HybridZ

Metal on transmission drain plug

Derek

I'm changing the lube in my manual trans and this is what I found

DSC_0005.jpg

Is my transmission angry? This can't be normal can it?

It's got a noisy bearing so I think I see an upgrade in my future.

Any thoughts

Derek

That is not that bad. It's when you start pulling out chunks is when you need to pull it apart. Metal shavings are normal. Its just wear. It also depends on how long it has been since you last checked it too. If it has only been a couple days since you checked it last, then yeah, you have problems.

Thanks for the words of encouragement but that cylindrical shape in the foreground turned out to be a needle bearing. It was also a quart and a half low on gear lube. I threw in some new gear lube and I'll drive it for a while like it is. I don't plan on rebuilding it so I'm not worried about doing any damage to the tranny. Now I have to figure out what direction to go for a transmission replacement.

Derek

thats a good way to go but honestly its over kill for derek. he is staying NA. i do think i should walk you through the 240sx swap. its a piece of cake for someone like you. start looking for a good quality 240sx transmission. if you have an extra bellhousing laying around we can do the swap in an afternoon. well i guess you will need to have another drive shaft ready that has been shortened ready also. but we can do it real easy like. lol hit me up sometime if your interested

Yes I'm just an old "normally aspirated' kind of guy!

Well I was going to call you today and get the lowdown on what my options are. I have an extra drive shaft and 4 speed transmission so I could have all of the machine work prepped beforehand. I can fit the drive shaft in the big lathe but I'll probably sub it out to a local shop.

I really just want to drive it a little bit before I go swapping out a tranny.

Derek

thats a good way to go but honestly its over kill for derek. he is staying NA. i do think i should walk you through the 240sx swap. its a piece of cake for someone like you. start looking for a good quality 240sx transmission. if you have an extra bellhousing laying around we can do the swap in an afternoon. well i guess you will need to have another drive shaft ready that has been shortened ready also. but we can do it real easy like. lol hit me up sometime if your interested