HybridZ

volvo i6 swap 0_0

wherezmytofu

I've considered a potential volvo motor swap. I had heard that this swap had been done. They actually made this same inline 6 in a RWD version in the Volvo 960 without turbos. I'm curious if they dont just use an s80 t6 head bolted on a RWD NA inline 6 block. A transmission is an issue as well if you're looking for a manual. As you can see on that site, the manual they are using had to have an adaptor made. As far as I know the 960 was only offered with an automatic.

Not sure about huge power numbers as these are open deck design blocks so they'd have to be sleeved for big numbers . . .

I used to be a marine mechanic and spent plenty of time being amazed at how strong the basic volvo 4 cylinder is.

Speaking of marine 4 cylinders, mercruiser has a "470" which is a 3.7 liter 4 cylinder made from half of a ford 460.

Wow, now THAT sounds amazing...

...there goes my day at work...

• 1 year later...

Back from the dead! :)

Didn't feel like starting a new thread.

Just wondering if anyone had heard much about the "T6."

My roommate picked up a 2JZ for his MK III Supra today, and I was trying to find out when they stopped production on Toyota's Inline 6s.

I stumbled across an article about the Volvo XC60, it's got a 3.0L Turbo I6, did a google search and found the S80 has a transverse I6 with twin turbos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_S80

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xc60

Anyone heard much about the new 3.0 Litre motor? It's always cool to hear about new I6s.

I'm pretty sure it's a continuation of Volvo's "modular" 6's, that all the 5's and 4's are also part of. They're pretty decent engines with all aluminum construction, and an open deck. They're short for a 6 too, since they're designed for FWD use. The bore and stroke are nearly identical to the 7M, IIRC.

manta%20a%20met%20volvo%20turbo%2003.jpg

I have a Volvo T5R...its 240hp from the factory and it only pushes about 10-11psi. It seems to be a good motor from my experience. Supposedly the T5 motor can handle around 400hp on stock internals if its tuned properly, biggest issue is bent connecting rods.

Here's a quick Cylinder-deck info...

Realistically you can put motors into three classifications (with many variations and hybrids but let's keep this simple) of deck designs: Open, semi-open, and closed deck.

First off, a closed deck block is, as it says, closed at the top of the "deck" of the engine, there is a good bit of material at the top of the block that bridges the cylinders, across the top of the water jacket, to the outsides of the block. A common example of this is just about every American V8 engine

alumblk.jpg

An open deck block, conversely has no support between the top of the cylinders and the outside of the block, essentially the coolant jacket turns the cylinders into a bit of an island. Most Honda's are open deck design, along with the VQ35 and the QR25

b16278.jpg

Finally, the "semi-open" deck block is a bit of a hybrid of the two, with a mostly open deck and just a few pieces of casting running from the cylinder walls to the outside of the water jacket. The Mitsu 4B11T in the EvoX adopted this design to replace the 4B6x design.

block5.jpg

All of these designs have strengths and weaknesses. An open deck block cannot be die cast (the die has to come out somewhere) and that's why a majority of modern motors are open deck. Die cast blocks can be cast thinner than sand cast blocks and an open deck allows more coolant flow and more consistent cooling along the top of the block area. But because these are not reinforced at the top, high power and/or high RPM's can cause the top of the cylinders to move around or float in the top of the block.

A closed block offers more block support, and reduces the amount of movement the top of the cylinder can do. This is why many high horsepower Honda's an VQ's switch to sleeves that provide support to the top of the cylinder. Closed deck blocks are typically sand cast however, and thus heavier. The closed deck does restrict some coolant flow as well.

Here's what a sleeved block looks like...

honda-block-lg.jpg

Hope this helps

I thought sleeves were metal tubes that the pistons go up and down in, and block guards (or filling blocks) is the aftermarket option to bridging the gap on an open deck block.

exhibit a, block guard:

bloxracingblockguards.jpg

exhibit b, engine filler:

hnh-860228_w.jpg

exhibit c, sleeves:

Darton_Sleeves.jpg

exhibit d, sleeves with integrated block guards:

DAR-400-200.jpg

..and now back to the volvo I6 thread.

This is true. "dry sleeves" (exhibit c) are sleeves that have no coolant flowing around them. Exhibit D or "wet sleeves" actually contact the coolant jacket and in most cases usually contain some sort of block guard integrated, mostly because it wouldn't make sense to put sleeves in a motor and not put the block guard in it (from a financial stand point)

BACK to the topic at hand...

There is actually a pretty strong Volvo following, if you guys are interested check out SwedSpeed, there are some pretty nice cars there with a ton of B series Modular information.

http://www.swedespeed.com/

Edited by MAG58
added important information.

Another Deck/Bock term you'll hear now and then is "siamese block" vs "non-saimese" blocks. A siamese block is just one that has no coolant passages between the cylinder sleeves. Just as most hardcore drag racers won't want an open deck design, they'll also want a siamese design if they can, as it gives them more meat between cylinders.

I know it's not really a deck type, but it's just a note to think about when you'll looking at a deck and how it's designed.