HybridZ

Going Rate for Used Door Glass?

zmaster you kind of stole my thread:nono:...just kidding:biggrin:. It's okay, I share your confusion about door glass compatibility. But, as far as I understand it, there were three different (incompatible) door glass styles: one for the 240z, one for the early 260z, and one for the late 260z and 280z.

(See post#6 here: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=95244)

I've also heard that another issue some Z's run into is that at some point, a door was replaced with a door from a Z with a different glass style. So even though your Z might be a 280 for example, your door could be from a 240, so you would then need 240 door glass. (Ugh, so confusing.) So, the only way to be sure you get the right replacement glass is to measure everything up beforehand.

i have a pair in my 73 parts car, you can have them if you come and get them. i'm in rochester...

Thank you very much for your offer, it is very generous. I will check to see whether my doors are from a 280 or from a 240 and I will get back to you.

there were three different (incompatible) door glass styles: one for the 240z, one for the early 260z, and one for the late 260z and 280z.

I have personally seen that a 75 280 window is not interchangable with a 78 280 window.So there must actually be at least 2 different windows just in the 280 line.

I just checked victoria british and motorsport auto to be sure. (Vic Brit's website wouldn't display that page of the catalog, or I would have made an image to lay this to rest permanently.)

This all applies SOLELY to 2-seaters; to the best of my knowledge the 2+2 was the same but DO NOT quote me on that.

The 77&78 doors were wholly different from every other S30 door; hence, the entire window was also different.

The 260 and 280 (thru 76) windows were all the same; the 240 windows apparently were different, and I do not think you can swap parts, altho the doors themselves can be exchanged. So, the short version on the window hardware is, "240 type," "260-early 280 type," and "late 280 type."

I want to say that the glass from a 240 may well work on any of the early style doors... it *might* require re-mounting the glass into a "later" piece of metal to put a 240 glass into a 75 280 window regulator, but I think I have heard tell of this before.

Just wondering what the average price for door glass (one side) is. Thanks in advance for any replies!

I paid $45 for two complete doors. At first I was just wanting the glass because my glass was scratched. I wound up with two perfect doors that I will use to replace my existing doors. If you make some connections, I'm sure you can find some glass cheap. A couple of guys are parting cars on the forum. Ask them.

I want to say that the glass from a 240 may well work on any of the early style doors... it *might* require re-mounting the glass into a "later" piece of metal to put a 240 glass into a 75 280 window regulator, but I think I have heard tell of this before.
That maybe true,i do remember that with the windows i worked with were not even interchangable in that way,i think the later 78 280 window has a larger area of glass at the bottom than the 75 and is not linear at the bottom.