HybridZ

It's official Chevy 4.2ltr into a 70 Z Car! Need help Guys!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Alex!!!!!!!!!!! I may be heading up to Dothan Sunday as a Matter of Fact! Wiregrass Region Auto Cross is Sunday! Buddy!!!!!!! Keep your Head down and Ya Wits about ya in the Desert!

Dry Sump? It is so tall it may have to be Dry sumped, I have it sitting in the Car Now with no Front Suspensoion in the way, and to get the Oil Filler Cap to Clear the Hood it only leaves the Oil Pan 3" off the Ground! Leaning it either way creates an even worse problem. Honestly I have only been playing with it 6 hrs today, so I'm sure some other solutions will Come.

If the Front Sump is retained it will have to use a Different Rack and use the Thru Hole in the Pan, this means switching the spindles from Right to left so the Rack is behind the center line of the Cross menber.

Cross member? May very well become like most Modern Day Bikes where the Engine is a Stressed Member of the Chassis!

Even though it's a Chevy power plant, I hate the idea of having to use a Cowl Unduction Hood! :)

Dark Now! Will post some Pics tomorrow of the Ground Clearance and the Hood Clearance!

Kevin

The Line on the Oil Pan Represents the Bottom of the Stock Z X-member. To get the Engine Down to Clear the Hood and trans tunnel it's sitting in the chassis were it needs to sit. This is one TALL SOB!

l_e84fab17f9314fc1904f5582d9bd3b71.jpg

Here's what I intend to do with the Pan. I may either Graft a Greddy SR20 Expanded Capacity pan to the Front or to the Back of the Stock Pan, and use -20AN fittings and Hose to loop or connect the front and rear sections of the Pan. The loop may or may not need to be incorporated as the fill line is above the half Moon Notch where the Rear Steer Rack will now be Located!

Kevin

l_327b7c42a27e43818d1c2602d0efbeab.jpg

Just looking at the I5 pan it doesn't look that much shorter than a I6, plus the cost of more pans and the modifing both of them, seems modifing the stock pan to be the Best option to me!

A full 3" has to come out of the height of make it the same height as the lower x-member, New X-member is will be 2 " below that, I will retain the same suspension location points, unless someone here who has lots of Z Race Car Suspension tuning has a good reason to move them? Bump Steer?

Kevin

I will retain the same suspension location points, unless someone here who has lots of Z Race Car Suspension tuning has a good reason to move them? Bump Steer?

Kevin

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Ride height

Camber gain

Anti-dive

Caster

Ackerman

bump steer

all of these change or could be changed to improve handling on a race car.

I don't see why it would'nt fit there as well, the major issue is the depth of the Pan and the Height of the Manifold, which both can be reduced!

It would be a slick set-up in my opinion!

Talking with Marc on Trailvoy now, he is building a BEAST of a 4200 with new liners, forged Pistons, and Rods. He has a honking Turbo on a stock block at 9psi now!

Kevin

Lime:

Yes by all means Please do! Can you PM me all the Specifics of it? Clutch type, pressure plate that goes with it?

Do you reuse the Stock Flex plate Ring Gear?

Thanks!

Kevin

Kevin, I'll have access to the CMM tomorrow, I'll get started then. It's setup for the stock 3.5/3.7 clutch. I'd recommend getting a 2009 H3 clutch as it is bigger than the others. Jerry said that it's also drilled for another clutch, but I didn't remember which, because I only care about the first part.

I'm not sure what you'll need to do about the ring gear. I assume press on the stock gear or a 3.5/3.7 gear.

Good Deal! You can send me the .stp or igs File to the Extrudabody Tech email address! It probably uses the 3.7 gear I would guess, will see when I get the files from you!

Bell Housing should be in by Friday and allow me to work on the Fitment this weekend.

A little Update, I'm looking at moving the Firewall back 5", and setting the whole engine behind the stock x-member. This seems to be the easiest way and the best to as far as weight is concerned. The pan has to be seriously Messaged to get that done.

Kevin

Well I am waiting on a Bell Housing, hope to have it here by Friday! Redoing the Suspension on the front completely is needless, when you need the engine back and down any way!

The Pan will be a Rear Sump Modified stock Pan which is cut at the Line you see in the pictures, rear sump is added Via a 8" ID Aluminum Tube welded at the back.

Kevin