HybridZ

I think my "ahem" Z's rear should look like this!

G.I.jonas

I'm thinking that this may be a cool and different direction to go with my car-something that i have been in turmoil over for some time.What do you guys think? Looks like a match made in zland.Now....where do i find Miura jato taillights???

My inspiration:

627203.jpg

Semi current state of things:

146.jpg

i think some old datsun [or other import] trucks have taillights that look similar.
Actually good point,i always make things too complicated for myself!

*Edit: hey i guess they can be had,wish i had the money for a random thought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fiat-Dino-Lamborghini-Miura-tail-light_W0QQitemZ180225944715QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180225944715

I don't know. The FIRST thing my eye does is head immediately toward the rest of the car, and not on the tail. I love the way the Z looks, but it can't compare to the rest of this car. I'm afraid this rear look will get lost in the translation, but who knows?

Im really not sure about the big gaping mouth and the quad pipes but the overall shape of the rear is very much like my rear now.Im really not a big fan of the stock z taillight,especially on my car after doing what i have to it :-).

My basic concern is what to do with the abomination that my rear has becom,ive already decided to totaly remove the rear sheet steel that i welded in place as well as the original panel.So basically what im looking for is rear panel design and taillights.

I must say that the taillights on that car have got my liking and i think they will fit my car great-provided i make an appropriate rear panel to suit them IE something that allows them to go all the way over to the outside(where my ugly sheet metal fillers are now).

To get the full effect, you've started off on the right foot. Widening the Z rear is essential for this effect. The added width needs to encorporate the lights into the new additional space outside the OEM lights to take full advantage of the widened rear. A very short (if none at all) spoiler will help this as well, and any horizontally oriented sculturing or lines.

Yeah,i like the subtle little up curve on the back of that car (not sure i would call it a spoiler) and im thinking something like that.Also considering using the space between the lights for some sort of horizontal fins or mesh,sort of like what a testarossa or vector has going on.oh i dont know to many options when being creative.If i could bring myself to do it i would copy your rear end to the best of my ability Terry:-).Unfortunately i have some time to think until i have money again :-(

http://www.supercars.net/Pics?v=y&s=c&id=604&p=1992_Ferrari_512TR2.jpg

Unfortunately i have some time to think until i have money again

This is not unfortunate! The best design is one that you've had time to mull over, and NOT the one that comes to mind and is immediately implemented because the funds are available. If it were not for the lack of funds when I started on my Z, it would not look like it does now. Consider yourself luck in a sense.

That look isn't my cup of tea, but whatever floats your boat. Tell the truth, I've seen pics of lots of custom rear ends and they never strike me as much better than the stock look. The only thing that makes much of a difference is some big ole meaty tires and, in some cases, tasteful flares. Oh yeah, and a nice spoiler. And let's not forget those LED lights a member sells. And...and...and...now it looks like your Lambo..haha.

This is not unfortunate! The best design is one that you've had time to mull over, and NOT the one that comes to mind and is immediately implemented because the funds are available. If it were not for the lack of funds when I started on my Z, it would not look like it does now. Consider yourself luck in a sense.

Pardon me while I "chime in" again.:wc:

Absolutely right Terry. Good thinking always takes time (especially for us slow thinkers). It's been two years since I decided to redux my front end. If I had gone with my first idea it would have been a horror story. My second and my third ideas weren't much better. Thank God I didn't have any money then. Remember, sometimes the rear end of a sexy dream car looks good because it's on a sexy dream car. Copying that rear end is not going to turn your Z into a Mura. The design must compliment the entire car. So think, think, think. Do enough of this and you really begin to appreciate how tough a car designers job is. If you want to learn about good car design read anything by Robert Cumberford. This guy has been doing it for fifty years. Now that's a lot of thinkin'.

Nicely said, and...

Pardon me while I "chime in" again.

Dan, I couldn't help myself, really...I thought it over for a few seconds, and said, heck with it and pushed the enter key, and then laughed longer than I thought about it. :D

How tall are the tail lights on that car? I think part of the appeal is the small area height wise, which makes the lights seem wider then they really are.

I don't know that you want to do a large mouth like opening at the bottom but is there something you could do to accent that empty space? Just noticed terry's car has vents there.

Evan