HybridZ

Any members rebuild standard trans?

GeeZ

There HAS to be a trans shop in Houston that can service that trans for you. Don't be afraid, get a service manual, tear it appart, take picutres and notes and put it back together. Just make sure you SEAT the retaining rings really well! :)

If you bring it up to Tulsa, I'll do it but I can't confirm how long it will take to get done.

How about somebody who rebuilds 5 speeds in the South Florida area? A shop that knows Zcar trannys, not just willing to give it a try, but really knows these things? Already had one done, and not real happy with the results. Shipping out of state gets real expensive real fast.

If you can get access to a hydraulic press and shop manual then you can easily do it yourself. I did a 77 5 speed 4-5 years ago with a kit I bought for about a hundred bucks. It included syncros and bearings.

On a another note I KNOW there is a good manual trans place down in south houston somewhere. I don't remember the name, but it was on telephone or mykawa or somewhere down near Hobby airport. I put everything together and then had them look over it to make sure I didn't totally screw something up since I was only 17 or so at the time.

Also there used to be a junkyard up just little bit north of 610 and east of 290 that had a bunch of Z's as well as some Z trannies that were already pulled that he was selling for $100 apiece. It was either on W 34 or Tidwell , but I'm not entirely sure since I haven't lived in Houston for about 5 years. You had to know what you were looking at though cuz none of them were labeled so it could be a bit tricky figuring out what year it was out of. I think I ended up getting a early zx 5-speed, but I'm not positive on that.

• 4 weeks later...

The mechanic that works on all my cars here in Fredericksburg has an employee that is rebuilding my 280zx 5 speed now. I originally had a transmission shop in Kerrville do it (prior to the local mechanic being hired) about a year ago and they did a poor job. The current mechanic found many things the transmission shop did poorly and seems very knowledgeable to me.

Doc's Auto

Fredericksburg, TX

830-997-0421

telephone has some junkyards too but that can be a rough area. I think there is a pick and pull off tidwell, I've gotten 2 from there 50 bucks a pop. (my friend picked them up so not positive on the location)

Ollie is a member on here and lives on the South side, maybe he knows the manual repair shop. I know of a good race shop up here on the NOrth side but they wanted like 600 bucks to do it. I laughed and haven't been back since.