged pistons.

Edited by MazterDizazter