HybridZ

My winter project, LD intake (RUNS NOW)

bumble zee

I wanted to try something different that many have not done. I found 1 fast z's page on the Maxima's LD intake on a Z, and I decided I am going to do that. I found a LD intake on ebay and won it for $15. I had a 280zxt intake laying around that I would use for the intake flange, injector bungs, and the throttle body flange. Its taken 4 months of on and off again work, but its together and will be running this week.

What I started with

0508_1.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

My zxt manifold cut

IMG_2062.jpg

Before you weld on the ZXT flange, be sure to port out the runners to the 33-35mm(varies per runner) of the LD intake so you don't have a restriction there.

Looks like a fun project!

Oh its already done... LOL never mind.

You can still port-match it if you haven't already.

OTM

Throttle body had to be on a angle so it wouldnt hit the distributor.

IMG_2340.jpg

Removing the rough sandcast off lower and upper parts of the intake

IMG_2358.jpg

Getting a rough idea for the measurements.

IMG_2362.jpg

My CAD design of what needed to be built for the thottle body so it wouldnt hit the distributor.

3dtbadapter.jpg

Photo_032208_004.jpg

Photo_032208_005.jpg

Photo_032208_006.jpg

Photo_032208_008.jpg

All that remains is, My IC to TB pipe has to have 2 inches cut off the IC side, and have the 30 degree bend on the TB side cut in half and rotated 180 degrees. Also I have to lengthen the fuel line to each injector a little bit to clear a fitting for vacuum. Then install a throttle cable.

I'm not knocking your welding skills at all and the intake looks very nice, but how would you rate yourself as a welder to accomplish something like this? I'd love to start something like this if I could weld better. It really is like art.

My dad did all the welding. He isn't an artist on it since he builds semi's and trailers and the welding doesn't have to look all that great since a lot of it is grinded smooth. I really didnt care what the welds looked like, as long as it had good penetration and didn't have any holes blown through it.