HybridZ

Will this Sus. combo be better than the JDMwerks stuff?

I really need to upgrade the suspension for the Hallet events here. I was like one click away from buying the shock and spring setup off of ebay, then I remembered reading all the bad mouthing about the progressive springs in front. "Good" for a street application, but not so good on the track. And the lowering of about 2ins. is going to make my lower valance(sp?) rub the road as I drive.

Well I have been throughly reading each thread about said set up (tokicos) and I then went and tried to make my own combo. I really don't care about it lowering the car too much, but I just want something I can drive to Hallet, track it, then drive home.

Here are the springs:

http://www.arizonazcar.com/springs.html

And then I'll just buy the Illuminas:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PSDC02C

Total price: $500 + Shipping.

Anyone running this set up? And am I going to have to cut the spacers off the bottoms if I buy from MSA???

Any help is appriciated,

Thanks,

SrA Brandon Wilson

If you want to lower your car more than 2'' and have a proper amount of shock travel left your going to have to section your struts. This is really important if your going to drive you car on the street and also if your going to track it once in a while. There's lots of info here about sectioning and shortening struts if you search through the archives.

If you don't want to go that route, the illumina's you linked will do fine with the AZ car coil overs if you dont bottom the shock out as they are the stock length.

IMO there really isn't a point in getting adj. coil overs when paired with a strut that is the stock lenth becuase your very limited to how much you can lower the car properly. Another option might be getting some lowering springs instead of coil overs.

If you want to lower your car more than 2'' and have a proper amount of shock travel left your going to have to section your struts.

I don't want my car any lower than stock, maybe 1in. at MAX. I also don't want to spend more than like $600 total, cause I need most of my money for the turbo motor, and the re-wire.

Like I said, I'm looking for something that I can drive to the track, race, then drive home. Also, this is my daily for right now.

I don't want my car any lower than stock, maybe 1in. at MAX. I also don't want to spend more than like $600 total, cause I need most of my money for the turbo motor, and the re-wire.

Like I said, I'm looking for something that I can drive to the track, race, then drive home. Also, this is my daily for right now.

I think the combo you mentioned will be fine. A lot of people here run illuminas for dual purpose and like them.

• 5 weeks later...

I hate to bring up a some what finished thread... but am I going to have to cut the spacers off the bottom of the rear shocks (3016's) if I am using those springs? I keep trying to read deeper into these shocks, and I'm driving myself insane...

So I guess the question is, if I'm not planning on lowering my car any, do I need to cut the spacers???

I want a 100%, bet my car on it answer. Preferably.

Thanks.

You do not need to cut any spacers unless you cut and shorten the strut housings.

So with stock length strut housings, leave the strut inserts as-is.

If you do cut them the strut inserts will bounce up and down in the housing and rip themselves apart.

If you mean the rubber bump stops...you can shorten them to gain a little extra travel.