HybridZ

It's official Chevy 4.2ltr into a 70 Z Car! Need help Guys!

Looking at the pics of the I6, how much easier would it be to fit the I5 version? Looks like the biggest problem is the oilpan and the overall height of the motor.

These engines are so affordable, if they are swapable I just might take the plunge and and get a Z to put one into. LSx's are so spendy, especially the manual transmissions, similiar problem with SBC's plus their stock EFI limitations.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hay guys ! this is my first post here. i joined just because of this thread. and had to chime in. .... so how about using the subframe from a solstace or view,or maybe a vette. i know they are cast alluminum and you could posision it forward or back an inch or so. you would prolly hafto still cut the stock oil pan up but it may give you some room to play and its got the power rac and pinion bolted on alredy. just my 2 cents

i was even thinking of using the corvette rear transaxle and shortening the torque tube betwine the engine and trans,to give better weight distrabution. if your willing to modify the firewall that much you might as well do the rear suspesion also. then you might be able to use the corvette rear and front suspension too.

Wikipedia say it came in a 3.5l from 04-06 making 220hp 225 torque and in 07-08 it came with a 3.7l making 242hp and 242 torque. I wonder how much shorter it is.

Should be about 4" shorter, which could make all the difference in the world. Plus it already comes with the rear sump pan.

An I5 just isn't as cool as an I6, though. I6s are perfectly balanced, sound great, and retain the spirit of the original car. I5s ... don't.

hay guys ! this is my first post here. i joined just because of this thread. and had to chime in. .... so how about using the subframe from a solstace or view,or maybe a vette. i know they are cast alluminum and you could posision it forward or back an inch or so. you would prolly hafto still cut the stock oil pan up but it may give you some room to play and its got the power rac and pinion bolted on alredy. just my 2 cents

Interesting thought, but I think it would fall well out of most people budgets.

Hey Terry, that was one of my first thoughts, as I have swapped a Porsche 944 Aluminum X-member into a 510 in the past.

Loking real quick on Fleebay they had 2 complete L/R front suspensions for the Solstice at $700 for the Pair, they were all Aluinum it looked like, and would reduce sprung weight! Looks like to me it has a steel bar running across the front of the engine bay, with the 4 cylinder being much shorter of course.

I5 makes better sense for sure, but I like the potential of the I6! The i5 in the 3.7ltr is the way to go honestly which is about 3 to 4 inches shorter and would fit nicely behind the x-member!

Vetter rear Transmission, trust me I looked at it! :)

Thanks for all the input guys!

Kevin

The engine does not fit well into a fox mustang k-frame. The i-5 might. I wouldn't want an i-5 though. Giving up too many cubes on and engine that already doesn't have a lot. Also giving up 1 near 300cfm intake port would be a shame. I also don't know if the head on the i-5 is as good as the on on the 4.2. I recently got to look at a torn down 4.2 head right next to a torn down ecotec head (I think it was 2.4, can't remember). The similarities are striking. They share camshaft size, the rockers are exactly the same, the valves are longer in the 4.2 by about 1/4 inch but the stems were the same diameter. I started to get excited about an ecotec for just a second, then I saw that the intake and exhaust posts were much smaller than the 4.2. Ecotecs are built like a brick "poop"-house though.

I have to agree with you on those 2.4 Ecotec's, we have one running in Indiana on a SPRINT Midget with Mechanical Injection that's HOT!

The 2.9ltr I4 in a 510 sure is appealing at this point! Turbo to Boot? Man that would be Sick and Weight would be great as well with the Aluminum Block! Hell N/A with ITB's would be more than you could get to the Ground!

Kevin

LOL ....... so true there are ALOT of them out there...... but the thing is to get an 06+ head and PCM. but thats only half the battle getting it to fit...... thats the challange!

and there is a bigger market for the I5...... it has supercharger and turbo kits...... maybe a little modding and we can get them to work!

Not to worried about the PCM, by the time I have the 242Z ready to run Extrudabody will have it's own ECU that can control the VVT, and any other specifics about this engine. Currently the ECU has passed the EURO 1, 2, 3, and emissions drive cycle tests. It will do Boost control, coolant Gauge control, tach output, has OBD Port, VVT Control, Fan Control, Limp home Mode, and does Staged injection, it can actually control 2 seperate completely independent fuel systems and switch back and forth between the 2 and the driver doesn't even know it did it!

Life is GOOD! :)

Kevin

Here's the eventual Goal: The Caption says it all...... It's from Kevin of Dreams to Reality in Florence KY, he is the one who built and Tuned the CAR! 1986 A2 Golf with a full AWD Synchro system from a Passat, and a 16V Turboed ITB's.

"Honestly, the dyno isn't going to show what we were going for though. The car has STUPID throttle response when I get the fueling spot on. The Turbo is over active everywhere and it is basically waiting with baited breath to take off everytime you basically touch the throttle. He is even considering putting on a larger turbo to deaden the response some as it is almost too much LOL!"

We engineered a LARGER CAM for the Throttle shaft which helped, but the Turbo is Small and spools quickly! It's makeing 300hp as is!

Kevin

l_63c56ec6666e4e41ab53964d12231f75.jpg