HybridZ

LAZY/broken shift keys RANT! Does this apply to you? Lets clean it up, please?

BRAAP

The phenomenon that made AOL the repository of HAY YOU GUYS (L)users has now branched out into the rest of the world. Cheap, easy access to the web has brought it out of the realm of exclusivity for the tech-savvy and 'geeky' and into common use for pretty much everyone. A person used to have to know a bit about computers and be somewhat a cut above the general population to get around on the web. The expense of having a web-capable piece of technology also prevented a lot of people from browsing the web. Now just about anyone can hop on a computer and go invade forums like ours. Cheap computers, cheap access, and web-capable devices are everywhere, as are their less than professional or courteous (L)users.

If people have trouble with their shift key, they probably have trouble with their turn signal and checking over their shoulder before changing lanes...it's the same mentality. It's right at their fingertips, but they can't be bothered to use it, because it's not important to them and people that their behavior offends(or in the case of the turn signal, endangers) aren't important to them, either. From their point of view, we grammar nazis are just too uptight and need to chill out...from our point of view, they're lazy twits. While both sides are probably right to a considerable extent, it holds regardless that typing in a manner that is legible and easy to read is more conducive to getting one's point across. Don't expect people to expend the extra effort to understand shorthand or your lack of effort in using the resources at your disposal to correct your grammar and spelling.

RANT: You know what annoys me the most? pEopLe whO tYpe As iF theY'vE Got aN iNtERmiTtenT sHoRt iN tHieR sHiFt kEy. Do you have any idea how much effort it takes to type like that? You're honestly going to expend the effort to put in random capitalization because it 'looks cool' and 'that's the way you roll' when it's discourteous and annoying to others, and would take LESS effort on your part to simply type properly? GET OUT.

I've Also Seen People Type Like This. I Appreciate Your Effort, But You Don't Need To Use Your Shift Key That Much. Again, your overexertion is making it difficult for people to communicate with you.

Lastly, learn how to properly use a !@#$% apostrophe! It's not that difficult!

apostropheposter.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
Guest gold83zx

Poor spelling has always been a pet peeve of mine. It would be great if people would spell check if they aren't sure of their post contents.

Brian

Thank god for your post - if you guys want to feel better about HybridZ, just hop over to www.e46fanatics.com for a dose of "mall rats" and bad grammar. That's what I have to put up with for my other car.

"Breaks"...."Definately"..."ne1"...those are some of my favorites.

So nice to have real English written here - I feel like I'm among real adults :)

• 4 months later...

This thread reminds me of my english classes all over again, except it's actually entertaining, this time around. I seem to have a tendency to type too fast and screw up spelling too, or just type a completely wrong letter by reflex, or two of the same letter when I shouldn't, but at least I try to correct it before posting. Windows Live Messenger is to blame for that.

• 1 month later...
Thanks Ron, I feel so much better now that I've done my penance. :)

I've learned my lesson, I'll never post in one of these threads again, those reading the thread are extra sensitive to spelling and grammar errors. :)

Wheelman

Back in the Dark Ages before the magic of DOS, my form letters would refer to an enclosed "Self Addressed Envelope" enclosed with my monthly statement. The undercover Grammar Police, posing as two of my clients, sent me rude, inconsiderate, and downright nasty letters suggesting that envelopes are inanimate objects and have no ability to "self address" themselves. The proper phrase being "pre-addressed" and "pre-franked" envelopes. They not only questioned my education, but suggested that my IQ number was probably in the high two figures. I was shocked. Yes, I was also hurt. I changed the form letters. I also became very aware of spelling and grammar: something I thought I escaped when I graduated from high school.

I really appreciate the generally high level of communication skills I see on this site.

g

g

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder what the spelling and grammar would be like if D&D on command line MS_DOS was still the "in" game... try TXT spk, or AOL tlk in there and you got a "What? i could not understand your request" prompt...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My personal view on bad typing/text...

Im glad I didn't have to deal with people talking like that when I was in High School or even before. Suppose I was one of the lucky ones. In this day and age its pretty pathetic, my personal view: Its slowly turning into a 3rd world Country on a dusty road with no end in sight.

Hope for the best and expect the worst.