HybridZ

mikuni hsr45?

clsatt

• 2 weeks later...

A more direct link is:

http://www.v-performance.com/recent.html#mikuni

This is not a kit designed for the Z cars. The carb to manifold adapters in the kit may not even work with the Z car intake manifold. The spacing between the carbs may also be different, so the linkage bar in the kit may not work. Too many unknowns and expensive to correct. And you would still have to convert the Z car accelerator pedal to operate a cable. Also, the 240Z SU carbs had a throat diameter of 46mm and these particular motorcycle carbs are 45mm. However, Mikuni does make a 48mm HSR carb.

The 50mm SU carbs (used on the Jaguars) would be an easier upgrade to make, IMO.

• 2 months later...

I already talked to the guy about it for Z cars but he would have to design something and asked for me to send him some stuff which I didn't have the time or money for in my build. He basically said look to see upwards of $1800 for 6 carb setup.

... He basically said look to see upwards of $1800 for 6 carb setup.

That’s ridiculous…Someone wants to get his tooling costs paid for ASAP. You can still get new triple Webers with manifold and linkage for less than that!

Well each of those carbs is like $200-$250 new. You can get used for like $100-$150 but the jetting may be different for each one so they won't match. He said he would need the6 barrel mani that triple carbs/itb's use, which makes sense but I didn't have one of those at the time. I told him I didn't want to go over $1600 (thinking I was going to get 45mm Webers but wound up getting 40's) and he said think more like $1800+ depending on how difficult it is to link and sync them all. Maybe because of intake ports 3-4 are spaced far apart, I don't know.

Personally the bang for buck is just too high. As stated you can get new carb set up for about that, cheaper for used stuff which if unbroken and in good working order will operate the same as new stuff (the bodies don't wear out just the wear parts). Also the troulbe to convert maybe too much trouble when you look at the easy of bolting on a set up designed for the L-series head. Moreover the Mikuni web site list the pilot jet really small like max of 35. Unsure if that would do it or not.

Looks to me like Two of the 48's will support 240HP...that's pretty stout. Who here makes more than that? Realistically the 48's are more than enough for a direct replacement for SU's...just as they are designed to be!

Setting them up on SU manifold should be a pretty easy setup. You guys want everything handed to you? Jeez!

• 12 years later...

I decided to try my own setup with 6 HSR45 Mikunis. I had previously run Weber 45's.  I used the original linkage so that I could return to the Webers if I wasn't happy with Mikunis.  Because of the shape of my extracters I had to add some extensions as The bowl of carb 4 was hitting the exhaust.  Apart from that it was pretty straight forward with the carbs being quite straight forward to tune. The throttle response is very good and although I wasn't looking for it the mpg is much improved over the Webers.

2019-01-26 16.41.56-1-1.jpg

2019-01-26 16.38.03.jpg