HybridZ

Old school tubo setup RayJay on e-Bay

ArnZ

I've considered doing that - using the na manifold, that is. However, if I go with the L28 instead of an engine swap, I may get a MSA 3-2 header and use that for a similar setup.

I would be wary of putting any backpressure on a thin mild steel tubular header like the MSA ones.... The stock cast manifold can withstand plenty of back pressure(turbo) though with no worries.

I've considered the heat and pressure but I think it would fun to test it out and be one of those surprises. I'm thinking 3-2 to twin scroll turbo and, as far as I understand, the header is correctly set up for a twin scroll turbo (ie alternating pulses)

as far as I understand, the header is correctly set up for a twin scroll turbo (ie alternating pulses)

But understand that the N/A headers(most of them) have grossly different tube lengths.

My L6 square port header tubes range from around 20" to about 27" IIRC.

Sure it sounds cool but...yeah.

I was wondering what psi... If anyone has ever put a pressure guage on a turbo manifold.

I think it has been done...one of teh 500HP+ L6 guys was saying how his exhaust pressure was lower than the intake pressure at high RPMs...

But for most of us with a "normal" turbo the pre-turbine pressure should be higher than the output from the cold side of the turbo.

Think about it, if your turbo has a higher pressure on the intake side wouldn't it normally spin the turbo backwards? AKA surge?

I have a feeling that the guys that see lower pressures on the exhaust side see it because of the excess amount of heat being put into the turbo at high RPM/pressure ranges.

That way more heat is being turned into energy to spin the turbo than just wind spinning a fan.

That is just my limited view though and don't count on it.

I don't see the wastegate.

Seeing as how I've seen this kit first hand (and have the turbo sitting next to me) I know it comes with an external gate.

Without it I don't think the turbo will reach the intake manifold.

Mario

I don't see what the wastegate has to do with the intake manifold. Usually you don't want the wastegate and intake manifold to intereact. :lol:

Could that Rayjay have an internal gate?

I don't see what the wastegate has to do with the intake manifold. Usually you don't want the wastegate and intake manifold to intereact. :lol:

Could that Rayjay have an internal gate?

My camera is dead so I can't take pictures of it, but basically the wastegate is about an inch thick with a T4 bolt pattern on it. It slips onto the exhaust manifold first, followed by the turbo.

The turbo then connects directly to the intake manifold using a coupler.

Without the wastegate the turbo is going to be about an inch short, and will probably put out something like 25 psi.

Mario

My camera is dead so I can't take pictures of it, but basically the wastegate is about an inch thick with a T4 bolt pattern on it. It slips onto the exhaust manifold first, followed by the turbo.

The turbo then connects directly to the intake manifold using a coupler.

Without the wastegate the turbo is going to be about an inch short, and will probably put out something like 25 psi.

Mario

Ahh, you're talking about a wastegate adaptor.