HybridZ

Intake mani porting...too much for a newb?

Calgary280ZT

If you will use thermal dispersant, coat the exterior of the intake manifold. The black coating has a high emissivity in the infra red range.

Coating the exterior of your exhaust manifold/headers, turbo exhaust housing and downpipe will prolong the life of the thermal barrier coating as you will experience a thermal gradient in the coated substrate that will take some of the direct heat from the exhaust. Exposing the barrier coating by coating the interior shortens its life. CermaKrome is the more cosmetically apealing coating....there are others that stand up to higher temps, but don't look as good.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

An option for the intake is to have bakelight ( or some other insulator)spacers mabe to fit between the manifold and head.

I have no info on performance gain , But I do have experience with having a car with and without the spacer.

With the spacer you could hold your finger on the manifold close to the head ,without it you burnt your finger.

I think that would be better than coating.

Col

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I missed his thread, been pretty busy and haven't been on the forums hardly at all. One thing I want to point out is that while the runners flow great, you'll be limited to the size of the TB. Thats where a custom intake can come into play. Our flow bench doesn't have the ability flow much past 340cfm at 28" and I've never bothered flowing it at a lower number and doing the math to see what the entire intake is restricted at. The big point is, that there are major increases that can be had over the stock intake, and having an intake ported (by us or anyone else) that does it this way can be a cost effective way to give the car that much more potential for power.

Just a note for everyone reading... remember, everything on your car is a package and needs to work together. A fancy custom intake will only do so much with a stock head, stock exhaust and so on. It seams that so many people tend to forget this and think there is one magical itme that will net them big power. If any one figures it out...let me know, and I'll take 2!

I dont know who that was directed to but Im going to be working on the Tb opening on my manifold. I have the 60mm tb and will also be making the opening into the plenum smoother. But the larger tb wont do much good if the runners cant flow any better, so Ill have to work on those too.

Like areodynamics, you want a good package. Good comparison is a massive spoiler and a massive cam, by themselves they do nothing, paired with other things they do wonders.

• 1 month later...

Well said, my friend. I was going to chime in but I waited until someone pointed out that porting is not as simple as it sounds. There is a lot of checks and balance that need to be put in place before our "engine" which is basically a big "air pump" (moving air in and out) becomes efficient to the max. I've been reading A LOT ABOUT HEAD PORTING and have been learning a lot about it. Things like "How the AIR wants to flow", the short side radius, where the air wants to "window", the length, angle and area of the port runners, port "biasing", valve shrouding, etc, to say the least.

My only point is that opening up or polishing ports is more involved in itself alone. Opening up port may even cause drops in pressure in low rev situations due to slow filling up of the cylinders because of port velocity losses.

Disclaimer: I AM JUST A LEARNING STUDENT of HEAD PORTING. I AM NOT PROFESSING TO BE AN EXPERT. I just want to share that THERE IS A LOT to be learned about this subject and I really want to get into doing it myself but lack the equipment most specially the "FLOW BENCH".

I would also want to suggest that we have a totally separate "subject matter" on head work and porting. maybe in the "Engine Components" section of our forums. I don't know which administrator to approach so I can suggest this. I am sure, all of us will benefit in having a specific forum for all head work talk on our beloved L engines and who knows, we all could discover the max potential that can be had by sharing ideas.

Thanx for reading.

...Just a note for everyone reading... remember, everything on your car is a package and needs to work together. A fancy custom intake will only do so much with a stock head, stock exhaust and so on. It seams that so many people tend to forget this and think there is one magical itme that will net them big power. If any one figures it out...let me know, and I'll take 2!

Just a quick update guys; got the intake manifold back from James. I have a 60m TB. Just waiting for the Supra injector clips...bought a set, guy is a week late getting them to me, starting to get nervous, we'll see.

Should start installing next week. I'll post some pics and occasional update as we go. Hope to have the car ready to drive by August long weekend.

• 5 months later...
  • 9 years later...