HybridZ

240Z L28ET project

Daeron is right, you don't "need" injectors.

There's very little you "need" in order to get megasquirt running. The main thing is some sort of way to measure air. I think you can even get megaquirt to run on the stock AFM (not sure on that) but why?

You'll need either a MAF or MAP sensor and both have their pros and conds. One of the main upsides to a MAP based system is that vacuume leaks CAN NOT change you're fuel mixture. It also is metering air in the intake, so it tends to have a more instant measuring of how much air is actually making it into the chambers. MAF sensors are placed farther away needing more transient fuel changes. The upside to a MAF system though is that they're not limited to any PSI level at all. You can run infinate PSI on a MAF system and it's still gonna meter the air just fine. MAF sensors will only be good to X amount of air though, and as a general guidline engines produce X amount of HP for X amount of air, so it's common to see a MAF rated for X amount of HP (much like an intercooler). It's not hard to find a MAF that's supposed to be good to 500hp.

This is just my theory after study, NOT experiece, but I personally think that MAP systems are safer for turbo vehicles, as their responce is much more instantaneous to the driving conditions.

Another thing you might want since you're going to megasquirt, would be a different TPS. If you convert to the KA throttle there's a vertion that has both a throttle position switch and a throttle position sensor. The switch will work on the stock ECU, and the sensor will be better to use with megasquirt.

Tons of this info is availbe either on the megasquirt section here, or on the megasquirt groups out there on the net.

The stock injectors are good for quite a while though, unless your initial target is 300+hp. Otherwise I'd say stick with the stock injectors and see how they work for you.

Thanks for the advice guys! I never even thought that the AFM and TPS could be restrictive; I'll definitely look more into that. I was going to run the stock turbo and injectors but some of my injectors and clips were broken, and my stock turbo compressor wheel looked really chewed up, so I sorta got the "while I'm at it" bug. That and I have a .60 trim T3/T4 just sitting around doing nothing, and my friend talked me into running MSII because he could build and tune it for me, which sounded very appealing. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

As far as progress is concerned, I should be getting my tranny soon, and I will probably be ordering my carbon fiber driveshaft, AZC oil pan and radiator, clutch, and intercooler next week. That's gonna hurt the wallet big time!

Also, I secured myself a '76 EFI fuel tank (from AZ so there's no RUST...holy crap!). I'm really pumped because thus far the biggest worry of mine was the fuel tank, because I've been searching and I didn't think I could find the right year tank so I figured I'd have to pay big bucks to get mine modified, but that has been lifted from my shoulders.

I hate to burst your bubble, but from my experience, I don't think the 280Z tank swap is worth it. For one thing, it is not a direct bolt in. The filler neck, vent lines and straps are all different. The issues can all be dealt with, however, it's an added level of frustration that you may not be aware of.

But most importantly, this tank is not going to be the solution to fuel starvation issues in hard corners that you may hope that it will be. With an upgraded pump, I found that I was still experiencing fuel starvation in hard left corners with the tank only slightly below half full. The only difference between the 240Z and 280Z tank is a coke can sized shroud around the pick-up. That's fine for a 170 hp, NA car, but for high HP, turbo engines, I don't think that's enough capacity. I found this out the hard way after considerable expense and frustration at fitting the 280Z tank in my 240Z.

I ended up pulling the 280Z tank out and putting my old 240Z tank back in with a sump welded to the bottom. This has worked well for me so far, but I still get nervous when the tank starts to get low. Fuel starvation under boost could result in the death of the engine. The best and most reliable solution is a surge tank fed by a low pressure pump (covered in other posts on this forum). That's on my future to-do list.

Like I said, I hate to burst your bubble, but I'd hate to see you go through the trouble to install this tank and not have it work the way you expected, so I thought I'd share my experiences.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

I havent done it yet, but I was planning on taking my stock 280 tank, and using a spare L series oilpan (as long as the metals can be welded together) and building a nice, baffled sump either with a rear outlet or a significant downward slope if its a front outlet. I even had thoughts of utlizing the two LOW FUEL lights my Z has (probly a fluke from a PO) one in the main tank, and the other in the sump :lol:

You could also use a surge tank; plenty of info on how to put one of those togheter around here.

If you feel a need to replace the turbo, and have an upgrade, then yah.. i guess injectors ARE pretty much on the list.. I just wanted to make it clear that even bone stock components WILL run better on well tuned standalone EFI; especially with proper manifold setups.

OK, so I've been convinced to get a 20gal. fuel cell. There goes another $500 and weekend into the project... and I'll be shaving the fuel filler door (and while I'm at it the antenna) as a result. Which means the whole car's getting repainted, woohoo! I am definitely bitten by the "while I'm at it" bug.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another awesome update! I'm going to be picking up a Z32 transmission with bellhousing adapter, custom driveshaft, Fidanza shifter, and Nismo black satin shift knob for cheeeap! I should hopefully be getting that next week, and that'll totally jumpstart my build! I have finals this week, and after that I can get started on my engine, and ordering the Painless harness and Megasquirt II and other odds and ends

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to do it right (well, hopefully) and tear down and clean the engine internals, and spec out everything. It's getting there. Not much else is new; I'm still waiting on the transmission and I ordered a large core Treadstone intercooler.

Picture410.jpg

Picture411.jpg

Picture412.jpg

Yeah, I um, wedged a socket extension in there to try and get the crank pulley bolt free. Didn't know I could just use an impact gun.... Oh well, I wanted to replace the timing set anyways...

Actually, it's running out quickly. (I guess it's a good thing I'm single right now!) I need my tax returns to come in ASAP. I'm also selling parts from my defunct RX-7 project to buy parts for the Z.

I just dropped $725 on a full host of Autometer Phantom gauges, OUCH! Got the 200mph speedo, 10k rpm tach, and fuel level, oil pressure, water temp, and voltage gauges. They had better be perfect at that price.

I am doing a 73 240z swap also...Nice moving project. Let me know how that turbo works (is it chinese) and where are you getting an adapter for the Z32 transmission and what are you doing for the shifter?...I did'nt do a complete search yet...But just thought I would save hours on the computer.

Thanks