HybridZ

Anyone seen this S30DETT before?

The Woj

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I don't hang around this section of the forum all too often. I took these pictures in December last year at a Motor-for-Toys" event. The car had a license plate frame from one of the bigger Z-shops, if I remember correctly.

1001486dc5.th.jpg1001487sh5.th.jpg

Unfortunately, my Z is a jackstand racer so I had to ride shotgun in a Ferrari 360:

1001480fg0.th.jpg

As part of the penis-parade to the event:

1001477av5.th.jpg

Rode in a Ferrari 360?!?! COOL! ave.gif

Oh, please tell us how intoxicating is that single plane crank V-8 exhaust note?… sbav.gif

It's pretty nice, my dad always wanted a Ferrari and he's definitely not babying his first one. It is actually his daily driver. I got a ride to and from the airport in it, and have gone with him to the market in it.

He actually tried to teach me stick in it and I stalled it three times and eventually got the computer to go into lockdown as it was overheating.

I know I'm gonna catch some flak for this comment (especially on this board), but after trying to learn on the 360 I am still firmly under the impression that the work vs. benefits of a manual transmission are not worth it. To each their own, eh?

It's pretty nice, my dad always wanted a Ferrari and he's definitely not babying his first one. It is actually his daily driver. I got a ride to and from the airport in it, and have gone with him to the market in it.

He actually tried to teach me stick in it and I stalled it three times and eventually got the computer to go into lockdown as it was overheating.

I know I'm gonna catch some flak for this comment (especially on this board), but after trying to learn on the 360 I am still firmly under the impression that the work vs. benefits of a manual transmission are not worth it. To each their own, eh?

Hmmm... I'm trying to think of a worse car to learn how to drive a stick on... there aren't many. Until you drive a manual transmission you really don't get the complete experience of driving. When I drive my daily car(auto), I find myself going for the clutch with my left foot and reaching for the shifter with my right hand.

I do the same thing driving my mom's car. I try to hit the clutch and I'm like, "oh....it's gone" I also have the habit of keeping my right hand on the shifter in her car, and auto and I look at it and thing, "Stupid thing only goes forwards and backwards...."

Auto's are no fun, but learning in a 360 might not be a good idea. I think the easiest car to learn a stick in, is in an OLD vw bug. That's what I learned in. those cars seem to be very forgiving.

I think the easiest car to learn a stick in, is in an OLD vw bug. That's what I learned in. those cars seem to be very forgiving.

Yeah, my dad said the same thing. Problem is finding one without actually going out and buying one.

A friend offered to teach me on his Honda for a ride in the Ferrari.

Excuse me for saying this, but my 87 turbo has to be the easiest 5spd i've ever driven.

I've tried a friends Honda Civic, stalled.

I've tried my room mates Sentra GXE. stallllllled.

I've driven for a lengthy period, my friend's Corolla GTS, never stalled, but i was buckin' here and there.

Got my 87 Turbo, drove it the weekend later around the block about 10 - 12 times. Not a single hiccup.

I think I don't like the fact that you gotta keep the revs up on a smaller engine to mate the clutch smoothly.

That's just me.

The S30DETT looks wicked, and I love the 360 too :D

It's not just about the size of the engine, nor power output, hence why you can stall a ferarri...

Engine inertia, clutch strength, car weight, tire compound, road surface all have an influence on how you need to treat the initial 1st gear pull away.

A motor with no rotating mass nees more RPM to get the weight of the car rolling, and a strong clutch is gonna mean you'll need to feather the clutch even more. And if the engine's rotating mass is extremely light and you have a super sensetive clutch then you usually end up either with a dead engine or wheel spin.

Learning in a ferarri would probably require no fear of sliding the tires to get going. Without the basic feel of what driving a manual is like the reaction of the clutch would be very intimidating. I've driven more manuals than I can remember but there's no way the ferarri wouldn't scare me.

one of the best ways to pull off smoothly is to first leave the ebrake up and pull out the clutch slowly. once the rearend (if rwd) starts to sink or once the car starts to try to move, push the clutch back in. you've just found the engagement point. from there practice makes perfect. theres no reason to be scared of any manual. just my .02