HybridZ

installed a new engine in the 66 roadster

wow, nice. i wanted a roadster but heard that they lack the power to enjoy the drive and ride. Do anything to the motor? and what are your thoughts on this?

Your car is in AMAZING condition.

The U20 powered roadsters were actually quite powerful. Compares to a 240z... And weighs 400+ pounds less than a Z.

this 1600 is not a rocket. they never were. but with thats said, i enjoy the hell out of driving it around. there are a ton of engines people swap into them to make them rockets . if you want a rocket, a roadster might not be your best choice. i just love the fact that its all original and runs and drives so dang good. thats why i installed a new 1600 stock engine. i have race cars and i didnt need another. it is what it is and for a specialty purpose car it is perfect.

would i want to drive it as a daily driver? probably not. here in phx the no a/c is all the answer i need ...lol

it drives just how you would hope it would from looking at it. its just a fun little cute car...lol

Psh, I've never had an AC in ANY car i've drove/ridden in.

I always road around in my dad's 66 impala, 66 bug (race car) or 68 ghia.

NONE had ac's and I didn't care.

I had a 62 bug with no ac, and a 1990 bronco with no ac (in nc though, but I chose not to use the A/C)

now I have my Z, and I drove it around for quite a bit while I was getting it running with no ac, and I don't mind haha.

But maybe I'm just too used to not having an ac that I dont' care anymore.

VERY nice roadster btw.

A thing of beauty is a joy, forever. That is a well dressed little engine, there.

The 1600 is no drag racer, but it is at least as fun to drive as a stock miata.

One might say its just about a ton of fun..... plus it feels like youre driving an antique down the road, about ten times more than it does in a 70 240Z.

Gary, do you have any good interior pics to illustrate my point about the antique feel?

Not to mention the fact that it is just like any other internal combustion engine.. if you put solexes on it, high compression pistons, the right camshaft and valvetrain.. suddenly you're dealing with some serious horses. I don't want to quote butt-dyno numbers, but the car CAN be quite potent.

That is a very nice Roadster! You don't see very nice ones like yours often. A friend of mine is booked for a couple years doing SR conversions to Roadsters, having also done an SR20DET. I have a couple friends with them, one has a built L20B and is replacing the SUs for EFI. The other has a "Hybrid" with an SR20, Miata seats, etc, which has with a true 160 HP (stock) and gets 32 mpg at 85 mph.

1-JasonRoadster1.jpg

1-JasonRoadster2.jpg

For those who don't know, the handle on the inside, to open the door, is that little chrome thingy underneath the "winglet" window... there is a small metal pull handle at the bottom for closing the door, but the latch is up high.

Also, when a customer ordered one of these with air conditioning, it was installed with lines running to the trunk, and there was a small air handler box that went back there, along with the condensor coil, that went where his speaker/stereo box are.

Am I crazy, or weren't those "third light" reflectors at the top of the fender a later addition? I LOVE the polished Libra mags, though, I bet those cost a pretty penny ;)

Nice SR SRL311, too